This is incredible
  • A special thanks to Corpus Watershed, Jeffrey Ostrowski, and Arlene Oost-Zinner for this. I don't need to say any more. It speaks for itself magnificently. Please post and pass around

• Pes
    At 270 participants and growing, CMAA no longer needs to play defense. This is a movement with momentum, with extremely high-quality leaders.

For parish chant and polyphony, CMAA is where you want to be. You are missing a new liturgical music movement if you don't attend.

And it's true.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Too cool! Pes is right. The time for defense is over. We don't need to apologize ever again for what we love.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Boyoboy, Jeff & crew are awesome. I forwarded this on to my schola and DM!
    Carl
  • Nice job Jeff. You almost sound authoritative ; )

Passing this on to my group.
  • Beautiful and inspiring--kudos to Jeffrey O. and Arlene! I'll be sending this around too, including to my pastor. My parish music director says: "I'm pre-Vatican II, so I don't do Internet." Too bad for him, he would be inspired too.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I have a slight problem with the voice....but otherwise I am happy with how it came out. :-) ;-)

If you really really like it a lot, please consider donating a few dollars to Corpus Christi Watershed, because they donated a LOT of $$$ to make this Trailer happen.
  • Towards the end of that clip I get chills up and down my spine.
  • francis
    JO:

Great work. You are right. Dub in a new narrator and it will be top notch. Use a good Neuman, a 414 or some other great acoustic mic in isolation.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I have been amazed by the response this has gotten from a few people I've shown it to.

I am talking about people from all walks of life. A janitor at my school overheard me listening to this, and immediately fell in love. Then he immediately went online to buy Sacred music CD's. Another friend (who sings very well) watched it and immediately said (and I quote): "OH MY!!!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!!! I WANT TO GO!!!! i never heard of it. wow im so kinda envious that you went."

To this end, I think we should investigate trying to get this into the public view (like on CatholicExchange.com or EWTN or something).

Unfortunately, this costs money, and CMAA is TOTALLY stretched as it is.

To this end, I would like to publicly pledge $75 to playing this clip in a "public" Catholic spot (whether on EWTN or a major Catholic website).

Perhaps others on this forum will pledge money, too (by responding to this thread).

Then, if enough people pledge, perhaps Jeffrey Tucker will see what we are up to, and maybe we can get this thing played to bring in people who have never heard of the CMAA.

I don't know if this will work, or if it is a dumb idea, but I don't think we have anything to lose.

[I do know that the public response and pledges to the reprinting of the NOH was huge thanks to this forum.]
  • eft94530eft94530
    I guess our member-of-an-almost-secret-society days will soon be coming to an end.

Just checked my email.
    My pastor sent me the URL pointing to the gasparian blog which features the trailer.
  • ha ha !

• miacoyne
    Is there anyway I can embed the video clip in the email to friends and priests?
    Mia
  • This is absolutely incredible.

I attended the 2008 Colloquium. And even though I was anxious about joining this gathering and that it might not meet my professional and personal expectations for its success, I can say with unequivocal certainty, it was exactly what I needed. Spiritually I was thrust forward, musically I was challenged and theologically I was given some assurances that I am proceeding in the right direction. The professionalism manifested by the leadership and all who attended set in my mind, at least, a very high standard. Yet, at the same time, it was one of the most hospitable large scale gathering I have ever attended. Who could ask for more?

I have discussed this wonder web page with many of my colleagues and am encouraging them to attend next year’s colloquium. I am also planning on bring a few musicians from my own parish to the colloquium.

I am a board member of the Sacred Music Institute of the University of Texas in Austin and we met the other day at which I invited them to view the web page. And to my great surprise Jeff’s wonderful YouTube selection is on the page. I am blow away. It is incredible. Magnificent.

Truly this is one of the best promotional tools I have seen for any Church effort in a long time. It rates up there with many of the best.

I will be sending it out to many people. Even if they never attend a Colloguium it will help plant a seed.
  • anyone can embed it. yes. Just go to the youtube page and copy the embed code
  • miacoyne
    I copied the code and pasted it in the email. But I don't see the screen. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.
  • Jeff. Your voice sounds just fine to me. It's clear, and easy to listen to. I don't like to hear my voice played back to me either. We all have to rely on others' opinions of how we sound.

Does anyone think this would come across on radio? Or can it be modified for radio broadcast? If so, email me privately.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Indeed the impact is powerful. I had toyed with the idea of attending in 2009 a month or two ago and priced it out, but was intimidated by the sticker shock (the price is actually a bargain, but I'm a guy who NEVER takes vacations except to drive up to the lake cabin by grandmother owns). After seeing the video I was renewed and excited, and now my wife has opened a new sub-account in our savings so that I can raise the cash to go. Thanks for all the work you folks do at the CMAA!
  • 5,555 views as of this post (not a joke).

Unfortunately (or not), this will no longer be an accurate view count; I've just posted a copy of the video to the liturgy forum at the Catholic social networking site 4marks.com*. We'll see what the response there is.

Excellent job, Jeff; you have not even begun to see the fruits of your labors.

*Trivia tidbit: this site was started by a couple of gentlemen from the Pittsburgh Latin Mass community.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hi, Aristotle.

Yay! 6,043 views!

There is one thing I don't understand: why do I keep watching it? After all, I was involved in the production, and therefore had to watch it over and over and over.

I think, perhaps, the reason is part and parcel with the Colloquium itself. When I was at the Colloquium, I kept saying, "This is so incredible! I can't believe this! This is amazing!"

Now, when I watch that clip, I see the Colloquium, and all the good memories come back.

I watched it again this morning, and (for the millionth time) got shivers up my spine toward the end. Many others have said this to me as well, but I don't understand why the spine-tingles don't wear off....

I don't have a favorite part of the video, by the way ---- each clip (to me) is better than the next. Does anyone else agree?

It would be wonderful if we could get this clip on some priest blogs --- I think a lot of priests would want to come to the Colloquium.
  • G
    It would be wonderful if we could get this clip on some priest blogs

Have you emailed Father Z?

I don't have a favorite part of the video, by the way ---- each clip (to me) is better than the next. Does anyone else agree?

Absolutely not... it is clearly the 2 seconds when the corner of my head is visible ;oP

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    HAHA!

I love that 2 seconds!
  • The same thing happens to me. Re-produces the same shivers each time I watch it. This is very very good media. A year's worth of work, 7 days of conferencing, all boiled down to 2 mins, and it is exceptional!
  • chonakchonak
    Fr. Jeff Keyes, C.PP.S., [CMAA member] has blogged it at http://gasparian.stblogs.org/ .
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Fr. Jeff is great! He is one of the Chabanel composers!
  • Hi, Aristotle. I went to http://www.4marks.com/and was not able to find the CMAA video. am I doing something wrong?
  • AOZ
    Loyola has asked to link it on their website. It is everywhere.
  • A friend of mine showed this video to me. (Praise the Lord!)

I am visiting this site for the first time and I think its amazing! What content! I'm in awe and overjoyed to know that there is a group such as this that shares my love of sacred music! =D

I will definitely be passing this on
  • great to have you here Gabrieli!
  • BruceL
    I'm trying to sell it to everyone...I'd be there in '09, but I'll be on my honeymoon...bummer (although the whole marriage thing I am looking forward to.)
  • 9,000 views.

Proposal for online party when it hits 10,000
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Only a Church musician could utter this!

"I'd be there in '09, but I'll be on my honeymoon...bummer"
  • Speaking of honeymoons... wouldn't it be something for a future Colloquium Saturday Mass to be an actual Nuptial Mass, with either the bride or the groom being a CMAA member? Who'd be crazy enough to actually propose that?*

(*Well, yes, I've kicked the idea around in my head for some time; thus the comment. But without a prospective bride on the radar, I can't seriously propose this for my own situation...)
  • chonakchonak
    What do you mean, "either"? You would consider marrying a non-member??
  • Wouldn't that be a "mixed" marriage of some sort? I remember my wedding in St Augustine. I was glad to be at the altar, but part of me wanted to be singing the Renaissance Mass with my friends...
  • we'll need an IRC channel for the online party - Jeff can you hook us up with a channel and a Java IRC client that forum users can just click from the homepage?
  • Of course, I omitted the combination of CMAA member marrying CMAA member. But now that it's been brought up, one must remember that "converting" a non-member is always an option ;-)
  • G
    "Speaking of honeymoons... wouldn't it be something for a future Colloquium Saturday Mass to be an actual Nuptial Mass, with either the bride or the groom being a CMAA member? Who'd be crazy enough to actually propose that?"

BRILLIANT idea!!!!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    Our schola sang for a "betrothal" once. Our fellow parishioner Michael Foley (now a professor at Baylor) was a theology student at Boston College and had found and translated an old rite for the purpose. So with the help of Fr. Matthew Lamb, he and his fiancee professed their future intention to marry during an OF Mass at St. Mary's Chapel. It was lovely.

(Sorry, don't ask me what we sang, 'cause I don't remember at all.)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    We are at 9,441 views ---- will we be able to get to 10,000 before tomorrow afternoon?

If we do, that means we reached 10,000 in less than a week.

help us out by viewing the clip
  • miacoyne
    I'm trying to send this to Korean chanters in Korea. And it also occurred to me that if we can somehow have a poster, something like pull-out poster in the next issue of Sacred music journal, I could hang in the musicroom in our church, so more people can see it. (A poster with a press button to hear the music, just kidding)
  • incantuincantu
    I e-mailed this to practically everyone I know, with the subject "How I Spent My Summer Vacation." I have been shocked how many people actually wacthed and who have commented about it to me.
  • Searching the internet, I also see that this one is an interesting clip as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0wsPnWngmQ
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    We just hit 10,000 views !!!
  • miacoyne
    Do we need cheese and wine and some balloons for the on-line party?
  • I will definitely pass this along to my friends, Catholic and non-Catholic alike.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hurray for 12,000 !
  • gregpgregp
    So, Jeff O, what's the plan for all the rest of the footage you shot during the Colloquium? Will that be coming out at some point?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Greg, I think CD's are the next thing on the to-do list. I promise to let all know what is happening as soon as I learn anything. In Christ, JMO
  • I have two DVDs taken from the balcony on a stable camera in the same spot all week. I enjoyed them, but I don't know how exciting it would be youtubed.