Has this Mass Setting been revised?
  • I was wondering if William Mathias's Mass setting was ever revised for the new translation? I really loved hearing that setting when I was younger; it's so festive and joyful.

Here's a few examples:
    Gloria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_lhkD2yg8

Sanctus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Ojze-Gl2k (Much better with an organ and full choir, but this is all I found.)
  • Dave
    Not that I'm aware of. I believe it appears primarily in Anglican or Episcopal books of service music (namely the Hymnal 1982), which still use the older ICEL texts, and which are unlikely to move to the revised text anytime soon, if ever.
    Thanked by 1brndurham
  • That makes sense: Mathias was a Welsh Anglican composer, after all.
  • The BCP texts are permissible, though not encouraged, as they are Rite B for Anglican-Use parishes and the standard text for Anglican Ordinariate Parishes. You may get lucky and find it possible to change the text underlay slightly to suit the modern text though.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The BCP texts are permissible

For whom? Not "normal" Roman Rite parishes.

they are Rite B for Anglican-Use parishes and the standard text for Anglican Ordinariate Parishes

Rite II, I think - not Rite B.
    But more importantly: Isn't the Anglican Ordinariate is limited to Rite I?
  • Dave
    There is no "A" or "B," but only I or II. The Ordinariate uses Rite I language with adaptations, including the Mystery of Faith, approved by the Holy See. BCP texts are not themselves permissible for Mass in the Roman Rite. (As a side note, the BCP denotes its Rite II Eucharistic prayers alphabetically, A through D.)

The Episcopal Church USA and the Anglican Communion adopted ICEL translations (which had also been used in the Roman Rite since 1970/1973) for Rite II when it was promulgated in the revised BCP of 1979, along with many of their own unique prayers.