O Gracious Dwelling
  • francis
    Adam Wood wrote this beautiful hymn, and I was inspired to write a tune for it. It was posted a long time ago and the link on that thread is no longer working, so I am taking this opportunity to revitalize the link. I also created a sib simulation so you can hear the tune on the organ.

Thank you Adam for a beautiful text.

download score
    hear a simulation

I vote that the name of the tune is WOOD
  • SalieriSalieri
    This is quite lovely. Is it free to use? - I have been looking for a new Epiphany piece, and would like to try it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I vote that the name of the tune is WOOD

oi vey.

How about MADERA?

or, better yet: GRACIOUS DWELLING ?

• I vote for ANADAMWROTETHISTUNE.
  • francis
    Noel... it's ANADAMWROTETHISHYMN... jees after our big discussion on what makes a hymn yet!
  • SalieriSalieri
    How about MADERA MADEIRA?

Fixed.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    Salieri:

Adam and I bequeathed this to the world for all time years ago when we put it together. I put my copyright on it for the musical portion, but you are free to use it. Please send us a recording so we can hear it for real.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Adam, you certainly have a gift for writing poetry, and hymn texts in particular. I have used your Ascension text many times, and it remains fresh each year.

I had never seen this text before, and I think it's the first Epiphany hymn that I have seen which addresses the Blessed Virgin directly in all Her Splendor at the Theotokos - most Christmas/Epiphany hymns (which generally come from protestant sources) tend to mention Our Lady in passing, lumping her in with the oxen, hay, and hoover.

And, of course, Francis, your tune/chorale is perfect: majestic and yet tender at the same time.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood francis
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Very lovely, both words and music. Francis, please forgive me, I immediately came up with an alternative melody to these good words. edit .. which is now in a different post.
  • chonakchonak
    I enjoyed Mr. Copper's version too; thanks for thinking of it. My old choir director described some hymns as "cathedral anthems" well suited for an entrance procession, and this one has that quality too. The range is a bit high, IMHO, but there is room to transpose the melody down, since the ambit is only a seventh.
  • francis
    mrcopper:

Are you going to put an SATB accomp to that melody? Would like to see that too!
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I woodn't name it wood ... what if he wood write some more, which he shood. Working on a harmonization ...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Salieri
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    If a Wood and a Chuck could chuck wood, how much wood would Wood and Chuck chuck?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I heard it differently: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

But ... hey ... leave me (Chuck) out of this. :-)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Francis, I'm pulling my contribution out of your thread, with apologies for hijacking and appreciation for your original music ... Jackson makes a good distinction about hymn types below, so I will proceed as for a processional, while yours seems more devotional. I'll make a different thread with Adam's text.
  • francis
    ok we have an SB... not to be confused with a Son of a.. Howabout an AT?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Chonak is quite right about the processional register of this tune, whatever it's called. The placement of hymn-tune within the liturgy has almost as much weight as text. An entrance hymn should always have a certain processional gait and aura, while its text introduces the day's theme. An offertory hymn (or anthem) should, likewise, have definite theological depth related to the day's theme, and should have a certain musical sobriety. For either of the above, one would countenance, say, Lauda anima or Abbot's Leigh, but definitely not Moscow or some such. Any hymns sung at commuions should be prayerful and foster devotion, while dismissal hymns should have a similar ecclesiastical aura to that of processionals, with perhaps a little less gravitas. (It is clear that our hymnal publishers do not have these matters in mind when providing hymns for most Sundays and solemnities.)
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • francis
    mrcopper:

I was egging you on to give us your completed rendition... not to pull it from the thread! Please come back! There is never enough good creativity in the world, and there is always room for more wherever it may be.

So sorry you left. Please post here when finished!
  • JonLaird
    I am loving both text and tune as well! The first three notes called to mind "Wie schön leuchtet" -- was this intentional, Francis? Whether it was or not, I think it's brilliant.

"Wie schön leuchtet"....Epiphany...now I am calling to mind the Peter Cornelius "Three Kings."
  • chonakchonak
    mrcopper's created a new thread for his setting:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/11742/o-gracious-dwelling-two
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Thanks, I called my new thread "O Gracious Subdivision" (two dwellings built, expecting more) which I thought was very funny but then perhaps it might be taken as disrespectful so I changed the title.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Francis, if you cared to revisit your version, imho the verses are too short (sorry Adam) so combining two into one, with the second somewhat different music, might be effective. Of course that leaves a slight problem of what to do with the fifth verse, unless Adam renews his pen and writes one more.
  • francis
    mrcopper:

I kept the tempo at a stately rate so that it is more like St. Anne's. Short, yes, but still works.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Some ideas: End of bar 3, tenor: try adding an eighth, mi-fa-sol-la, then bar 4, tenor la, la. Bar 4, bass, avoid the ii-V comma problem by using ii in first inversion, do, re. Bar 6 the 6-4 on the downbeat tends to shift the sound, as if a syncopation, maybe root position IV (requires adjusting the other voices and changing beat two).
  • francis
    mrcopper

please feel free to post your version of the harmonies. in my mind, this one is exactly how i like it.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    It's fine, Francis ... pushing notes around here and there may be an infection I got somewhere. Please improve my version, since it's not yet fixed by time!
  • francis
    mrcopper:

lol... no, it's a sign of perfectionism, and i have the same infection. it's a good one to have as long as it doesn't stop you from getting your stuff out in the public. that happened to me for many years when i was young. could never finish anything cause i was too particular. i am still particular now, but old age and a bit of wisdom and reality helps me push the babies out of the nest before they get too attached to the nest.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Please post here when finished!

Ok. I found it satisfactory to rearrange the verses slightly, and had to come up with one more of my own (which anyone, please, may improve). This version has a kind of rhetorical three-fold heightening, with "they", then "the wise", then "we" offering.

