Sarum Rite Chant Ordinary
  • I've been asked to provide music for a mass with the Ordinary of the Anglican Ordinariate presiding. I would like to obtain the Sarum Use chants or something similar for this mass. I would like to obtain a Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei according to Sarum use, or even better, if they are set according the BCP/BDW texts.

I was hoping to obtain the Anglican versions of Sanctus and Agnus Dei from Mass XVIII, as I am aware that the Anglican practice was generally to retain the Greek Kyrie text.

All and any help will be much appreciated!
  • You are in Australia, is that right? So your ordinary is not Msgr Steenson. He is____?
    When is the mass? I will see if I can put a setting of the ordinary here set to one of the adaptations by Canon Winfred Douglas of the Gregorian that is familiar to very many Anglicans... at least to Episcopalians in the USA. I don't know what the customs are or have been in your land. Also, what is the feast you will be celebrating? You may want to use the Anglican English propers from The Plainchant Gradual by Palmer and Burgess, available from the CMAA.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Anglican English propers from The Plainchant Gradual by Palmer and Burgess

I used these recently for a Sarum (ish) Mass (under Episcopalian auspices at CDSP).
    They are wonderful.

Most of the Mass was in English. The Ordinary was congregational, in Latin. We didn't specifically seek out settings that would have been in use in Medieval Salisbury, but rather selected each part of the Ordinary based on the one we thought the most number of people might know: Kyrie Orbis Factor, de Angelis Gloria, Credo I (in English), Sanctus and Agnus Dei from the Missa pro Defunctis, etc...

Are you trying to do SARUM as a thing (a historic re-enactment, for example), or are you just using that word to mean "classy high-church Anglo-Catholic"?
  • If you're doing an actual historical re-enactment, I highly suggest Percy Dearmer's the Parson's Handbook for ceremonial guide, as well as the Notes on Ceremonial by Pickering. If you're looking for musical sources for Latin propers of the Sarum Mass, here's a link to a pdf of the Graduale Sarisburiense: https://ia801006.us.archive.org/6/items/ldpd_10276822_000/ldpd_10276822_000.pdf
    Sorry if I sound a little too enthusiastic, but Sarum Use, to an English Liturgy Nerd, is nothing short of exciting.
  • As for the original request, all I could find was this Latin setting of Mass XVIII, Deus Genitor alme
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • If you ever plan to get a hard copy, I recommend St. Dunstan's Kyriale, as can be bought here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Kyrial-St-Dunstan-Edition/dp/B001GPKMDI
  • Nevermind, I found a PDF of St. Dunstan's Kyriale.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Perhaps I should just use the mass in the back of the New English Missal.
  • The St Dunstan's Kyriale was the source I was going to post copies from. The PDF above should be very useful. Perhaps the CMAA would be interested in providing a reprint of this valuable resource?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen brndurham
  • The use of Salisbury, edited by Nick Sandon
    Newton Abbot, Devon : Antico Edition, c1984-

Not sure if volumes subsequent to the first (the Ordinary) were ever published; this is what we have here.

Sarum only had Credo I. It's different in a few small details, but not ones I'd worry about for liturgical use.