Unenforceable patchwork of rhetoric?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2014/dec/30/pathetic-unenforceable-patchwork-rhetoric-latin/

Can we talk about this?

"Does the Constitution [on the Sacred Liturgy] have any legal force, or is it merely a pathetic, unenforceable patchwork of rhetoric?"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I reject the premise.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW rob BruceL
  • chonakchonak
    Can we talk about this?
    Hm? Nobody's stopping you.
  • Well, this is a quote from a letter written in 1966. People at the time were doing stuff that seemed to the writer contrary to what SC prescribed. (Yawn.) More important questions for us today are: given that Sacrosanctum Concilium was addressed to specific problems of its time, is it really an important guide for us today? And if it is, how should we apply it's critical principles to the contemporary liturgy? For example, are features of the mass such as the responsorial psalm, the OT reading and gospel acclamation best now understood as accretions that should be excised in order to return to a nobler, simpler order of worship?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • rob
    As do I. As soon as we begin to discuss matters of love in terms of the enforceability of legal rights we lose the only argument worth having.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Well, I think the author raises some important questions. If SC was written in order to provide a set of guidelines and principles for the the liturgy and is meant to be applied to the Novus Ordo...

Is it supposed to have legal force? As it was written, can it be applied in this way? If it can, should it? What would the benefits and drawbacks of this be?
  • chonakchonak
    The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy doesn't exist in a void.

The subsequent editions of the Roman Missal were issued with papal authority. Also, there were various curial documents with norms and instructions; all issued with papal permission, and some with express papal authority. The Council does not outrank the Pope, so even if there's a gap between what the Council called for and what the Pope finally directed, we have to follow what he directed.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW
    The Council does not outrank the Pope, so even if there's a gap between what the Council called for and what the Pope finally directed, we have to follow what he directed.

The whole world has changed since then. Those nostalgic for the past tend to look there for solutions. I believe we are going to have to begin with current realities and look for improvements in the future.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • dad29
    Umnnhhh....well, then, it seems you suggest that the prescriptions of the Council have been superceded by Papal legislation, and that they are void.

You would toss 50 years of angst?
  • Chonak, you seem to be saying that SC is practically speaking no longer a point of reference for the liturgy of the Roman Rite. If I may hazard a guess, none of the popes since Paul VI would agree with this. They would say that SC is definitive and that there is no gap.
  • Arthur,

Every pope since Paul VI has also insisted that we are in the midst of a great spring time of the Church......

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • '...accretions...'

I reject emphatically the would-be premise that the responsorial psalm, the first lesson, and the alleluya and its verse are accretions of dispensable worth. They are, in fact, chief among the positive features of the NO. We have the first lesson as a restoration of ancient practice, and one that, paired with the gospel, is potent with typological and prophetic value. We have the responsorial psalm, which restores the ancient and truncated gradual responsory to its original form and purpose (though musical justice has yet to be done to it). And, as for the 'gospel acclamation', well, it has been a part of every western rite for more or less fifteen hundred years: it is neither accretion nor innovation. Alleluya (O praise and bless Yaweh - allelu-Ya) is what we sing ecstatically when we are about to hear the holy gospel. (Not that the cute little triple ones in R&A and such even begin to do it justice! They are an ecclesiological disgrace.)

So, what's wrong with the NO? Take away some 'this or similar words' rubrics, add some 'do this' rubrics and scratch the choices, then celebrate it the way it might be celebrated at Walsingham or by an high church Anglican and it would be the gift it was meant to be.
  • chonakchonak
    "dad29" writes:
    Umnnhhh....well, then, it seems you suggest that the prescriptions of the Council have been superceded by Papal legislation, and that they are void.

You would toss 50 years of angst?

Arthur Connick writes:
    Chonak, you seem to be saying that SC is practically speaking no longer a point of reference for the liturgy of the Roman Rite. If I may hazard a guess, none of the popes since Paul VI would agree with this. They would say that SC is definitive and that there is no gap.