Hymn version attached; still working on the anthem with organ.

William
  • William -
    I like your tune. It does have a certain gravitas. However, I think it would be improved with a few rhythmic alterations and shortening of some of the long and tied notes. I'm comparing it mentally with a superb tune with tremendous gravitas which appears at no. 544 in The English Hymnal and is one of the grandest tunes ever. It is called Psalm 68, and is ultimately of German origin (compare to O Mensch bewein dein Sunde gross). You might find it exemplary in your own tune writing.

I think your tune has great potential and will try to put up some of my suggestions tomorrow.
    Thanked by 2mrcopper Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm flattered at all the attention my text is getting.
    And my Laissez-faire philosophy of copyright licensing permits the adaptation.

But I must state:

I really do not approve of the additional text.

I am somewhat ambivalent about the pronoun switching and re-ordering my my verses. It makes sense on a certain level, but then it requires a new ending - and I really dislike what you have come up with here.

I welcome discussion on the rearrangement, and other suggestions for improvement. And replacements for the mrcopper's additions.

Two other notes:

1. I think 5 stanzas of Long Meter is about the perfect length for a hymn. So instead of adding verses, two other musical options are:
    - let one stanza be half the the tune
    - compose a bridge for stanza 3, making the form ABCAB

2. The fact that the text has been changed should be noted on any scores. Something like-- Original Text by Adam Wood; alt. and additional text by William Copper (or whoever else comes up with a better four lines).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Absolutely, Adam, anything to do with the text will be subject to your approval.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If anyone else has ideas or suggestions regarding the text, please bring them. I view hymn text writing as a collaborative, iterative process.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    A 5 stanza Long Meter hymn text might, with the addition of a Doxolgy, make an excellent 3 stanza Long Meter Double hymn. Something like the following might work with Adam's Epiphany hymn text:

Come, one and all, with humble heart,
    On this our Lord's Epiphany,
    To join the Sages' tuneful art
    And hymn the glorious Trinity.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Come, one and all,

Yech! How 'bout this:

Come, all you men of humble heart,
    On the our Lord's Epiphany,
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to. ;)

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    all you men

No.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    'folk' ?

It's just that "Come, one and all" makes me immediately think of a side-show barker: "Come one, come all...". Probably just my personal mental baggage, I think it's a great verse otherwise.

"Come, Christians all, with humble heart..." might be better?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I thought about "all and one" in place of "one and all" ... but mayhaps the following is more acceptable:

Then let all come, with humble heart,
    On this our Lord's Epiphany,
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I need other opinions on this.
    What does Kathy Pluth think?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Chuck, I'm not fond of the possessives ... too many ssess esspecially on the final verse. But "Then let all come" is good!
  • chonakchonak
    Something generic-ish:

To God the Father and the Son,
    revealed that we may now adore,
    and to the Spirit, three-in-one,
    be praise and glory evermore.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm not sure a doxology works as a second half of a musical iteration.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Word writing may well be more difficult than note writing, though perhaps less time consuming. Just personal opinion: no to the doxology, no to the Wise Men suddenly bursting out in song. Back to Mary, somehow ...
  • chonakchonak
    A proposed first-half of v3, to add to Adam's four lines:

You hold this myst'ry in your heart,
    a revelation long foretold;
    so hold us there, to never part
    from Him whose Word is more than gold.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Miss Tree, huh? Maybe, maybe
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe the best "fix" for the problem is to subtract four lines from Adam's text (at random! :-) ), and be happy with a two-verse anthem.

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Still fiddling with the text; these comments apply to Francis' version, too.

1) "Your offspring" doesn't resonate well, perhaps.
    2) I love "the wise will ride" but is it possible to change "to gift"
    3) is the capitalization correct; 'Holy birth'?

Some lines from the Peter Cornelius hymn mentioned by JonLaird:

How brightly shines the morning star!

Thou child of man,...

Gold, incense, myrrh thou canst not bring;
    Offer thy heart to the infant King.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Another version with the second half of the third verse blank, and taking into account Jackson's comment about the rhythm. A three-repeat organ mp3.

O gracious dwelling of our King, rise up, and let the Magi in,
    Who come to honor, laud, and sing the Child who saves us from our sin.
    They offer gold and rich perfume, and all the gifts they have to bring,
    To praise the One who from your womb came forth to be our Lord and King.

You are the temple, you the star, the tabernacle full of grace,
    A host for pilgrims near and far, on earth the purest Holy place.
    From you, O Queen, O seat, O bride, the greatest King is born to earth.
    To Him and you the wise shall ride to gift and praise the Holy birth.

Then let all come with (somethin rhymable ideally with an OR sound)
    to (bring to mind the meaning of Epiphany and the sound of O)
    And like the sage of old (rhyme more) and (wrap it up with another O)
    Your offspring shall our Shepherd be, and our salvation, source and store;
    You are our grace, our [hymnody,] our life, our hope for ever more.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    It would be nice to get the meaning of Epiphany into this hymn, too: "manifested" is a nice pair of iambs trochees. or a trio of 'em, "showed himself as God to them"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Your offspring shall our Shepherd be, and our salvation, source and store;
    You are our grace, our [hymnody,] our life, our hope for ever more.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the original version of these line.

Your offspring shall our shepherd be, and you our Mother, evermore.
    You are our grace, our life, and He— our sure salvation, source and store.

As to the rest of the Mad Lib. This is sort of how I work anyway, but the devil is in finding those damn words. (It seems your proposed rhyme scheme is off, though hard to tell.)

"They offer" instead of "We offer" is starting to grow on me. Does anyone else have an opinion on this change?

And I hate "sage of old." It's almost as bad as "Mary mild."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen