Suggestions on recruiting members for a brand-new Schola
  • Hello all,

My pastor is head of two parishes, and at one of them, he will be adding an Extraordinary Form Mass for every Sunday beginning sometime early next year. The goal is to do a High Mass as often as possible, but of course that won't happen without a Schola, and Father has asked me to start one. I am not involved at all in the music at that parish - I am employed as the organist/sacred music assistant at his other parish - so I am thinking this Schola will have to be started pretty much from scratch.

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to find interested people. I tried searching this topic on here, and I did see a couple suggestions, such as holding some kind of "chant workshop" and perhaps finding interested people through that. Also, my first source will be the current choir members, although I am not expecting any of them to be interested. Does anyone have any good suggestions, aside from these and from putting an ad in the diocesan newspaper and/or church bulletin (which I will probably end up doing anyway)?

Thank you,

Charles
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hello Charles from one of the other, very elderly Charles' of which we number three here at MSF.
    Your pastor's sights are set high, very good. And you do mention that a weekly Solemn High EF Mass (that was redundant, wasn't it?) is the eventual hope and goal.
    If I may, avoid setting time lines or must-do-by dates.
    There is so much more involved than assembling and training a competent schola. I won't enumerate those concerns here.
    For you, I'd ask your pastor permission to solo "cantor" at selective Masses using a narrow variety of chant sources besides the GR/GS, and in English (perhaps also Spanish?) You can find all the sources you need on this forum and at musicasacra.com.
    Engage the PIPs in chanting with you with the metered chants common to most hymnals and missals. Add Proper chants, replace metered responsorials with free chant versions such as found in the Parish Book of Psalms, do all this without totally replang any core repertoire of hymns and songs, but adding to the mix.
    See and recruit from parishioners who come up to to you with compliments. Be very kind to those who complain, don't ry to school them on the spot.
    Have fun. You can do it.
  • canadashcanadash
    Find the local homeschool community. Recruit there. Make sure they know it is an "adult program." I would also invite the children in grade 6 and higher. Homeschool families are larger than most and parents are keen to have a music program for their kids especially if it involves Latin and is free. Often they play piano and can read some music.
  • JahazaJahaza
    For you, I'd ask your pastor permission to solo "cantor" at selective Masses using a narrow variety of chant sources besides the GR/GS, and in English (perhaps also Spanish?) You can find all the sources you need on this forum and at musicasacra.com.

Cantor, yes. English or Spanish, no. We're talking about the EF here.

But yes, there are simplified chant sources and you can work your way up... it's gonna depend on what else is going on in the neighborhood. If you're in a chant and EF desert, you can build a Mass that way just fine, if you're in a world of professional choirs and multiple EF Masses, it's gonna be hard to build a congregation if you're offering simplified chants, etc.
  • kenstb
    CharlesSA, welcome to the forum. Since your pastor has made this decision and come to you with this request, you might ask him to initially take the point on this matter by asking interested parishioners to see you after mass. It seems reasonable that he must be aware of a desire among the congregation for the EF, so perhaps at first you can make use of his knowledge of the congregation and their needs and desires. Canadash has suggested a great resource for all of us interested in forming a schola from scratch. Please let us know how you are doing as you go forward, and break a leg.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • Jahaza, I think Melo was talking about cantoring in the pastors' OF Masses, and seeing by the response who was interested in chant. That of course could well be in English.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, JQ, I was in the middle of this when your correct observation popped up.
    Samuel, I think we're addressing different objectives that may/may not be part of CharlesSA's concerns. As I understand it the EF will be an addition to the schedule. Without any further information, it's difficult to project that the new EF could possibly be SHM fairly early in any timeline. So, if it will be a Lecta/4 hymn, well the language issue is still moot.
    But as JQ said, my interest was aimed toward Charles "flushing out" prospects at all the 2 parishes. I would not advise the exclusive use of Latin for that initial purpose.
  • melofluent, AKA Charles - I am a young Charles - just graduated from college in May - so I am certainly glad to get advice from the "elderly"! Yes, the goal is to do a High Mass every week, but I realize that, depending on who makes up the Schola at the beginning, we'll probably only realistically be able to do one per month, or maybe three weeks depending on how things go. Regarding setting "timelines" and whatnot, I can't exactly do that anyway until I do know what I'm working with. Regarding exposing the congregation to chant in the parish I do work, Father has been there for a little over a year now, so the music director with whom I work (who is the cantor) is almost a year into the "music overhaul" so they have been exposed to Latin and more chant-based music. There are a number of people in the parish who are supportive of the changes, but I'm not sure they would be willing to 1) join a Schola themselves, and 2) begin attending a Latin Mass. Shoot, our choir still only has 7 members, although that is up from the 5 they had a year ago. But still, I will be thinking about how I can possibly find a couple interested people from that parish, as well as the parish at which the EF Mass will be said. Finally, one question - I don't know if this obvious or not, haha...but who are the "PIPs"?

