Caution....possible Gregorian Chant manuscript scam.
  • Got emails last night that may indicate some of us being targeted...just a heads up.

(no, I'm not kidding!)
  • I'll tell you what's a scam: I can't find a pdf version of Jesu Dulcis Memoria online anywhere.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Kathy
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's in any of several hymnals available online.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Hey kid! ... Over here.

*opens trenchcoat*

I've got some fancy new neumes at half price...
    Thanked by 3francis Kathy Ben
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here it is, odd verses, interspersed with a Palestrina setting.
  • chonakchonak
    Or you can find the chant melody in "Chants of the Church", a free download on the CMAA site.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    what scam Noel?

Shameless plug for Jesu Dulcis Memoria (polyphonic treatment)

http://www.myopus.com/jesuDulcisMemoria.html
  • TCJ
    A version of Jesu Dulcis Memoria that I came across awhile ago. I don't have the people to sing it, but I like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUFAJ1cSvo
  • Anyone interested in either a 3-voice or 4-voice setting of Jesu Dulcis Memoria? Have both.

PM or stisidore@prolifeamerica.com
  • I'll tell you what's a scam: I can't find a pdf version of Jesu Dulcis Memoria online anywhere.

It's not in the PBC?
  • Aha! It is, Noel, thank you!
  • I'm sick of everyone labeling everything a scam. Just this morning, responding to a random e-mail, I made one of the wisest business decisions I've made in years: I've went in on a deal with a Nigerian Prince whom I probably shouldn't name to hold his money in my bank account due to political unrest in his country. My payoff in the end? 25% of his savings! You do the math on that one, but I'm betting that I'll be retiring long before any of you.

You just have to seize a good deal when you see it!
  • francis
    paix

i think you've been scammed.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis,
    PGA prolly just punked you.
  • You're just mad he chose me and not you.
    241 x 209 - 7K
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    We use this version of Jesu Dulcis in our choir, all are welcome to use it.

R
  • The actual spam/scam:

I believe I hold the first chant put to paper - lamb hide.
    Please reply so we can chat.

My stepfather came across a bombed monestary during WW2. He took a lamb hide & a parchment. Being the only musician in the family, I received the pieces for birthdays.
    The lamb hide is not titled. The parchment shows "In fancti" - "antonij de padua"
    Thank you for your time.

• Kathy
    I think spammers usually cast wider nets than that. Not sure though.
  • chonakchonak
    It sounds harmless, Noel. The guy, if he's on the level, has some manuscript fragments and is perhaps engaged in some wishful thinking that they might be rare and especially old. Since St. Anthony was canonized in 1232, the fragment can't be any older than that.

A recent news report tells about the discovery of a manuscript written by Ademar de Chabannes (989-1034),
    http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2014/10/22/canadian-musicologist-make-900-year-old-discovery/
    so the manuscript held by Noel's correspondent is less ancient, by 200 years or more.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PGA-
    That's the Kenyan, not the Nigerian.
  • Wow, just WOWWWWW.
  • eft94530eft94530
    PGA, What is the timeline for the transaction?
    Due to our own political unrest, and the FDIC limits,
    may I assist you by holding a portion in my account?
    I will be satisfied with keeping the interest (i.e., no 25% thing).
  • eft94530eft94530
    Oh, rats, I thought I was PMing.
    I think my face is purple bold.
    Never mind.
  • I had thought the most targeted scam I had ever seen was an email I got from a distant friend, an ex-Catholic who had become a minister in a very small, fundamentalist Presbyterian Church. It said he had gone to a theological conference in Wales. How specific is that? What tipped me off was the general tone and the fact that he referred to "the wife," an off-hand way of talking that no Presbyterian minister would ever allow himself to use.

AND I got one from one of the most prominent Catholic writers of the late 20th Century who has written many bestsellers. It claimed he was on vacation with his wife in Spain...etc, etc, etc...and "he" was asking me for money when he was quite well-known enough that he could walk into any diocesan Chancery and place a call to Rome, if it were that serious.

I'm with Noel--it's a scam. I had a Mexican student whose grandfather lost hundreds of dollars because the scammer new the name of one of his grandsons and said he had been in an accident.

Kenneth
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    My life is so boring. Why won't anyone send a scam to me?
  • chonakchonak
    Well, Kenneth, that's a particular type of scam targeting naive elderly. Surely Noel doesn't qualify!

Anyway, there is a market for antique manuscript pages:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381079033117?lpid=82
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/211137235/vintage-antique-french-17th-century

• melofluentmelofluent
    My life is so boring. Why won't anyone send a scam to me?

William, if this is the case as you describe, get down on yer knees post haste and offer up as much "Deo gratias" as an individual can manage.
    Scams as antidotes to boredom often lead to suicide, or worse, purgatory on earth, then suicide. Don't even think about boredom in that light.
    Thanked by 2Gavin R J Stove
  • chonakchonak
    This moment of melodrama (oops: no pun intended) was brought to you by ... Melo!
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Just the last one, Chonak. The other two were tailored to individuals, both religious, presumably because religious people are willing to help. Now, Chonak, you could settle this by fronting Noel the money. ....

Just a thought.
    Kenenth
  • chonakchonak
    What money? Did I miss something? I thought the guy hasn't asked Noel for money yet.

I get it - that there are several possibilities, and some of them are scammy.

(a) Perhaps the correspondent is on the level: he actually has something, and naively thinks that it's very special, and he wants to keep it or sell it legitimately.

(b) Perhaps the correspondent is not on the level: he has something and knows it's not really worth much, but wants to fool people and sell it for as much as possible.

(c) Perhaps the correspondent has nothing, and wants to con people into sending money on the mere promise of getting something valuable.

Noel can't find out which one is the case unless he responds.
  • Great deduction, Chonak!

It's A, a pleasant surprise. Just enough misspellings and drama to raise suspicion.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • That's so refreshing. Kenneth
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    It must be legitimate, especially if it's from a Nigerian prince.

• I think of the story behind this, which now apparently we can think is true, and find how heavily it weighs, and at the same time how tantalizing. Was he at Monte Cassino? Or some tiny place lost to history now? What other MS lay out in the rain there? What became of the brothers?