I think both of these comments are misrepresenting what I wrote above. If you want to challenge my claims of fact or challenge the interpretations I wrote, feel free. But it is wrong for you make up exaggerations and try to pretend that I wrote them, or suggested them, etc. I particularly object to the attempt by the so-called "dad29" to portray me as dismissing the suffering of Catholics.

[Note: I have edited my response here to tone down my expressions of offense at the above misrepresentations.--RC]
    Thanked by 3Kathy eft94530 kenstb
  • As long as the enemies of the Church exalt "the spirit of Vatican II", I'm going to insist on "the letter of Vatican II". This is a society where the rule of law is largely dead. It needs to be recovered. But to think that we'll canon-lawyer our way into good liturgy is absurd.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    But to think that we'll canon-lawyer our way into good liturgy is absurd.

True. Add to this the fact that no one on this forum has any real authority to do anything. It is going to take bishops who actually care about good liturgy.
  • dad29
    Chonak: pixels do not convey humor very well; that was the intention of the 'angst' crack.

But to the substance: IrishT wrote:

...If SC was written in order to provide a set of guidelines and principles for the the liturgy and is meant to be applied to the Novus Ordo...

Is it supposed to have legal force? As it was written, can it be applied in this way? If it can, should it? What would the benefits and drawbacks of this be? ...

To which you responded:

...The subsequent editions of the Roman Missal were issued with papal authority. Also, there were various curial documents with norms and instructions; all issued with papal permission, and some with express papal authority. The Council does not outrank the Pope, so even if there's a gap between what the Council called for and what the Pope finally directed, we have to follow what he directed....

On plain reading, you have proposed that SC has been superceded by 'norms and instructions....[of the Pope]'.

It cannot be both. Either SC's prescriptions are in force, or they are not. You say (and we all know) that most of them are not. You further say that this is due to papal regulation or papally-approved committee writings.

Hmmmmm?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Liam
    The Constitution is not a "constitution" in the American legal sense.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    The conferences of bishops have been given much authority over the liturgy in their own countries. SC doesn't over-ride that authority.
  • Kathy
    Just my 2¢, I think Chonak and dad29(and others) are having an important discussion. I don't have a dog in the fight but the question of competence in the legal sense is a serious question.
  • True. Add to this the fact that no one on this forum has any real authority to do anything. It is going to take bishops who actually care about good liturgy.

Yes and no to both extremes.

I do have authority, flowing from the Pastor, who gets his from the bishop, and on up it goes. If I didn't, or had the sense that I didn't, I wouldn't be here, but somewhere else where I'm respected enough to have it.

Diocesan music directors do (should) have authority given them by their bishop.

However - with that said, on the flip side, the bishops don't have much authority, and neither does anyone. Maybe on paper they do, but make enough people mad and even they are subject to "firing." The so-called "bling bishop" found that out, as have some here in America.

The Church is really quite circular, and no one except the Pope really has great "authority," although I suspect that even he fears losing the confidence of people and becoming irrelevant.

As far as the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy goes, I don't see where the animus is coming from. It was promulgated by the Council and laid out ideals for the liturgy.
  • CharlesW
    As far as the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy goes, I don't see where the animus is coming from. It was promulgated by the Council and laid out ideals for the liturgy.

I don't see any animus, just that lawful church authority has permitted other ways of operating and has delegated authority away from Rome.
  • I was referring to other posters with that sentence.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I agree with my namesake, PGA, I don't sense any animus thus far. I rejected the premise of IT's question because my sentiments about my professional relationships to legislation and human authority are nearly identical to yours, as described above. Non-starter for me, thass all.
  • Chonak, if the mandates and principles of SC may be changed by subsequent editions of the Roman Missal and various curial documents issued with papal permission, then are not these later sources the sole legitimate points of reference for the liturgy? And if SC continues to be authoritative, why don't the critical principles it applies to the received liturgy of its time also apply to the liturgy of our day?
  • MJO, I don't think that settling on one particular form of the liturgy is a practical solution. The genius of the modern liturgy is that it can be celebrated in whatever manner is ideal for the individuals or groups towards which it is directed. That's why people like it.

