Responsorial psalm: origin, purpose, propriety, merit
  • There are few moments in the modern Roman liturgy so “interesting” as the responsorial psalm, as seen in several discussions that have occurred on this forum over time.

Recently a discussion transpired over the purpose/nature of the psalm(/canticle): is it a “response” to the first reading, or is it named “responsorial” because its “default”, rubrically preferred form is responsorial? MJO and CHG decried the former interpretation, in response to which I posted a quote from Abp. Bugnini, effectively the “architect” of the modern RP, that specifically states that the psalm’s purpose is to respond to and to complete the first reading. (Responses from the aforementioned did not indicate a change in stance on any side!)

I would like for this thread to broaden the discussion to questions such as:

1) Are there records from the early Church to indicate the ritual intent of the psalm between the lessons? i.e., was Abp. Bugnini thoroughly off-base in his intent that the RP be itself a “response”?

2) What is to be thought of Dr. Mahrt’s rather “damning” take on the RP (relative to the graduals) in “The Musical Shape of the Liturgy”?

3) How have you “solved” the logistical problems of the RP? e.g.: selection/training of a suitable cantor, “why don’t *I* get to do a psalm”, the apparent contradiction between the simplicity of almost all RP settings versus the need for a well-trained singer for good tone and intonation, etc.

4) Were we to alter the modern RP, what changes would be most gainful?

I once applied for a cathedral position at which the rector insisted that money for paid singers be used to have a single cantor at several Masses versus having paid singers at one Mass where a solid choir could develop. The imprudence of this was a fairly recent realization for me at the time, but in the years since that experience it has seemed to me that a ritual moment that requires a trained, prepared solo singer (not necessarily paid, but certainly above-average!) is an awkward, even impractical “requirement” for the post-V2 Mass.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Very interesting post. I hope you get some thoughtful responses.
  • francis
    Bugnini?
  • JonLaird
    1. The evidence I believe is pretty clear from Augustine that (a) the psalm is equal in importance to the other readings, and (b) the congregation sings a response to the psalm. I do not have quotes available at the moment. But since his use of the word "respond" by Augustine refers to the congregation singing and not to the whole psalm itself being a response, the interpretation by MJO etc seems correct. If memory serves me correctly from my studies, this is the universal scholarly opinion as well. I never even heard of the other view until it was mentioned on this forum. Bugnini was not among the scholars we read regarding the early history of the liturgy (I do not mean to insinuate anything by that; just explaining my unfamiliarity with the theory).

2. I have not read it so I cannot comment.

3. I have a single professional singer who cantors all Masses and is a section leader in the choir. If she's not there I would just lead it a cappella by myself (easy enough to do with the Chabanel psalms).
  • Francis: cf. Bugnini “The Reform of the Liturgy”, pretty much a start-to-finish history from the one guy who was consistently there before, during, and after.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't know if this fits your questions, exactly, because it is just an opinion...

I think a [Resp.] Psalm (most of a Psalm text, sung in a way that highlights the text) is a more sensible form than a Gradual (a tiny bit of a Psalm text, sung in a way that highlights the singer and the melody), especially in the context of the Novus Ordo Mass in the Vernacular.

(Whether "sensible" is quality to be sought in liturgy is a whole other issue.)

As to what form the inter-lesson Psalm/Catnicle ought to take (Refrain-Verse-R-V-R, Antiphon-Verses-Antiphon, Straight-through, etc....): I increasingly lean toward a straight-through chanting (Anglican style) by either the whole congregation or the choir (acting as representatives of the congregation).

Refrain-style encourages a lot of badness. Even at its best, it breaks up the PSalm in a weird way, and encourages the congregation to wait around for it part to sing. We can't participate in the whole thing, but neither can we relax and let the text/music affect us.

Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • I wonder, too, to what extent it is more profitable to view the RP as an innovation of the 1960s rather than something that merits reconciliation with a historical praxis. The fact is that, for over a millennium, we did not sing a psalm between the lessons this way: neither one that “responds” to the first lesson nor is itself “responsorial”.

Do we really know enough about what Augustine et al. described to say that the Consilium successfully “resurrected” same with much historical accuracy?

