SNL Goes To Church
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiuYmM0lG6o

This is pretty silly, but a fairly accurate representation nonetheless.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It was a goofy hoot, but some of it did ring true.
  • chonakchonak
    This is a riot.
  • That was funny.
  • ryandryand
    some of it did ring true
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • cmb
    Our lectors didn't tell me they were going to New York this weekend to be on SNL!

Also, can someone point me to a source for the 44-verse version of "O Come All Ye Faithful"? My copy only has seven.
  • Kathy
    I believe Matthew J Meloche uses 44 verses at the Phoenix Cathedral. Am I right?
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Ben cmb
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Fo'sho.
  • Right down to the stupid jokes at the homily.
  • Yup. Some peoples' idea of active/actual participation starts to look more like a variety show than mass.
    I've know several casts including all those characters!

That SNL figured it out makes it both cathartic and deeply embarrassing.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's ironic that it takes SNL to reveal--- in a surprisingly sympathetic way---the absurdity of the standard form of the Catholic liturgy.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That was an Episcopal parish, BTW. You could see in one shot the front cover of the Lift Every Voice and Sing hymnal.
  • Yeah, it looks like they used an Episcopal church for filming maybe?
    The funnies are unmistakably Catholic.

Or.... are they????
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The funnies are unmistakably Catholic.

Or.... are they????

I've seen all the same spectacular moments at Episcopal, Methodist, and unspecified churches, including a hilariously adorable Christmas Eve service I once attended with the Protestant family I was Christmasing with, where every single person in my row could have played the organ better than the little old lady who was doing it, including me (I don't play the organ).

That was the year I attended a non-denom Prot service and then a Catholic Midnight Mass and got to sing "Happy Birthday to Jesus" at BOTH OF THEM.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    . . . which begs the question as to why it is possible that one is not able to distinguish one from the other.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Kathy
  • Y
    U
    P
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • FWIW, one of the SNL writers (and a co-host of "Weekend Update") is an alumnus of a high school run by the Jesuits, an "educated order. I believe they mean well, too".
  • JahazaJahaza
    When the choir busted out that song, I said to my wife (from my Russian Byzantine Rite/EF bubble), "Well that's an exaggeration." And my wife replied, "No, we sing that at X," where she cantors.
  • Okay, there are only eight verses. The English Hymnal had 7, and the Hymnal 1940 & 1982 have six verses. At the hand of an inept organist, six verses could SEEM like 44 verses. A very complete itemization of translations is here:
    http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/o_come_all_ye_faithful.htm
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Okay, there are only eight verses

In any single language.
  • I'm shocked at how... accurate this is. Like, it is bizarrely spot-on. When I used to go to the Novus Ordo, I experienced all these things.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Necro'ed for truth. :)