Missa Campifontis - English MR3
  • SalieriSalieri
    This is hot off the press - just finished last night. The inspiration for this really came at the Bishop's Installation Mass: The ordinary was a mishmash of "Catholic Favorites", with the Gloria being a telescoped setting (by Haydn? - the program didn't say) to which someone fitted *wait for it!* the English text from MR3! I remember thinking during that mumble of Blesses, Lords, and Lambs, "Why not just do the Missal Chant? Or Haugen: it's not great, but at least most people know it. And you can understand the words!" The Gloria is based very much on motives from Gloria XI.

Models for this Mass are Chris Mueller's Missa pro editione tertia, Chuck Giffen's Missa Ascensionis Domini, and Healey Willan's Mass of St. Teresa. (Ironic that the three English Masses have Latin titles and the Latin Mass has an English Title.) Intended to be sung in any permutation: Organ/Cantor/People; Organ/Choir/People/; Cantor/Choir/People/no Organ; etc.

All critiques will be welcome. Attached is the Score, a MIDI, and a Congregation leaflet.
    [Edit: forgot to put the ICEL copyright notice - new score attached.]
    [Edit2: revised version posted below on 11/12/2014]
    [Edit3: revision and new version on 4/12/2016]
  • Soem of the best music comes out of frustration! Thanks for this, Salieri. [and we apologize for all those who think you did Mozart in. We know it's not true.]
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    The "have" of Christ have mercy might be better harmonized; the shift to G major if sung unaccompanied will go down a comma from the starting G, then with the return to G minor the choir will stay down a comma: leading to an unintended, I believe, pitch drift. G major and minor are pretty far apart, so, Schubert aside, going between them directly causes exactly this problem.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks Noel.

I just posted amended files with ICEL's text copyright - only to find that the computer decided to redo the layout of the Gloria. You just can't win sometimes!

Will, I was just thinking about that G minor/major shift this morning, actually; I was thinking it might be a bit abrupt. I may alter the the middle section to shift it into E-flat major; I'll play with it.

I sang the Agnus this morning at Mass at a Nursing Home. It might be my favorite movement.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    the shift to G major

Where? Looks like Bb's all the way through.

If in reference to the F#'s, I would comment that the accompaniment sounds nice without those anyway. Leave as is, but make them all F natural. Maybe that's just because everything I'm writing right now is modal.

if sung unaccompanied will go down a comma from the starting G

If sung unaccompanied, its all a modal G minor melody.
    Where does it go to G major and/or where is this tuning problem in the unaccompanied melody line?

Am I looking at the right piece? Am I looking at the same score as you guys?
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Ryan: I thought the same thing. There are two sentences there separated by a semicolon. "The 'have' of Christ have mercy might be better harmonized," is one thought, the rest of the post was in reference to the Gloria.

There is a shift from G minor (really more hypodorian) to G Major at "Lord Jesus Christ", and back to G minor at "For you alone".

Don't feel bad! I thought the same thing until I saw the semicolon!

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!
  • ryandryand
    I thought it was all in reference to the kyrie. Thanks for clarifying. I've been confused by a lot of comments here recently and it's good to know I'm not crazy (yet)
  • SalieriSalieri
    good to know I'm not crazy (yet)

But we're trying our best!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    (Cross post from "A Capella Setting" thread.)

I have changed the rhythm of the third Mystery of Faith acclamation: "Save us Savior". I will try to repost, but basically: turn the quarter-note on "Cross" to a half-note, keep everything else the same, but get rid of the dot from the half-note on "-rec-" of Resurrection. It stays in two bars of 2/2.
  • SalieriSalieri