Help needed! Music for deaf Mass...wait, what??
  • As much of a paradox as that seems, I was asked to develop the music ministry for the deaf Mass, because although it is a Mass for the deaf many of their hearing family members attend.

As I am currently at a loss for where exactly to start, what would be some things that I could implement without losing the integrity of the music? I'm definitely thinking of putting together a choir, but I'm thinking of what things I need to do to tailor the music for them. In the past, what has helped them is beating some sort of low bass drum since they can feel vibrations...

Help...??
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sing the propers, chant the Ordinary, have organ music, provide a worship aid with the text and/or a sign language person.
  • JonLaird
    I don't get the bass drum thing. Would a Mass for the blind include bright flashing lights in their eyes?

We have a few deaf families at our parish, and they are perfectly capable of participating with the aid of a competent sign language interpreter who works for the Diocese. I work closely with the interpreter around major holidays so that they have in advance the texts/translations of choral music and if necessary a script of particular rites that are out of the ordinary.

In order to know which propers or hymns would be appropriate, you need to find out if they are doing the Mass of the day or a votive Mass or who knows what (in my diocese I would contact either the director of the Liturgy Office or the Bishop's assistant to find this out). Then you will know what the proper texts are. This should guide your choices more than the "theme." Even if, in your situation, you are not able to sing the propers, in my opinion they are a better guide to choosing hymns than the readings.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Yes, that's something I point out from time to time: the propers are definitely a better guide to choosing hymns than the readings, which is contrary to popular PIP belief.
  • canadashcanadash
    Have someone sign the propers. Then they would "hear" them. We, occasionally attend a Mass where there is someone signing. It's strange for me, but the deaf person is a friend and she feels much more included. I would not have a bass drum.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    That's some clickbait you've got going! Questions to ask are who the choir will be, and whether the hearing congregants will be singled out for their own full active and conscious role.

One of my deaf friends used to be a regular at concerts, taking great pleasure in watching singers in much the same way that he points out movements of trees in the wind. I imagine he might enjoy Jubilate Deo even more with a solo cantor than a schola.

propers are definitely a better guide to choosing hymns than the readings
    This is a queer notion in light of how little clearcut guidance the OF Requiem propers offer; to my mind the Propers are worthy on their musical merits and their EF assignments are exemplars of aptness (and their 3-year assignments sometimes a bit improvised), but I have no compunction about choosing an alius aptus funeral Communion according to the readings.
  • Many deaf people sense low frequency vibrations and enjoy them. Which would explain the bass drum. An organist can artfully select pedal stops that would give them the sense of the movement of the singing. Of course this means [horrors upon horrors!] accompanying chant (and hymns).

Feeling the vibrations, seeing others singing and reading the words = participation.