A question for mothers who direct choirs regarding stress...
  • canadashcanadash
    I was wondering how mothers who work at their parishes handle the stress of this season. I have a number of children and then I host Christmas day dinner. My choir sings at midnight Mass and I have a drive home and I end up going to bed late as do my three eldest children. Our littlest children wake the family up early because of their excitement and I hate to crush their enthusiasm. I'm not a morning person at the best of times and well, Christmas morning is one day I have to work hard to be cheerful.

I won't go into more detail about my particular circumstances, I think you get the idea. So, how do you handle it? Lots of wine? :)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Wine is your friend. But first comes a long nap, then coffee, and playing bartender while someone else cooks. Then more wine. Then more coffee.

I have a similar situation. At the parish from 10-2 on Christmas eve, then up by 6:30 to be back again about 8, sing and/or direct for 3 masses, one of which involves 40 children, then leaving the parish by 2pm. We have planned a two hour nap while my great looking and cooking husband cooks his favorites and my brother plays basketball with the boys in the front yard. Ah, but this year we add a new dog into the mix! Good times!

One fun thing I do is that I'm in charge of everyone's stockings but my own. I shop for them, hide everything, then put it all together from 2:30-3am, tea in hand, unwinding from the excitement of midnight mass.

I just can't cook anymore for Christmas and Easter day. Maybe some year soon I'll find the energy, but I usually end up fighting lung infections anyway. So I'm thankful we celebrate for the whole season, and I make sure to host something about a week into Christmas and Easter.

It does take a toll on the family, but I remind myself and the boys that someone has to help the choirs, and all the graces more than sustain us.

I do cook on thanksgiving. That is a huge job in itself!
  • I am only an accompanist but I do have three children and a musician husband to choreograph schedules with. The children are coming with me to the 4:00 service, and since my husband decided to take a midnight gig at the last minute (nevermind all the years I spent staying home while he played Xmas Eve and Xmas morning) I left him in charge of finding a sitter for tonight. Thankfully one of our close friends offered to come over.
    My parents are long divorced and all holidays are divided into two celebrations, and this year it was decided by both sides that I would host. So, I will be cooking and entertaining tomorrow and then again for 15 people on Sunday. Mind you all of this comes after a solid month of performing, Messiah and Nutcracker thrown in with those performances, and zero time to see my chiropractor and get much needed therapy on a bad shoulder. I'm trying very hard to keep the spirit of the holiday and remember that my family needs me this year, my mom lost her mother and my dad and stepmom are going through very rough financial times. It's a sacrifice for sure, I wish I could just sit back in the pew and enjoy the sights and sounds, but that's not the role God has given me.
    Oh yeah and this year it's that "time of the month". Keep smiling, keep smiling...and drink more wine...
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you for your response MaryAnn. Sounds like you have lots of understanding and help in your home. Fidem... funny, I never knew you were a woman! Thanks for your response too. Seems that you have WAY more on your plate than I do. This too shall pass. Perhaps it is important to say no sometimes... My husband keeps me from committing to too much.

So wine it is... I'm driving tonight, but not tomorrow!

Merry Christmas and blessings to you.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Oh my LOL!!! That's a good Christmas chuckle lol yes unfortunately I am a woman, was reminded of this at exactly 12:30am lolol! I had a beautiful Christmas Day and all is well after half a bottle of Zinfandel and brisket with horseradish...
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Kathy
    Brisket restores all things.