canadash - yes, that is a very good idea to recruit from among the homeschool crowd, so I will look into that.

kenstb - I do think he will have a small handful of suggestions for who may be interested, so I plan to make use of those people if I can.

I may as well throw this out there - This is the Sugar Creek/Independence area in Missouri outside of KC, so if there are any interested forum members in the area, I'd be glad to have you. :)

Thank you to all who have responded so far!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    PIPs are people in pews. There's no reason not to start tomorrow if you have one good singer. Building a larger schola depends a lot on geography and the time: some music majors who hold down a Sunday morning gig might still be interested in exploring a more fulfilling repertory at night.
  • KIndly stop refering to musical duties at mass as 'gigs'. This is pagan. Wherever that word came from it has nothing to do with fulfilling a church musicians vocation, whether part-time, full-time, or occasionally. Mass is not a 'gig'!
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • chonakchonak
    Please try to interpret other people's choice of vocabulary in as charitable a way as you can muster.
  • Um, I did: what could be more charitable than 'Kindly stop...'
    Whatever a 'gig' is, it isn't mass. This is charity towards the mass.
    That's the best I can muster in this matter.
  • chonakchonak
    Your laudable attitude toward the Mass is not charity: it is reverence.

As soon as we can invent a short word for "music performance opportunity" (or "performance commitment"), it'll come in handy.
  • 'engagement' would do.

'mass engagement' would also do.

Must we, of all people, be afflicted with the 'it's got to be one cheap and folksy syllable syndrome' that the rest of the country suffers under?
  • Of course- after all, we young folks can only communicate in monosyllabic words, like "Gradual", "Antiphon," "Evensong," "Magnificat," "Allelluia," and "Schola Cantorum."
  • CharlesW
    How about "gigue?"
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Getting back to helping the OP if we may...

Like some above said, get the message to the congregation somehow because there is likely a few with good musical experience who are not in the choir because reasons.

Also, see if you can recruit from local colleges. Strike up a friendship with the vocal instructors, offer it as educational/resume experience (maybe even see if it could count as ensemble credit), etc. You can dominate the universe if can get a handful of young whippersnappers. :)

