Sarum Gospel Tone(s)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm sure its out there on the internet somewhere, but I can not find tones for chanting the Gospels from the Sarum tradition.

I need it because of reasons.
  • You can find them in The Use of Salisbury, Edited by Nick Sandon (Newton Abbott, Eng.: Antico Church Music, 1986- vol. 1. The ordinary of the Mass

Both the ferial and festal forms of the Sarum Gospel tone closely resemble Tone B in the Graduale Romanum. They differ principally in that the final (cadential) clivis is replaced by a punctum. In the ferial tone this punctum is a semitone lower than the reciting note. In the festal tone it is a minor third lower.

Also, the mediant cadence is treated more flexibly. In Tone B the first accent of the mediation is always preceded by one preparatory note (La). In the Sarum forms the preparatory note is sometimes repeated several times. Furthermore in the second foot of the mediant cadence the epenthesis is placed on Ti rather than on Do.
  • Here's a link to the publisher's page devoted to The Use of Salisbury.
    http://www.anticoedition.co.uk/html/liturgy.htm

It is in print, although Amazon does not sell it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Bruce - (or someone else who could follow that explanation) if you have a moment -

Could you sketch out the Festal Tone with a couple example sentences? Even just with a pencil and take a pic with your phone or something.

I'm trying to get this ready for the deacon for a liturgy on Tuesday, and I don't have enough experience with words like "epenthesis" to translate your notes above into practical use.
  • RSCM Music Direct in Britain sells Antico Edition's editions.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • If you'll give me the text you need to have set and your e-mail address, I'll set it for you and send it to you.

An epenthesis is an extra note added to a formula to accommodate the extra syllable when two unaccented syllables follow the accented syllable. Let's suppose that the final word at the mediation is "Dominus." In Tone B it would be set thus:

• Continued:

G A A
    Do-mi-nus

In the Sarum Gospel tones it would be set thus:

G G A
    Do- mi-nus

In both "Deus" would be set thus:

G A
    De- us

Please send the Gospel text you want to have set to: bford57047@aol.com
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have sent it.

THANKS!
  • I have sent the notated version back to you.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood