Need Help With Advent Invitatory Antiphon "Regem ventúrum Dóminum"
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Hail,

Does anyone know of a Chant for the Advent antiphon in the LotH: Regem ventúrum Dóminum, veníte, adorémus?
    I tried searching through my PDF Liber Usualis, but couldn't find anything. And since we're nearing the 17th, is there also a setting for the antiphon: Prope est iam Dóminus: veníte, adorémus? I usually just chant the Invitatory with a Psalm tone (Almost always VIII g), but I've heard something about different settings of the Invitatory Psalms in the Liber Hymnarius that are more strophic perhaps? I don't know anything about it, but I'm interested in finding out about it.

Many thanks, and a Luminous Advent!
  • You can find them in the Sarum Antiphonale: http://www.sarum-chant.ca/ Look in the "Latin Breviary" section. The Temporale contains among others the invitatory chants, the Toni communes contain among others the Venitare with the elaborate tones for the invitatory psalm.

Regem venturum is the invitatory for ferial days of Advent in the Sarum rite, Prope est jam Dominus is the invitatory for Ember Days of Advent. Both reference to the corresponding page in the Venitare file.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Vilyanor
  • Both antiphons may be found in the Liber Hymnarius, p. 4 and p.10:

Thanked by 2CHGiffen Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Bless you both and thank you! This makes me as happy as seeing St. Nicholas punching Arius.