It doesn’t necessarily mean that the RP is bad if we decide that it’s an innovation, but it does recast the discussion somewhat, IMO.
  • The imprudence of this was a fairly recent realization for me at the time, but in the years since that experience it has seemed to me that a ritual moment that requires a trained, prepared solo singer (not necessarily paid, but certainly above-average!) is an awkward, even impractical “requirement” for the post-V2 Mass.

As opposed to what, singing the Gradual from the GR? Yeah, any volunteer singer could get up there and do that a lot easier than an Alstott Psalm from the R&A.
  • ^^ As opposed to a form that does not require a solo singer.

Alstott can be sight-read, which is its great advantage, but to sound good even that requires a singer with good vocal quality and intonation.
  • Are you thinking Metrical hymnody?
  • PGA: That’s one way of doing it, sure, rubrical bans notwithstanding. In my own parish, we do the psalm in directum.
  • Interesting.

I will say though - I have a couple amateur cantors, and they can handle Guimont and Gelineau Psalmody reasonably well; they aren't more likely to have trouble with the Psalm than any other thing (Psalms at Communion, etc.)

I guess I feel that in general, with some exceptions, amateur cantors are not preferable.
  • For an informative discussion of the history of psalmody in the LIturgy of the Word, see James McKinnon, The Advent Project.

Reviewing Martimort's study of fourth-century lectionaries, McKinnon observed that regardless of the number of lessons they assigned to a particular day, they never included more than one psalm. He deduced that the psalm, was not introduced as a response to a lesson but as a lesson in its own right. Initially the psalm appears to have been sung by a cantor alone in directum. (Cf. the Tracts.) Congregational responses were added initially as a festal adornment.

Graduals are responsorial psalmody. The response was intially (and still may be) repeated after the verse. While it cannot be proved that any particular gradual is a vestige of any particular more primitive responsorial psalm, the form</> of the gradual is certainly derivative from primitive responsorial psalmody. (The tracts are the only vestiges of primitive direct psalmody in the Roman Mass. Their assignment to penitential days is not coincidental.

It find it hard to understand the pervasive distaste for reponsorial psalmody among "conservatives."

The Gregorian graduals, beautiful as many of them are, consist only of snippets of psalms. They hardly qualify as lessons, and except in rare cases, they bear no relation to the lessons that precede them (in the old Roman lectionary as well as the new). So they do not qualify as responses the lessons, either. While I would not say that they should never be sung, I think that in most situations the responsorial psalms prescribed in the lectionary are more satisfactory.

Mahrt's analysis of "The Gregorian Mass" is highly subjective, and in a few point more than a little bit puzzling. It depends, for example, on the presupposition that the Gospel will be sung to a 16th-century tone that disregards verbal accents (Tone A) rather than to one of the more authentic Gospel tones.
  • francis
    Felipe:

Yes... very aware of who Bugnini is. The innovator of the new rite.
  • Thanks, Bruce!

That graduals are independent of the first reading is, I think, commonly accepted. That ancient responsorial psalmody was also independent of the first reading also seems a reasonable conclusion given the many assertions of same by erudite colleagues on this forum.

The modern RP, however, was the brainchild of a committee headed by one who intended for this psalm to be itself a “response” to the foregoing reading. The appointment of texts reflects this. And so we go back to the question of how “accountable” the modern RP is to ancient responsorial psalmody.

I have no problem with responsorial psalms per se except for the logistical problems I have perceived arising from the practice.
  • Is there a difference between the way that antiphonal Propers are structured and Responsorial psalmody?

Also, how does one add psalm verses to the Graduale? Does one need the Liber Usualis and a psalter/Bible?
  • Maybe we've started at the wrong point of the question.

A sung psalm, together with a sung epistle and Gospel, makes a coherent whole.

A sung psalm with a spoken epistle and Gospel makes no sense. I didn't realize this until recently despite the fact that it now strikes me as self-evidently true, so anyone who disagrees with me will be treated gently.

A Responsorial psalm represents the entry into the Mass of a liturgical form which properly belongs elsewhere.

• chonakchonak
    Speaking of form, we now have four litanies in the Mass: the Kyrie, the RP, the Prayer of the Faithful, and the Agnus Dei. The RP is the one that stands out because its response and any musical setting of it change not just from season to season, but from day to day.
  • chonak: Except it *can* be done such that it changes only from season to season. Or you can do it with the same response week to week while the actual psalm verses change.

It can be done responsorially or in directum. For some the refrain can be a simple “Alleluia”; others lack this option. Or it can not be done at all and replaced with the gradual.

It’s like a liturgical chamelion.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It’s like a liturgical karma chamelion.

Fixed. Improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A sung psalm, together with a sung epistle and Gospel, makes a coherent whole.
    I've never actually heard of this, though it does fit with the rule that the alleluia must be omitted if it is not sung ;-)
  • CGM
    From a logistical standpoint:

If you have a choir, then the Responsorial Psalm doesn't require a cantor. The choir can intone the antiphon (women or men alone, or altogether), repeat it (tutti) with congregation, and then sing the verses and antiphons which follow. At my parish, we use the Parish Book of Psalms (accompanied, sung in unison) with the volunteer choir and somewhat more challenging SATB choral settings with the professional choir (verses a cappella, antiphons accompanied).
  • Some evidence of the "respond" form of the psalm:

The Introit, Offertory and Communion all have associated psalm verses. The Offertoriale 1935 shows the Offertory being sung as a responsory. In fact, in the introit, the psalm verse and the gloria patri MUST be sung. It has been customary in many places to sing additional psalm verses after the Communion antiphon.

There are a number of psalms which have a repeating refrain throughout them.

Within the liturgy of the hours, it remains optional to sing the antiphon at intervals throughout the singing of the psalm, although it seems that the practice died out. In fact, in some religious orders, the custom is to have a cantor sing the antiphon and then everyone else sings the psalm verses.

The Graduals themselves are marked "R. and V."

In the ancient church, it seems to have been the custom to sing a psalm in it's entirety and not just a single verse. It seems to be a later custom where only one psalm verse is sung to satisfy some liturgical law.

You will find that the antiphons for most responsorial psalms are in fact the text of the prescribed gradual. The main difference being that you sing more of the psalm and not just a single psalm verse.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • johnmann
    You will find that the antiphons for most responsorial psalms are in fact the text of the prescribed gradual.

I would love for that to be true.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A sung psalm with a spoken epistle and Gospel makes no sense.

Hi Chris, Merry Christmastide, hope all went well across the Pacific range.
    I get your contention, and concur. I believe (wish) that every Mass was sung thoroughly, period. I don't have a big dog in this Clintonian fox chase hunting the semantical/theological/liturgical definition of "response." However, as regards your quote, without qualifications, "A sung psalm makes sense." Always.
  • Re: Difference between antiphonal and responsorial psalmody. See (besides McKinnon) Beyond East and West: Essays in Liturgical Understanding, by Robert Taft, S.J.

In antiphonal psalmody, as originally conceived, the ANTIPHON is what was sung antiphonally. The verses were sung by a soloist: Verse (cantor), Antiphon (first choir or other group), Verse (cantor), Antiphon (second choir), etc. What is commonly called antiphonal psalmody, in which the verses are sung alternatim by two choirs and the antiphon sung by all at the end (and sometimes at the beginning) was a later development that some have chosen to call "alternate psalmody" to distinguish it from true antiphonal psalmody.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Felipe Gasper wrote: "The modern RP, however, was the brainchild of a committee headed by one who intended for this psalm to be itself a “response” to the foregoing reading. The appointment of texts reflects this. And so we go back to the question of how “accountable” the modern RP is to ancient responsorial psalmody."

Martimort and McKinnon did their research decades after the revision of the Roman Missal. The notion that the psalmody in the Liturgy of the Word constituted responses to lessons, advanced by such scholars as Josef Jungmann and Gregory Dix, was generally accepted at the time (as was the discredited belief that the Roman rite had once normally included three lessons--which seemed logical because two "responses" followed the Epistle).

Even though the compilers of the new lectionary may have tried to select psalms that were suitable responses to the lessons that preceded them, they did not succeed, and I doubt that anyone could have. So the responsorial psalm in the new rite effectively constitutes a lesson, as it did in ancient rites. McKinnon opined that the psalms were anciently sung to more elaborate melodies than the other lessons because of their lyrical quality. Singing the psalm when the other lessons are recited without note, therefore, seems consonant with tradition.

