Dies Irae in NO Breviary
  • I was going to use the Dies Irae from the current Breviary (Appendix V) during a NO liturgy of the hours. Does anyone know what to do with the "extra" verse at the end of each segment? What's this history of this added verse? I'm thinking of just repeating the melody of the opening verse even though this final verse stands alone and is not paired. Any other ideas?
  • Kathy
    Paging Dr Whitworth...
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Hanc str., praebitam in quibusdam chartis saec. XV (cf. AH, p. 273), add. ad modum doxologiae.

Anselmo Lentini, Hymni instaurandi breviarii Romani (Vatican, 1968), p. 292.

I.e. "This verse, furnished from certain manuscripts of the 15th century, is added as a kind of doxology." AH stands for the Analecta Hymnica, and a previous note tells us to look at volume 54 of that monumental work. Short of tracking down one of those C15 mss. - assuming they are notated - I am not sure what melody one would use for these three lines. I think the Earl's suggestion would work well.
    Thanked by 3Kathy Earl_Grey ghmus7
  • The Liber Hymnarius does just what Earl is planning to do. The melody from the first verse is used for the concluding one, along with the Amen melody from the Gregorian melody for the Dies Irae.
  • Given that the Liber Hymnarius is next to Hymni instaurandi on the shelf behind me, I feel particularly stupid for missing that. Thank you!
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Ditto. I didn't think to look there either.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Where might one find a copy of the Hymni instaurandi. If out-of-print, might it be possible to get permission to digitize this?
  • If someone does get permission to digitise Dom Lentini's Hymni instaurandi, it would be very helpful to get permission to digitise his Te decet hymnus as well.