• CharlesW
    I would ask the pastor for the names of a few people who may have approached him about an EF mass - I think that is what you were interested in, but that post was long ago and subjects away - LOL. If the pastor can give you any names, talk to those people. Ask where they have been, who they know, who worked with an EF mass they attended elsewhere, if they know singers, and etc. You may get some more names who can give you even more information.
  • Scott W's advice is spot on. You are in an area (greater Kansas City metro) with several colleges and universities with good vocal departments. If you are able to recruit one or two really good singers (and they find it fulfilling), their enthusiasm can be infectious in helping recruit from their friends and acquaintances. You may even find an occasional faculty member who isn't already committed somewhere. High school choral scholars (especially from home-school families) can be another avenue. If they are really good singers (or show potential), get them involved. I would suggest setting guidelines and expectations (regarding attendance at rehearsals and services, studying music at home, decorum, dress-code, etc.) before the first rehearsal. It's much easier to begin with regulations than to try to announce and enforce them later. Prayers and very best wishes for your endeavor. Go for it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesSA
  • GavinGavin
    I like CharlesW's idea. If they asked for the EF, let them sing for it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sorry, Richard C (and thank you SD for your contribution here and elsewhere, always valuable,) but I'm gonna defend my Richmond friend's innocent nomenclature use for the benign non-issue it is, and question the necessity for pomposity digressions that, frankly, make us look like snobs.
    Do the math, Jackson. Anyone who takes the time to post and read and help others in this forum is prima facie not someone who shows up 2 minutes before Mass, has a beer during the homily, and then glibly cashes in a paycheck. Let's show some charity to our colleagues whilst we're reverencing the Divine Liturgy and try not to discern "intent" or disrespect before all else.
    If you're so put off by the term gig, try thinking of the ratio of great DM's like Mr. Mix who spend hours preparing for the efficacy and beauty of each Mass for which he serves, to the number of clerics who literally do walk into the sacristy 1 minute before Mass expecting every detail and minutiae of physical preparation to be in place so that all he has to do is suit up. Think of a lector who can't be bothered to reference the pronunciation of Massah and Meribah, but thunder like a Barrymore, fracture clauses, and take five minutes for one small scriptural paragraph. Think of a deacon who upon first glance of the Universal Prayer (during THE MASS) gets to the intentions for named decendents, and utters "Ee-stay-ban Care-ah-millow" when what is written is "Esteban Caramillo." Those sorts of folk treat the Mass as a gig.
    And we, we musicians who have given a rip for many decades, endure this sort of pathetic atmosphere forever and never say a thing, 'cause we're "the help" when it comes down to it.
    So who's really getting the "gig?"
    Us frogs. And we are disappearing because we can't see the forest for the trees anymore, and everyone from "Father" to some indignant usher to a PIP who complains the d*mn organ's too loud while he's shouting at the top of his lungs to his wife about his gout during the recessionaly hymn.
    Off the soapbox if we can stay off the pedestal.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • CharlesW
    Too funny, Melo. I would laugh if some of it were not so true it makes musicians cry.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's interesting to see how many nautical uses there are of 'gig'. The origin of the musical sense is obscure, but I seriously doubt it's of pagan origin. Around here it is an engagement with expectations of professionalism and I think it connotes higher standards than 'church job' as well as real money ;-) So, would that all whose role is to serve worshipers approached their tasks with the same seriousness.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Gig is actually a very positive term. It is used to define that a person is singing or playing not as an amateur but as a professional.

To say that one "has a gig", that their "gig is at a church" is saying that they are happily being paid to play.

Orchestral musicians refer to "services" but are not referring to religious services. Some can tend to be snobby, raising themselves about musicians who gig or play gigs, by referring to their gigs as services.

When they begin to call orchestral rehearsals and performances "Liturgies" as in, "I've got a liturgy doing the Bach Double, that will need to be dealt with, though there are those who do believe Bach is/was a god.

While god is dog backwards, a gig backwards is still a gig.

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The origin of "gig" seems to be as a colloquialism for "engagement" that arose in the 1920s amongst professional jazz musicians.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "gig"/"colloquial, as in "colloquium?"
    Chuck, you're the second most interesting man in the world!
    If and when I am birthed from purgatory, can I hang out with you and Mahrt? We can have some Dos X's and tell Noel jokes 'til he shows up!
    Stay churchy, my friends. ;-)
  • Richard Mix - yes, theoretically, the priest could start it now and have it every week, because I'm capable of doing all of the chants by myself, and I could also add in a little organ music at some places. I think he is waiting for Septuagesima to start the Latin Mass. He already has a "timeline" in place of when and how he is starting the EF Mass. It's just that I would prefer not to do that myself every week, and although I would be fine with just a small schola to start out, I also would like to recruit choir members so we can sing some polyphony as well.

Scott_W and SamuelDorlaque - That is a very interesting idea to recruit from the colleges in the area! There are I think 5 colleges within 15 miles from the church, and 2 of them are Catholic as well. I think all but one of those 5, though, are nearly 20 minutes' drive away, which might be a drawback. Also, there may be shortages in the summer if the only singers I can find are from colleges, but that is a good idea - thank you both for your comments on that.

CharlesW - thank you for the suggestion. I will ask him to direct me to some of the people interested in the EF to see if they have suggestions for choir members.

• Scott_WScott_W
    Also, there may be shortages in the summer if the only singers I can find are from colleges, but that is a good idea - thank you both for your comments on that.

Perhaps, but remember that in addition to the goal of finding bodies, you are building a network in which you try to know everyone in a 50-mile radius that so much as sings in the shower, or knows someone who does. :)