Lessons are normally rendered by a soloist. Gradual verses were anciently rendered by soloists. Ordo Romanus Primus prescribes that the cantor go to the ambo to sing the gradual verse. In medieval uses such as that of Sarum the soloist who sang the gradual verse stood at a lectern. Why do so many prefer that the verses of the psalm in the Liturgy of the Word be sung by the choir?

On pastoral grounds the inclusion of a full psalm (or a substantial part of one) is justifiable, since it exposes the faithful to a significant amount of scripture. (Where did the people ever attend Matins except during Holy Week?)
  • Christ Garton Zavesky wrote: "A Responsorial psalm represents the entry into the Mass of a liturgical form which properly belongs elsewhere."

The Roman Mass has always included both antiphonal and responsorial psalmody, even if at some periods it took an attenuated form.

If you look in your Graduale, you will see that in the Responsorial and Direct forms the psalm verses are marked "V." whereas in the antiphonal forms (chiefly the introits), they are marked "Ps."
  • Even though the compilers of the new lectionary may have tried to select psalms that were suitable responses to the lessons that preceded them, they did not succeed, and I doubt that anyone could have.

Bruce, if you examine many of the prominent RPs of Sundays, I think you’ll conclude differently.

For example:

- this coming Sunday’s Prophecy talks of Sarah conceiving even in old age, after which follows the “wife as the fruitful vine” psalm.

- January 1st’s Nehemiah excerpt includes the “face shine upon you”, after which follows the “Deus misereatur” (which prominently includes the same phrase).

- The Prophecy on Epiphany and the succeeding psalm are both “geography lessons” :); i.e., they both imply the revelation to the Gentiles.

- 2nd Sunday of OT this year, the psalm refrain repeats the “Here am I, Lord” from the Prophecy.

Or are we interpreting the idea of “response to the first reading” differently?
  • Bruce,

Please: I don't deserve the promotion!

As to the substance of your comment, essential to the modern RP is a back-and-forth, "call and response" (as one organ technician called it recently), which is, in its nature different from the Gradual or Tract. Precentors intone, and the choir joins. The "this is what it sounds like, so sing it back to me; my turn; sing it back to me everyone" approach which seems necessarily part of the modern RP is not the same.

• ghmus7
    This whole idea about "returning the liturgy it what is was orgininally" falls apart when you look it it. The psalm thing is a case in point. What do we know about how the gradual was sung? Surely the praxis varies from country to country and the records are very sketchy.
    it is high time we admit that the OF is by an large an innovation.
    I wd like to see more development in the composition of the "verse" part of the psalm. Why cant we have some of our fine composers write polyphonic verses for the choir, and keeping the simple response for the people? The idea if always using a psalm tone is dull indeed.(though they are practical I will admit).
  • Apostolic Constitution "Graduale Romanum": Even though the text of the Roman Gradual, at least that which concerns the singing, has not been changed, still, for a better understanding, the responsorial psalm, which St. Augustine and St. Leo the Great often mention, has been restored, and the Introit and Communion antiphons have been adapted for read Masses.

James McKinnon "The Fourth-Century Origin of the Gradual" (Early Music History, Vol. 7 (1987), pp. 91-106): Thus what is implied in the existence of liturgical homilies based upon psalm texts is made explicit in these passages. At the very moment in history when we finally have undeniable references to the gradual psalm - the later fourth century - contemporaries speak of it not as something subordinate to the readings but as a reading itself. p. 102

The second point is a more subtle one: it involves a certain ambiguity of language in these early references to the gradual psalm. Many passages speak of the gradual psalm's being read while others say that it was sung. There are passages that assign its performance to a lector and others to a singer. It was emphasised above that the psalm was generally referred to as a reading, but there are a few passages from the period that clearly distinguish between psalmody and mere scriptural reading. Perhaps this ambiguity can best be attributed to a time of transition, when the obsolete conception of psalm as reading was giving way to the new reality of psalm as musical event. p. 104

I would also be interested in hearing what anyone knowledgeable has to say about why the format of the responsorial psalm in the lectionary differs from that in the Graduale Simplex. This bears on Felipe's question in his third comment about the historical accuracy of "resurrecting" the old psalm.

I personally don't have a beef with the insertion of a responsorial psalm. It achieved two directives of Sac. Conc., one being that the treasures of scriptures be opened up more lavishly, the second being that participation should be encouraged through the congregation's taking part in antiphons, responses, etc. Restoring the congregation's role in what originally was a responsorial psalm still seems like a good call to me.

The question about choosing a psalm the corresponds to the first reading is more problematic, not only because it leads one away from viewing the text of the psalm as a reading of its own and precludes the historical choice of responsorial psalm from reflecting graduals securely assigned to certain Sundays and feasts in the earliest Roman-rite graduals, but because the selection of the first reading was sought to correspond to the Gospel readings according to nearly unfettered rationalism. Thus, while there is a first reading-responsorial psalm-Gospel nexus, the poor second reading is orphaned. I don't really see a fix for the responsorial psalm unless the first reading is jettisoned (how many in the congregation really know the immediate context of Hebrew Bible readings anyway?) and the responsorial psalm has a more consistent relationship to the historical graduals. At least, why can't the historical gradual selections always be sources for the seasonal/common responsorial psalm choices?
  • 3) How have you “solved” the logistical problems of the RP? e.g.: selection/training of a suitable cantor, “why don’t *I* get to do a psalm”, the apparent contradiction between the simplicity of almost all RP settings versus the need for a well-trained singer for good tone and intonation, etc.

4) Were we to alter the modern RP, what changes would be most gainful?

One would think, at first glance, that a psalm singer should do "more"; that a psalm setting should be more like an art song. I did some experiments along this line, and decided it wasn't the way to go, for the following reasons:

1. Cantors are lazy and don't learn the notes. And there's never enough rehearsal time.
    2. The organ is generally at the opposite end of the church, and coordination is difficult.
    3. To the extent that the Psalm is "performed", it focuses attention on the cantress, rather than the Word. This also applies to some degree to the response and its performers.
    4. The style of the response drives the style of the psalm, because the response must be simple, and the style of the response can't depart too radically from the response, for aesthetic reasons.

The RP is the cornerstone of V2s unfunded mandate for a missa cantata. In my local parish, they preserved the Low Mass culture by speaking the RP, and pretty much anything else they can get away with. I'm not sure that's wrong. It solves the musical and practical problems of the RP.

What would be gainful? My solution would be to sing the Gradual, along with the rest of the 1962 Missal. Given that that won't happen, I'd focus on the response. Why can't the response be sung at the beginning and end, and not between every verse?
  • About the psalm verses having a more elaborate melos: for this recently past Solemnity of Christ the King I asked Fr Columba to write propers for us and specified that the cantor's verses of the responsorial psalm and the alleluya be in a somewhat developed and more elaborate melos; and no two verses being the same - each verse having its own melos. He gave us beautiful melodies for these, not as elaborate as in the old gradual responsories, but certainly more than a mere psalm tone. My purpose in requesting this was precisely to recapture the substance and spirit of the historic gradual responsory and the alleluya verses. The result was very pleasing. I commend this to others. It is high time that we begin to cultivate and train real cantors, masters of the art of chanting holy scripture, rather than amateur singers who can do well to get through the sort of drivel that is sung in most of our churches.

• melofluentmelofluent
    It is high time that we begin to cultivate and train real cantors, masters of the art of chanting holy scripture, rather than amateur singers who can do well to get through the sort of drivel that is sung in most of our churches.

Esteemed Jackson, though I'm very aware I am not a cogniscenti of all of the factors at play in this discussion, I really bristle at the cavalier and throw-away condemnation implied in your statement above. You doth presume too much, sirrah. I cannot be the sole director who does actually train the few, the prepared, the marines who lead and cant the verses of the RP among the tens of thousands of American parishes. The time you speak of has always been nigh and high. My wife, my daughter, and others in my program have oft and well sung many arias and art song with noted symphonies, and can render "drivel" into shinola by the beneficence of their personal artistry. This is the factor that is always ignored in such discussions. This is not to deny your mission to train another "office level" of professional, "true" cantors. However, I believe you ought to temper your remarks that presume that "amateurs" are always ill-prepared, ill-equipt, lazy or otherwise incapable of rendering God's Word in the format of the OF RP. I happily concede this is not a universal circumstance in our churches presently, but your cultural imperative as stated is not a linchpin priority for most music ministry programs in St. Average's Parish. With your resume, you have the right to wish it so publicly. But with my considerable experience, I know that there are Psalmists out there who are neither ill-equipt nor Mr./Ms. Caruso divas who serve the intended purpose of the current form(s) of the OF psalm responsorial very beautifully and honestly well. As per usual, YMMV.
  • Felipe,

The examples you cite successfully discredit my sweeping statement: "Even though the compilers of the new lectionary may have tried to select psalms that were suitable responses to the lessons that preceded them, they did not succeed, and I doubt that anyone could have."

I believe, however, that if I were to look through the lectionary, I could find many examples in which the relationship between the psalm and the preceding lesson is hard to discern.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    In response to Melo's comment: I'd think Jackson deserves kudos, not carping, for seeing a problem, attempting a solution, and reporting the unsuccessful result for others to carry forward. Although I must say "cantors are lazy" is pretty harsh, unless it means "we are all lazy, worms that we are".
  • Charles -
    You need to do a little preening and get your feathers back in order.
    It is obvious that I couldn't possibly have had your cantors nor their ilk in mind.
    Nor was my language half so severe as your caricature of it.
    I'll stand by the tenor of my words, however.
    Most cantors do very well to sing half decently the insultingly simple things they are given to sing from missalettes, Respond and Acclaim and their ilk. A cantor of historic times would have been incredulous that these people are called cantors.
    We need to have cantorial training in our schools, universities, and sacred music departments that teaches the real art of chanting holy scripture as their long-gone predecessors did.

To my mind, the intended restoration of the ancient gradual responsory was one of the glories of Vatican II liturgical reform. As with many other aspects of the same, the putting of it into practice has left much, very much, to be desired. Those who, often with good reason, don't like the responsorial psalm should look to a more apt rendering of it, rather than injudiciously casting the fault upon the form itself.

I'm going to try to scan the propers that Fr Columba wrote for us and put them up here. They represent what the responsorial psalm should be like, as well as representing a complete set of propers, i.e., Intr, RespPs, Alleluya, Offert, Comm, should look like for English liturgy every Sunday and solemnity.Too, I specified to Fr that the texts should be English versions of those of the GR, excepting the RespPs. One will notice that each v. of the RespPs has its own distinctive melos. In this way the form and spirit of the historic gradual responsory is preserved. Also, note the relatively elaborate Alleluya verse and the use of one of the simpler Gregorian Alleluyas.
    2111 x 3114 - 704K
    2177 x 2862 - 541K
    2106 x 2850 - 594K
    2070 x 2808 - 501K
    2112 x 2819 - 721K
    2069 x 2838 - 792K
    2136 x 2652 - 646K
    2088 x 2880 - 667K
  • Bruce: I think I recall seeing somewhere that occasionally the psalm flows more out of the Gospel or even the Epistle. But I do believe that e general pattern is that the psalm text connects, in general, most overtly with that of the first lesson.

Even when I disagree with Jackson, I always find his opinion very much worth considering--which is more than I would say for many others! I definitely agree that, compositionally, we have not explored the RP extensively; that said, the concept of the psalm as a reading, whose first virtue is aural comprehension, seems to me inimical to much good effort at composition in in the genre. And, a host of logistical problems plagues it in most parishes besides.

It's worth bearing in mind that the RP falls into MS's third degree of singing. Maybe part of the problem is that places sing it rather than the Creed or dialogues.
  • "cantors are lazy" is pretty harsh, unless it means "we are all lazy, worms that we are".

Well, one in particular was. But I wrote that, went off to work, and discovered that the cantor (uh, that would be me) was lazier than he should have been. Pride goeth before a fall, and all that.

Are cantors in general lazy? Well, if they were allowed to select their own psalm settings, to what extent would ease-of-use weigh into the decision?
  • We would do well to listen to Prof. Mahrt's thoughts on the Gradual, namely the contemplative benefits of the meditation chants between lessons. When it was described as a higher form, I admit I bristled, since I sang the resp. psalm so often as cantor, and I knew that some were decent, even lovely in a simple way. But then I started praying with and singing the Graduals... and there's really no comparison.

The Gradual is a fine rose window- why throw away that level of beauty?
  • MACW -
    A just comparison and a just conclusion when comparing the historic graduals with the typical renderings of the RespPs that hold sway in most of our churches. However, this is really unfair. Unfair because you are comparing highly inspired and crafted liturgical musical poetry with drivel. Singing the responsorial psalm in English to modern chant does not have to be the drivel that we hear. No one has yet given us truly poetic musical settings of the psalm. A good effort in that direction is Fr Columba's example, which I have attached above. This is a start towards what should raise the responsorial psalm to the inspired level of the historic gradual responsory, of which it is the direct heir as concerns the NO, particularly in English.

Also, it is fortuitous that you mention the contemplative element. A characteristic of responsorial psalmody, as contrasted with antiphonal and in directum psalmody is precisely in that it is a vehicle for and fosters contemplation. It is this aspect that sets 'the psalm' and the Alleluya verse apart from the other, antiphonal psalmody (Intr., Offert., & Comm.) of the mass propers.

The RespPs, like the NO itself, has gotten far more bad press than it deserves because, not of its inherent nature, but of the manner in which it has been degraded by common, liturgically illiterate usage.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Certainly the sacred liturgy has been degraded, and in both forms.
    Setting aside the banality of the day, and taking a fresh look at the loveliest of Responsorial psalms, they still don't hold a candle to the ornate beauty of the Graduals. They can't. There is no fair comparison because the musical forms are so very different.

I'm curious- do you actually sing and/or pray with the Gregorian Graduals on a regular basis?
  • MaryAnn: RPs and graduals are apple/orange comparison. Graduals are meditations on a short snippet of text, whereas RPs are longer texts that communicate more “direct” thoughts. The latter is usually intended to be understood easily, whereas there is less need/intent of “direct” cognition for graduals. And, as mentioned earlier, graduals are (more or less) thematically “free-standing”, whereas the RPs, in their modern form anyhow, usually “answer” another reading, by design.

College buildings I have seen that were built around the time that the OF was being put together show a callous disregard for beauty. Beige walls, “functionalism”, etc. I wonder how much of that mindset informed what we now have as the preference for RPs over graduals and the OF in general.
  • I really hate to be repetitive, but, yet again, there is no difference in form between the graduals and the responsorial psalm, the latter being the precise heir of the former. Both are responsorial-meditative forms. The difference between them is that the historic gradual responsory as we have inherited it is but a truncation of what was originally a complete responsorial psalm. All that's left is the responsory and one verse.

Now, while I don't think that the verses of our modern RespPs need be as musically prolix as the old gradual responsories, there is not an intelligent reason why they should not be musically inspired new chant by Fr Columba and others who are quite gifted at prayerful chant composition. I suggest, respectfully, that you are among many who can't seem to accept the reality that English chant can be as spiritually gorgeous as is Latin chant. This is a notion that results from thinking that the drivel we hear every Sunday represents the pinnacle of what is possible in English. It doesn't. It represents the abysmal worst, and we have poorly trained cantors, musically impoverished clergy, and unprincipled publishers to thank for it.

One of the greatest stumbling blocks to progress in English and the NO is the irrational, illogical, conviction among many of my friends who love Latin and the EF that only Latin and old chant are capable of spiritual beauty and liturgical perfection. This simply is not true. It is false, a falsehood.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • MJO, The musical forms are very different, of course. Consider the question from a score analysis point of view. The Graduals are more through composed, or ABA if you like, and Responsorial psalms are more strophic, often relying on utilitarian psalm tones or approximations of them. The Graduals are able to contain far more melodic interest and decoration. The smaller, "snippet" of text is gloriously set free, and the listener has time to absorb the prayer.

I'm not sure where you are going with the English vs Latin ideas. I'm only referring to musical form and its limits.

You didn't answer my question, and I'm still wondering if you are able to sing and pray the Gregorian Graduals on a regular basis. My guess is no.
  • I'll say it one more time - the musical interest and spiritual depth of the Latin gradual can be matched in newly composed chant in English if we can get our chant scholars such as Fr Columba, Fr Weber, and others to compose them. What you are referring to as strophic is an inaccurate assessment of verses that lack the musical prolixity of the Gregorian. This does not mean that it cannot be there. It just means that, for reasons I shant rehearse yet again, it has yet to be done... but, it must be done.

To answer the question you want answered: yes, I am very and thankfully acquainted with the prayerful singing of the graduals. I am not against them, but I am equally for English chant of like worth.

And no, the musical forms, as forms, are not different. The one is the complete form which has yet to be done musical justice to; the other is a truncated version of the same form, to which musical justice has been done. If one were to sing the Gregorian gradual to a psalm tone (as was too often the case before the council), it, too, would be rather sparse of musical spirituality. It, too, would be as lack-luster as the ill-treated RespPs. Let us do musical justice to the verses of the RespPs and then we may make fair comparisons.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • Basically, it sounds like we ought to compose graduals to the English text. Of course, doing so without taking quite as much time to unfold the whole text.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    I think we need to stop worrying about graduals. They were chopped up scriptures that glorified the divine warblers and the most holy and exalted melismas. They were and are poor excuses for proclaiming scripture. That is the whole point. Psalms are scripture and should be proclaimed or sung with accurate texts. They are not necessarily exercises in beauty, although good compositions by composers of the quality Jackson mentioned, are much needed. Psalms are about scripture, not singers.

I know, we are all acquainted with St. Overhyped by the Brook where the diva cantor is wearing more makeup than the corpse at the local mortuary and sings dramatically the latest Haugen-Haas jingle as an excuse for a psalm. That is not the way it is supposed to be.
  • tomjaw
    We can't stop worrying about the Gradual / Tract / Alleluia... They are still with us, both in the EF and NO. They are also Universal, I can hear the music from the Graduale Romanum 1962 sung across the globe! We also have polyphonic settings of these texts still being sung.

I only have the misfortune of hearing the R.P. when collecting music from the gallery, and well it is awful...
    This idea of a Reform of the Reform, has quite a few problems.
    1. Has the R.P. been a success? in the average parish? what is the view of the average pew sitter? or even Bishop?
    2. The AVERAGE N.O. parish has no idea of the Solemn Sung Mass.
    3. A vocal minority in many parishes does not want a Solemn Sung Mass
    4. Many of the people involved in the choir of the average parish lack the skills in singing better quality music.
    5. The R.P. are not universal, there are multiple translations, and multiple settings.
    6. Every parish seems to have it's own way of doing things.

So we ignore the problems and go away and write better settings, but who will use them?
    Will each parish in search of better music choose a different setting?
    What happens when the campaign for new translations gets its new translation?
    So we focus on settings in English, can we sing them in all English speaking countries?
    If we are honest how many parishes will use them in the short / medium / long term.

Now we have the supportive Parish Priest, we have a willing and able director of music, we start with using a better setting, but then we keep upgrading... we swap from English to Latin... until we reach the GR / polyphonic settings! I have seen this happen twice now in England, and I see signs of another 3 parishes well on the same way.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • All Catholic liturgies, whether Roman, Byzantine, Chaldean, etc. have "chopped up Scripture" within them at some point. If it's so offensive, then they should all be removed: no Introits, Graduals (which are still in the Church's official songbook), Alleluias, Offertories, and Communions.

As a lesson, the Gradual has much merit. Let's be honest. The average pew sitter probably pays as much attention to the truncated Gradual in Latin as he/she does to the more complete Responsorial Psalm in English. Purely anecdotal is my own experience: For 20-something years I sang a response half-heartedly, not paying any attention to verses nor to what I was singing. The Gradual was the first thing I heard that made me pay attention more closely, and it's textual brevity actually was easier to digest, comprehend, and remember.

By the way, I have nothing against the Responsorial Psalm, and still use it quite often, always setting it to one of the formulas in the Graduale Simplex. I prefer the Gradual, but I'll use the Responsorial Psalm without hesitation if necessary.
    Thanked by 2gregp jchthys