Effective Handbell Music
  • I am trying to get the handbell choir at my church up and going again, beginning with a few pieces during advent and christmas. I have a few things pulled but am looking for something unique. Does anyone know of a piece that is modern and new age but also sounds like something by Eric Whitacre or Morton Lauridsen? Something stunningly beautiful that will want to make other musicians in the church join.

If you know of any pieces like this, the information is greatly appreciated. Or if you know of any just stunningly beautiful pieces for Advent or Christmas, I'd appreciate it. Just remember that this is a group of a few ringers and several beginners.

Thank you!

Wesley King
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would suggest only having them ring on the 3rd Sunday of Advent (see MS 66) and during Christmas.

You might want to check with your local office of the AGEHR. They would probably be better at recommending pieces.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'd google "Jeffrey Honore" as I personally don't know of another Catholic composer/arranger with as extensive experience.
    As someone with a successful 8th grade bell choir program for which I arrange their entire repertoire, I think the cluster sonorities of Eric and Skippy might be difficult to bring off.
    Bell choir beauty is akin to chant, it can be extremely beautiful even when simple.
  • eft94530eft94530
    a piece that is modern and new age

Would something like that be appropriate for Mass?
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • '...appropriate for Mass?'

Modern, truly modern, yes.
    New Age, whatever that is, no.

Restricting the bells to Advent III and to joyous seasons is excellent advice.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Uh, guys, the OP wants tangible help.
  • New Age style usually does not conform to common chord progressions and has free melodies, which makes it like....chant....and does make it acceptable.

Missa Gaia
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Missa Gaia

Is that a real composition, or something like Missa Heebie Jeebie? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I assure you, of Missa Luba, Missa Criolla and Missa Gaia and others of that era all of which are performance Masses in reality (Luba works in Africa only for liturgy), Gaia is the only art piece among them that has staying power.
    It's a performance piece!
    It also benefits by the performing talents of Paul Halley, Eugene Friesen and a host of world class players, and the choirs of St. John Divine (tho' I took it in at Grace SF and Memorial (Stanford) back in the day. One of the best settings of the Beatitudes, ever.... a great melding of Adoro te Devote into a hymn of thanksgiving, etc., a Kyrie based upon a wolf howl of a TRI-TONE. Yeah baby! You got my inner hippy workin', CDub. There were some really great moments in the 70's. Did I also mention the incredible SF band, the Tubes?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Spriggo
    Kevin McChesney writes beautifully for handbells, including two collections of carols that I use every year.
  • May I suggest 'Savior of the Nations, Come', arranged by Cathy Moklebust -- my ringers love it, and it would seem to fit your criteria. I second Kevin McChesney as an arranger whose work is worth exploring, and ditto for anything by Cynthia Dobrinski, although these two often write music that's challenging for an amateur group to put together.