Regarding "accretions", the point is that the changes introduced into the liturgy in the last 50 years are accretions that took place right before our eyes! As soon as they become unhelpful, aren't they ripe for pruning? (NB: I meant Memorial rather than Gospel acclamation. Indeed the Alleluia and its versicle accreted some 1,500 years ago.)
  • Man, I hope that Memorial Acclamation goes soon.
  • All this is a bit like asking the following questions about the Declaration of Independence:

-Does it have any legal force? Can you cite it in court to compel others to do what you want?

-If it doesn't have legal force, isn't it just empty, meaningless rhetoric? Why write a Declaration of Independence at all if it was just going to be superseded by the Constitution and other laws?

Sacrosanctum Concilium was not intended to operate as a legal code. Rather, it was intended to provide a framework and guidelines for subsequent revision of the liturgy by the competent authorities.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Too many people (both pro- and anti-) read SC as if it was the beginning of something. As if it kicked off the mess that followed.

I think it is more helpful to read it as a sort of documentary culmination of the early 20th c. liturgical movement.

Read in that context, it seems to me that not only is it still "valid" it is still deeply needed.

Moreover, I think that [some of] the Extraordinary Form and Reform-of-the-Reform movement communities are where SC's guiding principles and underlying philosophy are most firmly established.
  • About the Memorial Acclamation -
    Is this or is it not a real accretion?
    I know of no precedent for it in western liturgy.
    Does anyone here know from where was the inspiration for it?
    To me it is very disruptive of flow in the canon, + not all the choices are very 'acclamatory' but are rather commentary. On the face of it, at its best, it is understood as a genuine solemn acclamation of Christ now with us sacramentally following the elevation. This may parallel the acclamation of a new emperor by the Roman populace when he was presented to them. But some of the weepy musical settings rather defeat this ethos, as do some of the maudlin choices of acclamation. While this acclamation could be a splendid moment, I would have to side with its detractors because it is not splendid in practice, but merely a disruptive interjection which stalls the contextual flow. The best one we had was the 'Christ has died....' one, which has been dropped. It was succinct, pungent, and emphatic, in a word, acclamatory (but disruptive).
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • chonakchonak
    The memorial acclamation exists in the Maronite liturgy.
  • francis
    another perspective to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEQIq4_AKI
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • CharlesW
    We easterners never thought any of them were Councils of the Church after the first seven. What's his point? LOL.
  • francis
    Well, I would say there are two points:

(1st, by the time stamp I would venture to say you did not even listen to the video) then:

1. The content of what is published
    2. Your relationship to it

Curious: Since you don't believe the RC church holds councils that define dogma after the first seven, why are you interested in this topic?
  • CharlesW
    No easterners, Catholic or Orthodox, accept any councils after the first seven as ecumenical. They were Latin church councils, and rarely, if ever, addressed anything in the east. In my own church, it is part of the treaty of reunification with Rome that we only accept the first seven councils as ecumenical.

I have been told by several others in the know, that Vatican II might come closer to being ecumenical than council 8 onward, because it had many churches represented there. Perhaps? I think not, but some would disagree.

Fr. Hesse: Hardly an impartial source, maybe even a bit of a trad reactionary, or so I have heard. Should he be taken seriously?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Should he be taken seriously?

I find him quite entertaining.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    He is dead, btw. He lived from 1953-2006.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam wrote:
    Too many people (both pro- and anti-) read SC as if it was the beginning of something. As if it kicked off the mess that followed.
    Compare the mainstream liturgical reform efforts of the 1950s to SC, and it is clear that the changes to the liturgy called for by SC were very widely accepted well before the Council. What SC did is allow these reform impulses to move forward with the endorsement of the bishops, and so in a sense it is the initiator of what follows.

But did SC, or for that matter the Concilium, cause the "mess"? Both are reflections of the time: excessive optimism in the common man adhering to the highest ideals, and abject confidence in "the assured results of science". A lot of people at the time (and today!) shared these same ideas. So who's at fault?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • francis
    So who's at fault:

Modernism plain and simple. It infected the whole tree save for a tiny part of the root.
  • francis
    I take no man seriously. I only seek for what is the truth. As far as Hesse goes, I haven't found anything he said that wasn't spot on. Have you? Impressive mind.
  • Modernism is a collection of ideas and perspectives. If it has infected the whole tree, what is the antidote?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    And yet it seems that there was a project in the works during Pope Benedict's pontificate to implement SC's call for the use of Latin and Gregorian chant in the OF, but unfortunately it never saw the light of day.

Msgr. Juan-Miguel Ferrer Grenesche, one of the two former Ratzingerian under-secretaries of the Congregation for Divine Worship (who were recently purged in favor of Bugninists), in 2012 presented a paper entitled THE NEW DUTIES OF THE CONGREGATION FOR DIVINE WORSHIP IN THE PROMOTION OF SACRED MUSIC AFTER THE MOTU PROPRIO "QUAERIT SEMPER" OF BENEDICT XVI. It is available to read on Sandro Magister's website here.

He had these specific plans (pending the approval of Cardinal Bertone) to expand officially the use of Latin and chant:

". . . it is evident that in order to reclaim the issue of music in liturgical celebrations, the congregation, making its own the teachings of Pope Benedict XVI and his immediate predecessors on the matter, must guarantee:

1. the preparation of updated and official instruments in order to be able to celebrate with song the Roman liturgy in the Latin language;

2. clarity and facility for the celebration of the Roman rite in the ordinary form in the vernacular language, singing in part or in full the ordinary and/or the propers of the Mass or the divine office in Gregorian or polyphonic melodies based on the liturgical text in Latin;

3. the existence of updated criteria in order to be able to apply the principles of gradualism defined in "Musicam Sacram," both for celebration in the Latin language and for celebration in the vernacular language (directory);

4. the existence of a sure normative framework that responds to the purpose of establishing appropriate national repertoires destined to take on little by little an official value, in such a way that the use of other songs would require an authorization "ad casum" on the part of the respective ordinary: this is another matter for the future directory.

I hope with this [...] that the application of the motu proprio "Quaerit semper" may represent for sacred music a new stage of splendor and beauty: without it, the liturgy would see itself deprived of one of its most eloquent and substantial expressive elements."
  • francis
    antidote:

Only one thing will satisfy heaven. Nothing else. The request of Our Lady of Fatima. Otherwise, there is no reversing anything.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Also, in the same Sandro Magister article cited above, it mentions the following:

Msgr. Ferrer announced that the congregation for divine worship will soon be endowed with an office for liturgical art and music that will finally apply, all over the world, the prescriptions of the Church unheeded until now, the rebirth of Gregorian chant first among them.

Alas, these fine plans never came to fruition, but such were the intentions of our Bavarian pope.
  • CharlesW
    Only one thing will satisfy heaven. Nothing else. The request of Our Lady of Fatima. Otherwise, there is no reversing anything.

So what is left? According to one of those recently canonized popes, the consecration was done, accepted, and that was that. Sister Lucia verified it. What request?
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • chonakchonak
    For Francis, all discussions of problems in the Church lead to one topic, the allegedly unfulfilled requests of our Lady at Fatima.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    That's my question. How are they unfulfilled? John Paul II specifically said he made the consecration and Sister Lucia said it was accepted. The only one I know of who doesn't accept it is the infamous Fr. Gruner. He's not credible and his empire crumbles if the consecration is valid.
  • chonakchonak
    That's off-topic. This thread is about the Council documents.
  • Yes, ...pray. And then we have to do something. "Doing" includes listening to what people are saying, and developing rational arguments in defense of the truth. In this respect, the second vatican council is a helpful guide.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Here is the recipe for bran muffins.

1 1/2 cups wheat bran

1 cup buttermilk

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
    Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
    Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I always suspected there was a muffin recipe somewhere in those Council documents. Must have been in Musicam Allbranam. St. Kellogg, pray for us.

• ghmus7
    This forum provides hours (mostly g rated) of free entertainment. Kudos to you all!