Colloquium XXV
  • Just wanted to let you know that the pages for next summer's Colloquium are up on the site... accepting registrations. Would love to hear your feedback on the organization of the materials and ease (or difficulty) of registration... Hope to see you all in Pittsburgh!

http://musicasacra.com/colloquium
  • PS: If you are a CMAA member, be sure to check your email and/or the Winter SM issue (coming out soon) for the discount code. If you want to register before then, contact me at programs@musicasacra.com for the code...
  • BenBen
    When I looked at the dorm room prices, am I seeing something wrong? It appeared that a single room is $250/person, and a split room is $200/person, which comes to $400 for the room. It seems odd.... I would have expected it to be more like $250. Is this a typo?
  • That is correct... it has to do with the room rates charged to us by the university.
  • BenBen
    I see.. Makes sense.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A slight typo in Charles Coles bio:
    Charles Cole will direct the Men’s Schola chant course this summer at the XXV Colloquium in Indianapolis.

Unless, of course, he doing something in Indy while we're all at Dooqueznee.
  • Thank you!
  • I've had a few questions about the member emails... I did send emails to our CMAA member list that should have arrived in your inbox this morning (12/8). If you didn't get the email, it could be because:

1) We don't have a good email address for you on file
    2) Your email program throws our emails into spam or promotions and you don't see it
    3) Your membership has lapsed
    or
    4) We have an error and for some crazy reason don't have you on the current member roster.

In all cases, please contact me as soon as possible so that I can help resolve it very soon... Thanks very much to all our loyal CMAA members... you make it possible for us to do all sorts of wonderful things.

Janet
    gm at musicasacra dot com.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    How can I find out when my membership expires?
  • This is one thing I don't understand - it's so easy to fall off the Musica Sacra membership list because there doesn't seem to be a way of notifying people when their memberships need to be renewed. I was a member for years and then fell away without noticing it a few years ago. Nobody ever contacted me to renew, or to get back in once I had failed to renew. Of course it is the person's own duty to pay attention and do these things, but in the real world there is way too much going on for a person to easily remember all of their membership renewals, especially if one belongs to a number of organizations. Maybe things have changed since then, I don't know.
  • chonakchonak
    The process of checking your membership is probably going to change, since CMAA is changing its system of membership.

It used to be that membership consisted of a subscription to Sacred Music. The journal was the main means of collaboration among members. If you paid a subscription for one year, then you would get four issues, and if they ran late, then your membership lasted a little longer than a year. The number of your last paid issue would always appear above your address on the journal mailing envelope. (It still does.)

HOWEVER, CMAA is changing to a system of annual membership -- based on years instead of journal issues -- and that should make it easier to keep track of renewals.

Bill Mahrt sent a letter with the journal last summer to say that members who were paid up well into 2013 would be considered as paid for 2014.

And then it becomes easy to renew your membership in January 2015, and annually thereafter. (I think I'll put a note on my calendar now to do that!)
  • The winter issue of Sacred Music is just being printed and mailed, and those who haven't renewed contain renewal envelopes. Since we're on a year-to-year basis now, and since we've caught up with publications of the journal, things should be running more regularly. You'll see renewal envelopes in the Winter issue every year if you haven't already renewed.
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this but anyway... I have just been listening over the last few days to the recordings of talks and workshops given at previous colloquia - and it is so helpful, absolutely marvellous. There is no prospect of ever getting to one (I'm in Ireland) but the recordings are great. However a number of the recorded workshops start by making great sense, and then, because they are audio only, lose their usefulness, as without visuals it is not possible to get a sense of what is going on.

Please please please, could you video the workshops this year and post them online?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    It's not that easy.

The recording project every year is a volunteer effort. It depends on attendees who bring their own portable recorders to the events they attend. Those are very common devices, about the size of a phone, and easy to carry and use. They don't require you to carry around a tripod, and they don't have to be adjusted when the lecturer moves around. You can just turn the device on, leave it sitting there for an hour, and ignore it. Audio recorders don't have to deal with issues about lighting or about the legibility of projector displays. So audio recording is a rather simpler task than video recording.

Incidentally, I don't know if it's any help, but if there's not a suitable event in Eire, you might find it affordable to attend the annual conference put on by Musica Sacra Scotland.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Carl DCarl D
    Chonak's right. The whole endeavour takes the help of a lot of people, but is possible because both recording and editing are reasonable effort. Video increases both by about an order of magnitude. So if someone's inspired to bring their GoPro and give it a shot, great, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Thanks, Richard, for answering the questions regarding membership...

We are trying to make our communications more clear and do a better job of being in touch with the membership. If you have questions or suggestions, please email me (email address below).

Also, in case you are wondering about the status of your membership:

1) As Jenny mentioned, you should be receiving the Winter edition of Sacred Music this week. If you don't receive one, your membership is expired (or we have an incorrect address...contact me in any case).

