A job where you could make a difference.
  • francis
    Go Make A Difference

...uh... wait... Didn't someone say, "Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world. "
  • Mmm … Noel, is the title of this thread meant to be ironic?
  • Not at all...it would be a great place for a person with our interests.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • I mean, there is a divergence of opinions on this forum, to be sure, but furthering the business interests of OCP is not an initiative that most folks here seem to favor.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Given that the Archbishop of Portland in Oregon is a great supporter of sacred music, there is reason to hope for his good influence upon OCP.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Out of curiosity-
    Besides any general dislike of Portlandia (which I get and suffer from) why does everyone hang their black hat there, as opposed to Chicago or Collegeville? I don't recall any fixation about good Cdl. George having much to do with the direction of GIA or WLP.
    And frankly, here's hoping that hoping for some, any, a tad or skosh of philosophical retooling of OCP under good Abp. Sample won't end up as spittin' into the wind. Just sayin'
    Thanked by 1Felipe Gasper
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I applied to this job a few weeks ago.

I have not heard back.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Aren't GIA and WLP independent companies while OCP is run by the Diocese?
  • I agree, melofluent.

OCP does far less twiddling with hymn texts than its Chicago “cousins” and publishes the “Trinitas” series, which has some really fine (IMO) pieces in it. When I worked in a suburban parish I found “Breaking Bread” to have quite a nice, balanced selection of congregational music … at least, “balanced” in the sense of meeting such a place where it is liturgically.

GIA does seem to own most of Proulx’s good stuff, but some of the text changes they do are just tasteless. I’ve not worked much with WLP’s resources except to have made a similar observation about hymn texts to what I see from GIA.
  • CharlesW
    I hate those Proulx hymn harmonizations. They are just plain god-awful ugly. I usually throw them out and substitute traditional settings where possible.
  • Note the other major job opening in Portland in the job listings that could also influence music in the church.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You'd have to be:
    Nutz
    Chilled ice for blood temp and pressure
    Look a lot like Teddy or Eleanor Roosevelt.
    An insomniac
    O my, I'm listening to EWTN USCCB floor debate and my Hannibal is rising.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Blaise
    Francis,

I'm sorry but when I saw your post titled "Go Make a Difference", the first thing that comes to mind is that praise song:

"Go make a difference,
    We can make a difference....
    :)
  • Note the other major job opening in Portland in the job listings that could also influence music in the church.

I doubt in the whole Church; maybe for that archdiocese though.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Couple the head guy in the Diocese with a major publisher and a fine musician at the the Cathedral - that COULD make a difference in the entire church, I agree that a cathedral musician alone could not do that, but this is a triangle of possibility.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW - I really need a job, so if anyone knows anyone that can put in a good word for me...
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I don't think that job is for the cathedral DM, but the archdiocesan director of the Office of Worship. I'm pretty sure their cathedral DM is very much involved with OCP and has been for years.
  • The office for worship director often has little to do with music. Usually there's also a diocesan director of music, and often this person is also the cathedral music director.

From a minute of google research, it seems as though the Portland cathedral music director also serves as the archdiocesan music director; at least a couple of web results, including a newspaper article, mentioned her as being the one responsible for the archdiocesan liturgies.

Oftentimes it seems as though the director of the office of worship is more like a human rubrics dictionary for people in parishes. They also of course plan the details out of the diocesan liturgies, like who reads, who brings up gifts, etc. But they often have little to do with music.

The Portand cathedral director is an editor at OCP. She seems, by all accounts I could find, to be a high calibre musician. She is an organist and holds an MM in choral conducting.

Remember, OCP is more than Spirit and Song - I suspect they go with what they sell the most of. I've talked to several high up people at GIA as well and they seem to PERSONALLY have low enthusiasm for some of the stuff in their own catalog, and each seem to be a very highly trained respectable musician. But they acknowledge that they are a business and they are giving in to supply and demand. They didn't SAY those words, but that's the sense I get from several conversations with them.
  • CharlesW
    But they acknowledge that they are a business and they are giving in to supply and demand. They didn't SAY those words, but that's the sense I get from several conversations with them.

That's the key, profitability. I suspect GIA would fall all over itself publishing chant if they could sell it by the boat load. The same for the other publishers. They offer what sells and couldn't stay in business, otherwise. I don't know of any solution unless Catholics can be educated to demand better music. Given the general state of music education in Catholic schools - the public ones are not better - who will do the educating. You may have folks at mass one hour per week, at least the ones who attend. Not much teaching time.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Adam, to clarify, you're speaking of the East/Greater Bay area, right?
    I'd be surprised if Ms. Westhoff-Johnson doesn't get the nod if she applies in Portlandia.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, to clarify, you're speaking of the East/Greater Bay area, right?

I applied to the SALES job at OCP.
    I probably didn't get a call because I asked in my application to be able to work remotely, with some travel.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ah, so......
    You're seeking some supportive communications with the Death Star's HR?
    Uh, then you don't want me giving a call.
    In fact, you don't know me. Who are you again?
    And no one here knows me either, like Adam Who? Everyone on the same page? AW needs the gig. That company would benefit greatly with him (who?) representing them. I could finally get my boutique parish hymnal with his (who?) help.
    This post will self-destruct in five seconds.
    5-4-3-2-1.
    (I'm not here)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood