AVE REGINA CAELORUM for 3 equal voices [Dingess]
  • ryandryand
    Antiphon between Candlemas and Easter
    (February 2 to April 5 for the year 2015)

Hail, O Queen of Heaven enthroned.
    Hail, by angels mistress owned.
    Root of Jesse, Gate of Morn
    Whence the world's true light was born:
    Glorious Virgin, Joy to thee,
    Loveliest whom in heaven they see;
    Fairest thou, where all are fair,
    Plead with Christ our souls to spare.

Cantus firmus (simple tone) in tertius voice.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    When I sang along, I wanted to carry the "DO" of Ave Domina Angelorum across the down beat: you have: A-ve DO -- -MI-na AN-ge . That would require a consonance, I guess, on the MI if shifted a half beat forward, so another voice would have to move at the same time. Also the mp3 made the sharp dissonance on -ve, same place, sound fine, but I'm not sure it would work so well really ... to me it seemed the first voice really wanted to sink down to the C# on that note, with the second voice finding something else to do.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • ryandryand
    On the Domina, are you suggesting that the Do be moved to the second half of the measure (the F# in 1st voice)? Or that the Mi be moved forward? Either way, the other voices could be adjusted - two half notes with different syllables instead of the sustained whole note, or adjusting the existing rhythm of the harmonies.

That dissonance (also appears in m61) is probably going to be tough for some amateur choirs, but I have heard similar gestures in a lot of choral music that I like and I know it can be done by skilled singers. The preceding consonance, and the D being already established, I hope create a context to where it is not too difficult to execute for groups of more modest talent.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Ryan, as a minor modification, I was proposing that you hold the DO of Domina for another half measure and shift the MI forward. I think your reasoning is good about difficulty, just the sound seemed harsh; but you are the composer so ...
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • ryandryand
    I AM THE COMPOSER.

I think I understand what you are saying with the Domina. At least whatever I'm getting from it makes sense. ;) I will post an edited score later and see if we're on the same page. I like what's in my head about it though, whether or not it lines up with what you're thinking. Doesn't matter because I AM THE COMPOSER.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • ryandryand
    /purple bold