2) There will be listed the last issue of SM you'll be receiving by volume near your name on the address label. For example, if your membership expires with the current (winter) issue, that number will read 141.4, or 241.4.

141.4 denotes a member who pays year to year; 241.4 indicates an automatic renewal. Next year's issues will be x42.1 (spring 2015), x42.2 (summer 2015), x42.3 (fall 2015) and x42.4 (winter 2015).

3) you can always contact me directly, particularly if you think something is awry with your membership expiry. Just email me at gm at musicsacra dot com.

4) The majority of our memberships will be expiring with the end of the year. Please look for the renewal envelope sent along with your Sacred Music.

Thank you all for your patience and suggestions...
  • Mark K
    Hi there - has anyone stayed in the dorms before? would you stay again? I read that they supply linens, does that include a pillow? were they comfortable and quiet? is there wifi? thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    The dorms were quiet, but spare. I don't recall about pillows. There was no wifi in the dorms. The student union building had wifi but closed about 9 pm. Of course, it's possible that some of these details may have changed in the four years since we were last there.
  • Kathy
    The oddest thing about the dorms, which I thought were otherwise fine, was the shared bathroom. I about jumped through the ceiling when in the middle of the night I heard someone running water in my bathroom. I found that they were shared after the fact. It wasn't a problem but it was a surprise.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sleep is gravely important to me.
    I will be in the hotel.
    Also, if one has a vehicle and doesn't mind staying in an "unofficial" hotel, one could get a fine hotel room in Pittsburgh via Priceline for ~$50 a night. Or at least you could 4 years ago.
  • canadashcanadash
    About being quiet, the bathrooms were loud. Every time my bathroom mate had a shower or used the watering any way the pipes made a horrible squeeking sound, in my opinion. I suppose this would not have been an issue if I was an early riser. But otherwise they were fine for the week and close to events.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sleep is gravely important to me.

I knew it! I knew you are Nosferatu, Matieux!
    First year in Pitt, W and I did dorms, was okay, didn't have a neighbor so the bathroom thing worked out too. But Kathy was right about the lack of WiFi being a bother. Second year, hotel!
  • Mark K
    Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. It will help me in my decision of dorm vs hotel. pax :)
  • Just an FYI... there is to be a national barbershop (singers -- not haircutters) convention in Pittsburgh during the week of the Colloquium. It may be more difficult than usual to find alternate hotel accommodations. The Hilton Garden (which has a block of rooms for us) is not within walking distance, but is an easy ride on the bus system and also has some free shuttle service available. The Hilton does have a few advantages over the Marriott in that there are many more dining options nearby...

Thanked by 1chonak
  • TCJ
    Are there any bridges to sleep under? I'm looking to save some money this year.
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • Just got definite word that there will be wifi in the dorms this time around. You'll be sent the information about password and login prior to arriving at the Colloquium. I am sure that will be good news for many...

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE:

And, by the way, because of the problem we experienced with the company who ships our Sacred Music journals, I have gone through the entire list of members and sent emails or letters to any whose memberships have just lapsed...

There may be others have been lapsed for awhile that will not have heard from me, however.

Bottom line: if you didn't receive the Winter 2014 edition of Sacred Music, we don't have you listed as a member... so please join up again! http://musicasacra.com
    Thanked by 2chonak Ben
  • BenBen
    Just got definite word that there will be wifi in the dorms this time around. You'll be sent the information about password and login prior to arriving at the Colloquium. I am sure that will be good news for many...

VERY GOOD.

-posted from my wifi
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Duquesne has been the home of the Summer Chant Intensive for a while. I went to the last two of these and stayed in the dorms. They provided a pillow, a pair of sheets, a blanket, two towels and two washcloths. Wi-Fi was also provided. The rooms were what you would expect from a dorm room - two beds (appeared to be bunk beds that had been separtated), two desks, and two chest of drawers. No trash cans! Also, no vending machines in the dorms (or anywhere else I went on campus.) Be prepared to walk up and down hill a lot, as the dorms are at one end of campus, the music building in the middle of the campus, and the chapel on the other end of campus.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Melo, can we go halves on the scooter?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I've gone to the last two Summer Chant Intensives and have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, my Director of Music and Liturgy would like me to start either a Schola or Chant classes. I was wondering if the Colloquium would be better for me this year.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Uh, I pretty much take up both halves of a scooter. Yabba dabba doo
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • @bhcordova: You may find that you get a broader range of information at the Colloquium... more breakout sessions covering various topics, as well as the chant training. Although, with each different instructor for chant intensive, you learn something different. Just go to both!
  • CharlesW
    Uh, I pretty much take up both halves of a scooter. Yabba dabba doo

Didn't you do weight watchers a while back? Seems like I remember posts from you on that topic. LOL
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh, you and your bedeviled memory, CDub! Yeah, two winters took care of that lost 50lb.