What color vestments did you see on November 2?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Obviously there are 4 or 5 possible options, depending on whether you attended the EF or OF.

What did you see?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We had violet at 2 Masses and black at 5 Masses.
  • Walsingham: Black.
  • BenBen
    We had a lovely black one at our OF Mass. At our EF Pontifical Mass tomorrow, there will be black, obviously.
  • ryandryand
    Black
  • chonakchonak
    Violet. It's a small church that probably has no black vestments anyway.
  • CharlesW
    3 OF masses, two priests. Two masses in violet, the other in black. The EF later in the day was also black.
  • White. NO Mass.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Black at all masses, even the visiting priest wore black.
  • OF at the parish where I work - violet.
    EF at the parish where I'm a member - green, because All Souls was transferred to Monday.
  • White with maroon/gold. Looked very nice.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Black.
  • Liam
    White.
  • kevinfkevinf
    One wonders about the relationship between the NO masses and the colour. Last year it was white for All Souls. This year ( change of pastor) it was black. For many people, it was the first time they have seen black. It provoked a lot of questions and a lot of "why do we do this now and why haven't we done this before."

The curious pace of reform.....
  • canadashcanadash
    Black and violet depending on the Mass, but not at the same time.
  • Liam
    Just waiting for the new blog, "Stuff White Vestments Like".
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    Black and green.
  • What was the color of the chasuble worn by Pope Francis for Mass on November 2?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    White.
  • TCJ
    Mass #1: White
    Mass #2: Black
    Mass #3: Green (EF)
  • matthewjmatthewj

What was the color of the chasuble worn by Pope Francis for Mass on November 2?

White, though I'm thinking you probably knew the answer.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • fcbfcb
    Anticipated Mass on Saturday: Green (I spaced out and put out the wrong color for the visiting priest; he didn't seem to notice)

Sunday Morning Mass: White (our simpler set).

Sunday afternoon Mass celebrating All Souls and the 225th anniversary of the Archdiocese of Baltimore: White.
  • Out of four (across three priests at two parishes) that I played the organ for:

Two white.
    Two gray (both the same priest).

Yeah, gray. No idea where that priest got them; he usually wears white for funerals.
  • I've never heard of grey vestments! Is this unique?
  • quilisma
    Violet (All Souls)
    Thought we were going to get black but the priest decided that the black Gothic chasuble was too ugly and he wasn't brave enough to wear the fiddle-back one for an OF mass.

BTW, could those posting say what Mass was being celebrated, particularly if white vestments were seen? In England it would have been All Saints on Sunday so white would be appropriate. Never mind about the appropriateness of celebrating All Saints on the 2nd November instead of the 1st. At least they're not celebrating All Souls on a Sunday so there's no debate about whether we should have a Gloria.
  • ronkrisman
    I've never heard of grey vestments! Is this unique?

I don't know how widespread grey vestments are. I was presented vestments in that color at the parish at which I presided yesterday. The "grey" was very light, closer to white than what most may think of as grey. The vestments were fabricated by Holy Rood, Spencer, MA.
  • Liam
    "Lenten white" perhaps? (I thought that was unbleached linen, rather than gray/grey.)
  • White, though I'm thinking you probably knew the answer.
    No, Matthew, I didn't know the answer. I wouldn't have asked the question if I already knew the answer.
  • Fr. wore white vestments for All Souls celebrated on 2Nov in the USA.
  • nun_34nun_34
    Violet here.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No, Matthew, I didn't know the answer. I wouldn't have asked the question if I already knew the answer.

Ah, forgive me for thinking otherwise.

Actually upon a bit further Googling, I've found that it doesn't appear the Pope said a public Mass on Nov. 2. The image I saw of the white vestments was from Nov. 1. He said Mass for the deceased cardinals and bishops from the past year this morning and wore red.

From the Boston Pilot:

"Leading visitors in St. Peter's Square in the recitation of the Angelus prayer again Nov. 2, Pope Francis spoke about All Souls' Day and the importance of praying for the dead -- both loved ones who have passed away, but also unknown people who have no one to mourn for or remember them.

"Today we are called to remember all of them, even those whom no one remembers," he said. "Let us remember the victims of wars and violence, the many little ones of the world who have been crushed by hunger and poverty; let us remember the anonymous ones who now rest in collective graves."

Offering a Mass for the deceased, the pope said, "is the best spiritual help we can give to their souls."

After praying privately at the tombs of previous popes in the Vatican grottos the evening of Nov. 2, he celebrated Mass in St. Peter's Basilica Nov. 3 for the 10 cardinals and 111 bishops who died over the last year."
  • My home parish (where I cantor): Purple.
    My other parish (where I sing in a choir): White.
    Both OF for the Feast of All Souls.
    I do know of a priest who wore Black for the day.
  • Could the grey actually have been the Lenten Array?
    (Which isn't really grey, though... not a good comparison.)
  • Violet - All souls ireland
  • Here at the fledgling oratory in York, UK we had an EF high mass external solemnity of All Saints on Nov 2 (so gold vestments) and EF solemn requiem on Nov 3rd (black vestments). Always learning something new with the Oratorians in town: All Saints has an octave in the EF and hence the external solemnity works for Nov 2nd.

EF high masses are a bit like buses: you never see one for ages, and then two come along at once...
    Thanked by 2JulieColl expeditus1
  • White (OF, All Souls, USA)
  • All Souls....OF....black for all Masses...south central Pennsylvania
  • At the Oakland Cathedral we had black for the Solemn Requiem Mass with the bishop. At the other Masses we had white (with black inlay), our funeral chasuble set from Holy Rood.

http://bishopbarbersj.wordpress.com/
    792 x 528 - 293K
    Thanked by 2eft94530 Caleferink
  • tomjaw
    Green (E.F.)
    On the 3rd we had Black (E.F.)
  • eft94530eft94530
    All Ordinary Form ...
    Sat 5:00 pm white
    Sun 8:30 am black
    Sun 11:00 am white
  • donr
    Black
  • I attended only one mass. All were in purple, except for the Bishop who wore black.
  • BruceL
    At the Oakland Cathedral we had black for the Solemn Requiem Mass with the bishop. At the other Masses we had white (with black inlay), our funeral chasuble set from Holy Rood.

You know, that's a great idea to do a funeral set that is both colors.

Birmingham, AL Cathedral of St. Paul: Black. We don't have a solemn set so evidently our rector borrowed two nice vintage dalmatics from the EWTN friars.

Rector gave one of the best, most hopeful homilies I've ever heard on purgatory. It was magnificent.

Also, I think (even if you prefer white for funerals) that black on All Souls is a necessity. It jars us, reminding us of our obligation to pray for the dead. Most Catholics are clueless to this great belief of our faith.
    Thanked by 2matthewj CHGiffen