Best article/essay for a deacon?
  • gregpgregp
    My brother, who just turned 50, is halfway through his third year of study toward the permanent diaconate. He knows little of music, but is open-minded and traditionally inclined; his course of study, however, is, to put it bluntly, not very helpful as far as I can see. He won't even be learning about the liturgy until his fourth year, so he hasn't had any exposure to any study or scholarship at all on the ordinary form, much less the extraordinary form.

Before he started his studies, I asked him if he knew anything about the Latin Mass, and he said no, and asked if he should ask his instructors about it. I told him that under no circumstances should he even mention it, but he should keep his ears open. I'm fairly sure that whatever instruction he does receive about the liturgy will be almost entirely functional; I.e., stand here; move there when this happens, etc.

My question for you, gentle readers, is: can you recommend a short article or essay that is online and will best introduce him to the concept of the place that music should have in the liturgy? Remembering specifically that he is not a musician, will be a permanent deacon, and is in an ocean of beige mediocrity - his parish musical director plays in a band, and their weekend Mass schedules include one guitar Mass, one Mass without music, and a choir Mass with piano and saxophone.. Also, unfortunately, I do not live anywhere near him, so I have no way of directly talking, encouraging, coaching, etc.

Many thanks in advance.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    How are things in Salinas/Monterrey, my friend?
    Boy, what a great subject. We have deacons sprouting up everywhere eastward of you, and tons in our fair burg. Not a one of 'em could tell you the difference between an ordinary and a proper! Status quo. SNAFU in military terms.
    Idea One-
    Share with your brother the specific liturgical tasks a deacon performs vocally at Mass.
    Those would include the invocations under the option (A?) of the Kyrie, the proclamation of the Gospel, the invitation to the exchange of peace, the "ite Missa est," etc. Being the provenance of the deacon, he could opt to chant each and every one of those (after learning them) of his own volition. I can't think of a necessity to confer with a celebrant a priori, as I don't recognize a responsibility to pre-confer with one over matters that are licitly under my jurisdiction. I can't speak to the "after-effect." If he (or I) am ordered to cease and
    desist, I am well aware of subsidiarity and fealty. But I am equally aware of licit and ideal magisterial legislation, of which I can choose to cite if called to the carpet.
    I can honestly say that regarding matters of chanting, that has never happened to me under three pastorates in 23 years. In point of fact, when I mentioned the chanting of the Kalenda prior to Midnight, the "new" pastor and a vicar said, "Cool, I'll be back at the narthex early enough to hear it, haven't heard that since seminary." Did it in Latin, too.
    It's not video, but you could well guide him!
    You still coming over in '15?
    C
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would recommend our Bishop's four part series on singing the Mass:

http://www.adoremus.org/0512SingingtheMass.html

• eft94530eft94530
    gregp: online and will best introduce him to the concept of the place that music should have in the liturgy?

Why not the Vatican Council Two docs ?
    www.vatican.va
    English
    Resource Library
    II Vatican Council
    Sacrosanctum Concilium English

Why not the GIRM ?
    www.vatican.va
    English
    Roman Curia
    Congregations
    Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
    Missale Romanum
    Institutio Generalis Missale Romanum English

And, of course, follow through on reading the footnotes.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The odds are good that most Deacons had to "read" SC and GIRM as part of their formation. Now, how in-depth they got in their reading might be a different matter...

Having them read articles written from an American perspective (like +Olmsted's Sing the Mass) might lead to them rereading and appreciating primary-source documents.
  • gregpgregp
    I don't know what he has to read as part of his formation, but it also occurred to me that Archbishop Sample's letter on sacred music might also be helpful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen