funeral psalm
  • Hi Everyone,

I, like many of you are normally asked to suffer though " On Eagle's Wings" as the go-to song for the psalm at funerals. At my own parish where I music direct, I have removed the psalm option from the funeral liturgy sheet that is given to family. This way I am able to do other psalm options (Gelineau, Wilcock settings etc, no contemporary or OCP style settings) that are not "paraphrased". I have a issue with the family getting to be "music director" for funerals but I don't see that option changing anytime soon and have accepted it. Do you think family members should be allowed to pick out funeral hymns?? I believe that should be the music directors job.

When I do play funerals at other churches then my own and Eagle's Wings is the choice for the psalm portion, should all verses be sung? Most of the time when the "song" (it's not a hymn or "psalm") is used, most cantors will be like "let's do verse 1 and 2, or verse 1 and 4". I always felt that it should be heard in full length even though Eagle's Wings is a very long "song paraphrased psalm setting."

I look forward to hearing comments and feedback on this topic. Enjoy your day!

• matthewjmatthewj
    We have a sheet that families may (but do not have to) fill out. It allows them the options -

Entrance Chant
    Sung in Latin
    Sung in English
    or substitute hymn _______________

Psalm
    then lists 3 possible antiphons, no composers listed - always Bartlett or Fr. Kelly settings

Offertory
    Sung in Latin
    Sung in English
    or substitute hymn ______________

Communion Chant
    Sung in Latin
    Sung in English
    or substitute hymn _______________

Recessional Chant
    Sung in Latin
    Sung in English

Then at the bottom I do list about 15 hymn suggestions. All decent things like Lord of All Hopefulness and I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say.

Since implementing the above sheet over 50% of Funerals have had only chant. OEG and BNA have been requested about twice a year. Amazing Grace shows up with far greater frequency.
  • What are the Bartlett and Fr. Kelly settings of psalms? Are they chant or metric?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Chant.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Not worried about taking ack-ack flack about saying this, but Respond and Acclaim (Alstott, OCP) settings can be quite effective in that, with sufficient parishioners present, they WILL enjoin the singing of the response. That, in turn, will make non-Catholics or others more inclined to join in as well. YMMV. I don't see a need to hash up old arguments pro or con about this, we've been there, done that.
  • Do I think family members should be allowed to pick out funeral hymns? Yes, per the Order of Christian Funerals (USA 1989): the family should be involved in planning the funeral, including the music (## 17 & 152).

But . . . the usual restrictions apply. "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" was not approved recently.

I also have removed the psalm options from the funeral liturgy sheet. Our pew missal/hymnal is OCP. It has a section titled "Order of Christian Funerals," including Alstott's Psalm 23, which I usually program, using all the verses.

"On Eagle's Wings" is, of course, in the hymnal too, and so meets that minimum requirement as "cantus alius aptus" for the entrance, offertory, and communion. I'm unaware that it has ever been published with an ordinary's approval as part of a collection of psalms and antiphons, and so I don't think it meets the stricter requirement in RM3 # 61, for use as the psalm after the first reading. In my opinion, since it's out of place there anyway, all the verses are not required.

In practice, it was programmed as the psalm for the funeral of retired Boston Mayor Thomas Menino. Cardinal Sean presided, and so may be presumed to have acquiesced.
  • GavinGavin
    "Do you think family members should be allowed to pick out funeral hymns?"

No, but their legitimate requests should be honored.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "On Eagle's Wings" is, of course, in the hymnal too, and so meets that minimum requirement as "cantus alius aptus" for the entrance, offertory, and communion.

And I thought singing it once was bad enough...
  • I've never heard of this practice in my diocese. I honestly don't think that it is allowed for the Psalm to be replaced with another song. It is either sung or it is read around here. There are no other options.