Day retreat: Has anyone arranged a day for musicians for a wider group than your own choir?
  • canadashcanadash
    I would like to fundraise to attend the Colloquium in the summer. I thought I could possibly put on a day retreat and invite musicians from neighbouring parishes to attend. Any thoughts?
  • Kathy
    I think it's a good idea. Why not ping Jenny D for some ideas?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks Kathy.

Most of our neighbouring parishes are typical of what people on this forum complain about. What would you say are the most important things to speak on? These topics need to be simple. Most musicians are not well educated on any of the documents (as far as I can tell).

I sing for funerals at a parish where the organist looked at me with complete confusion when I mentioned chanting the "Requiem" or the "In Paradisum." I played a funeral a week or so ago where a group of elderly men attended. They wanted to sit in the loft and sing these chants and were ecstatic when I agreed because they said that organists have refused them.

I have some ideas such as

-why it is important to sing the Mass and why chanting is key to understanding what music is appropriate for Mass
    -reading chant notation and chanting the ordinary
    -how to pronounce latin
    -introducing websites such as this one and others like it
    -where to find good free music such as Frog press and CPDL

Any other ideas are appreciated.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    You sound like you're describing more of a workshop than a retreat.

If you want to do a retreat sing Lauds, have a speaker, have lunch and social time, then some reflections or something, then end with Mass or Vespers.

If you want to do a workshop on sacred music, then do a workshop on sacred music.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Have a retreat.

Your CONTEMPORARY CATHOLIC MUSIC confreres around the diocese don't want to come to a workshop to be told they are doing things wrong.

But they might come to something where there is a promise of being able to relax a bit. You can chant a liturgy or two (Lauds and Mass/Vespers, as @matthewj suggests). The impact of touching people spiritually with a little good music will be much more powerful and lasting than telling them a bunch of things.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • It's a thought that's crossed my mind. I'd have it at home, but there's not enough parking, and I don't have another place easily available. My thoughts for such an event would be either a chant workshop, or a "Motet sing with dinner on the grounds" (in the style of a Sacred Harp sing). You'd have to figure out how to monetize such a thing though.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I've decided to have a musicians' retreat... now comes the work....

Can anyone give me ideas as to how to bill this event? I plan to have two speakers, one is my associate and another is well known and respected in the liturgical music world in this area.

I think if I advertise it as a "chant" retreat, no one will show up. I asked a couple of people about using the "rest,pray,reflect" idea and they said that it is not compelling enough for people to take a day away and spend $20.

I've decided it will be more of a retreat. The plan is to sing lauds, have adoration/benediction and Mass. We will have shorter choir rehearsals to learn a couple of SEP (sorry Matthew) chants, one from the Graduale (we have a cantor who is very good at chant) and the Gregorian ordinary. I also want to use Giffen's "Parce Domine" and sing a Gelineau Psalm. There will be lunch and breaks.

I also plan on giving out some information on where music can be accessed. People don't know about CPDL, Petrucci, CCWatershed....

Ideas on marketing?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Ideas on marketing?

Different ways and music to sing and play at Mass you may have never experienced before. Come, experience and go home refreshed after Mass is celebrated.

Don't mention Chant, Latin, the GIRM, any documents with a Latin name...but you could start out with a Taize chant with its Latin response to break the ice.

And don't explain or teach, Just do it and then take questions afterwards.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash

And don't explain or teach, Just do it and then take questions afterwards.

Exactly! My choir wasn't keen on propers or the Latin ordinary, but now, they miss it when they go to other parishes.
  • Kathy
    "Early music retreat" might work. But honestly "Chant retreat" might be a bigger draw than you expect.

Check with your diocesan newspaper and if they have a free calendar you can list it there. Small ads are even probably cheap. Nearby parishes will probably fit a notice into their bulletins.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • Local classical radio station. Might even get yourself an on-air interview. Welcome non-Catholics. T
    Thanked by 1canadash