What is your music for All Souls?
  • ghmus7
    Prelude: improvisation on Jerusalem my Happy Home
    Hymn: Jerusalem...with organ interludes and a longer interlude with modulation before the last verse
    kyrie Jubilate
    no Gloria
    psalm: Chabanel My Soul is Thirsting (alt)
    Gospel acclamation and verse: tonus peragamus."heaven is our true home..."
    Gospel sung by preist
    Offertory: hymn: Be Still my Soul
    Sanctus: jubilate
    Memorial Accalaimation: Simplex
    Amen Simplex
    Agnus jubilate
    Communion Antiphon: Lux Eterna (Gregorian Missal) 3 vs. Latin(schola)
    Motet: Jesu Redomptor Omnium a3 O Ravanello, sung by the Holy Trinity Seminary Schola Cantorum.
    Hymn: Completed Lord, These Holy Mysteries
    Recessional: Hymn :I Know That My Redeemer Lives. (Duke st)
    Postlude: Prelude and Fugue in C Major
    J. S. Bach.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    Entrance: I Know That My Redeemer Lives ( Duke Street)
    Mass Ordinary: ICEL chant minus the Gloria
    Psalm: Twenty Third Psalm (della Picca)
    Offertory - choir: Come, Sweetest Death (Komm, Susser Tod) Bach
    Communion: Rice communion chant
    Hymn: Awake, O Sleeper, Rise from Death (Azmon)
    Recessional: Lord, Bid Your Servant Go in Peace (Morning Song)
    Postlude: none or one of the following at more heavily attended masses:

Mit Fried Und Freud Ich Fahr Dahin and/or Ich Ruf Zu Dir (Bach) - also can be used as incidental music to fill spaces at the larger masses.
  • Prelude: "Requiem aeternam" (Near)
    Entrance: "Keep in Mind"
    Kyrie: Gregorian Missa pro defunctis
    Psalm: Psalm 23 (Crandal)
    Alleluia: mode VI chant
    Offertory: Children's Choir -- "Pie Jesu" (Fauré)
    Sanctus: Jubilate Deo
    Mystery of Faith/Amen: Mass of Wisdom
    Pater noster: chant in English
    Agnus Dei: Jubilate Deo
    Communion: Psalm 130 (Joncas)
    Recessional: "Song of Farewell" (Sands)
    Postlude: "In paradisum" (Near)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No prelude or postlude (MS 66)
    Requiem Aeternum, Mode VI
    Kyrie XVIII for Masses for the Dead
    Psalm (LCM)
    Alleluia (LCM)
    Out of the Depths (LCM)
    Dies Irae, Mode I
    Sanctus/Agnus Dei XVIII
    Qui Manducat, Mode VI
    Sicut Cervus, Palestrina
    Jerusalem My Happy Home, LAND OF REST
  • SalieriSalieri
    Sung Prelude: Qui Lazarum (Matins Respond)
    Introit: Requiem aeternam - with congregation, in Adoremus Hymnal
    Kyrie XVIII B
    Tract: Absolve O Lord (Psalm-tone VIII - Anglican Use Gradual)
    Offertory: Lord Jesus Christ (SEP)
    Sanctus/Agnus: XVIII
    Communion: May light eternal (Requiem Mass, 1964)
    Dies irae
    Wszystko Tobie (if needed)
    All Soul's Procession/Absolution Wieczny odpoczynek
    Recessional: Serdeczna Matko
  • Forgive me, but isn't organ music forbidden today?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Not today, but tomorrow.
  • GavinGavin
    Holy Communion, Rite I (Anglican)

Prelude: Psalm Prelude set 1, no. 2 - Howells
    Entrance: Litany for the Departed
    Introit and Kyrie: Fauré in D minor
    Gradual: Psalm 130 - C. Hylton Stewart
    Sequence: Light's abode, celestial Salem
    Creed: Chanted
    Prayers for the Departed: Chanted
    Offertory: Fauré in D minor
    Sursum corda: Chanted
    Sanctus: Fauré in D minor
    Fraction anthem: "Alleluia, Pascha nostrum", recited
    At the Communion: "Agnus Dei and Communion", from Fauré in D minor; "Pie Jesu" from the Same
    Funeral Ikos: Recited
    Commendation: Fauré in D minor
    Antiphon: "In paradisum", from Fauré in D minor
    Hymn in Procession: All my hope on God is founded
    Postlude: Allegro giocoso - Camille Saint-Saëns
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • donr
    Forgive me, but isn't organ music forbidden today?

where is that written, I've never heard that before?
  • kevinfkevinf
    We're singing this for All Souls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttQpWUMA7U
    Thanked by 2JulieColl MariaRist
  • matthewjmatthewj

where is that written, I've never heard that before?

Musicam Sacram 66
  • donr
    thank you sir.

for those who haven't seen it, here it is.

66. The playing of these same instruments as solos is not permitted in Advent, Lent, during the Sacred Triduum and in the Offices and Masses of the Dead. - See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/MusicamSacram.html#sthash.nkX4G5QF.dpuf
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Some will argue that organ preludes and postludes are outside of the Mass, and they are correct. However, using this argument one opens one's self up for other things (a priest doing a comedy routine, raffles, liturgical dance, youth group skits) being argued as being allowed at this time as it is "outside of the Mass."

I treat the church as though Mass has begun from about an hour before Mass until about an hour after Mass. No (or very minimal) talking, no organ music in Lent or Advent, no dancing bears, etc. It is usually my hope that by doing so, others will do the same.
  • CharlesW
    I may do some organ music, or may not. I follow GIRM but don't feel any particular obligation to follow MS. It's a bit out of date and some would argue it has been superseded by more recent documents giving authority to the conferences of bishops. In any event, argue it if you like. I may do some low-key organ music anyway - or may not.
  • We are singing For All The Saints, as recommended by the Music Commission of the Canadian Council of Catholic Bishops as an apt replacement for the introit.
  • Saint Edward, Newark, CA 10:00 AM Missa Cantata (OF)
    Choral Prelude: "Their bodies are buried in peace" ... G. F. Handel
    Gregorian Requiem from the Graduale Romanum with Mass XVIII
    Offertory motet: "De profundis clamavi" a 5 ... Palestrina
    Communion motet: "Holy is the true light" ... William H. Harris
    Retiring Procession: "In paradisum" & "Chorus Angelorum"
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • matthewjmatthewj
    (empty post)
  • SalieriSalieri
    (empty post)

(because of reasons)
  • We are singing the Faure Requiem at our Mass. Blessed with a pastor who wants to give it a go. Solo Violin, 4 Violas, 2 Cellos, 2 Horns, 2 Trumpets, Harp, Organ, and SATB choir. Singing a recently composed and Anglican-like chant of Psalm 130, a slightly simplified Tract, the 'Dies Irae' Sequence, and a chanted Credo with a polyphonic 'Et incarnatus est'. Looking forward to it. Pray that my wife can hold off having our baby till after the Mass! (Baby is due on Wednesday!)
    Thanked by 2canadash barreltone
  • Nov 2 (OF)*:

• Hymn at Entrance: "Jerusalem, My Happy Home" (Land of Rest)
    • Introit, Offertory, & Communion: SEP
    • Kyrie: XVI; Sanctus & Agnus: XVIII
    • Communion (9:15): Lux aeterna (Gregorian chant, Victoria Requiem a 4)
    • Hymn at Exit: "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" (St. Columba), alt. lyrics

*organ and toaster support singing

Nov 3 (EF Pontifical High @ throne)*:

• Hymn at Entrance: "Jerusalem, My Happy Home" (Land of Rest)
    • Introit, Kyrie, Gradual, Offertory, Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus, Communion: Victoria Requiem a 4
    • Tract, Sequence, Responsory Libera me: Gregorian chant
    • Hymn at Exit: "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" (St. Columba)

*silent toaster
  • matthewjmatthewj
    412 x 128 - 14K
  • I had the privilege last night of going to the Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland. Our Bishop Michael Barber, SJ celebrated the Mass of All Souls in the Ordinary Form in Latin. Dr. Rudy de Vos led the Diocesan Choir in a gorgeous performance of the Faure Requiem adapted to use in the OF: "Libera me" for the prelude; separating the Introit & Kyrie for the opening "In nomine" and "Confiteor"; a responsorial psalm setting by Jeff Ostrowski & Alleluia by Gregory Murray, OSB; Credo III; Offertorium; Sanctus, followed by the "Benedictus qui venit" of Mass XVIII; "Pater noster" (which the people sang with the most confidence); Agnus Dei from Mass XVIII; after the Ecce Agnus & Domine, non sum dingus, the choir continued with the Faure "Agnus Dei & Lux aeterna"; Cathedral soprano, Rebekah Wu, sang probably the most serene "Pie Jesu" I have heard. The glorious "In paradisum" served as the music for the retiring procession. (Note everyone stayed in place and remained silent until the last harp note had completely died away!!!
    This is a very important "first" for Oakland- a bishop with four concelebrating priests praying the Eucharistic Prayer in Latin; very beautiful high-quality black vestments for all the clergy; a beautiful homily by the bishop tying together the story of Faure and our celebration of All Souls; an assembly of several hundreds actually very prayerful throughout the mass. After the Deacon intoned "Ite missa est" the people replied with a "Deo gratias" that I felt was actually prophetic. Thank God and pray for the Diocese of Oakland and our Bishop Michael Barber.
  • Not today, but tomorrow.

Sorry. That IS what I meant. I only have a Saturday Catholic Mass now, so I'm a day ahead of everyone else. By today I meant "today's" anticipated Masses. (Not to be confused with The Solemnity of All Saints during the day during which I hope the organ was played robustly!)
  • Cathedral of Saint Joseph, Sioux Falls SD:

vigil: Graduale Propers for Introit, Offertory, Communion. In Paradisum for Recessional. O Mensch Bewein for prelude.

Sunday morning: 2 masses with men's chant schola: Graduale Propers for Introit, Offertory, Communion, Mendelssohn, Beati Mortui post-communion, In Paradisum, Recessional

11 AM Mass: Cathedral Choir, Faure Requiem (Introit, Offertory, Agnus Dei/Communio at Communion, followed by Pie Jesu post-communion, In Paradisum for Recessional).

What a novel weekend! All the Propers, no hymns.

No, the congregation did not sing at communion (something explicitly allowed by the GIRM). Some heads may explode at that, but I'm not having that discussion again here - until the Church changes her official liturgical legislation. :)
    Congregation sang the Ordinary, memorial acc + amen, dialogues, responsorial psalm and gospel acclamation.

As far as the recessional hymn debate, certainly don't mess with it - especially if you're replacing other hymns with propers. But I will believe the recessional hymn is an important part of American Catholic culture the day I look back and don't see most of the congregation putting down their hymnals after verse one. After playing at a number of parishes (and, certain "big days" like Christmas and Easter and parish festival days aside), the main thing I've seen during recessional hymns is walking out by the congregants (or often kneeling to begin a post-mass prayer) and/or exasperation when the organist dares to play 2 or -gasp- 3 or 4 verses of this hymn. I don't see a pressing need to get rid of the recessional hymn, but I also am far from convinced that it is deeply important to the average American Catholic. Personally I would tend to not have these hymns during Ordinary time, perhaps saving them as part of an abundance of musical riches for special seasons/feast days that have lots of well known hymns. Recessional hymn to get one more Christmas carol in on Christmas or trumpet-fanfare Easter hymn at Easter? Great! Always having a recessional hymn because you're "supposed to" no matter the season or day? Not so inspiring...this just lends itself to the homogenization of the liturgical year.

BTW - we currently have recessional hymns at every mass, year-round. I'm just saying that keeping this hymn is not necessarily my #1 priority.
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • Holy Family Church, Toronto, ON, Canada:

Ordinary and Proper (except gradual, sequence, and offertory verse from the GR):
    Missa pro defunctis a 6 - Tomás Luis de Victoria

I've told them that if my heart stops, just to make it my funeral!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    We also sang parts of the Faure Requiem: Introit, Kyrie, Pie Jesu and In Paradisum along with the Missa Orbis Factor and Now Know We Not for the recessional hymn.
  • CharlesW
    We did get the Faure Pie Jesu at the last mass of the morning. The earlier masses got Bach. How depressing - LOL.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Thanks for the Oakland report, Samuel! Rebekah can sing indeed. I was sorry to pass up the invitation but we were doing Op. 40 at our parish too, both Sat. and Sunday morning (with organ only).
    ...separating the Introit & Kyrie for the opening "In nomine" and "Confiteor";

That's less heinous than stopping (much less vamping!) in the Agnus-Communion, but we went instead with:

Voluntary
    1. Introit-Kyrie (Fauré)
    spoken penitential rite with "Lord have mercy" (if I'd thought a bit harder the bulletin could have had Kyrie XVIIIa after confiteor)
    Gradual Ps Gelineau
    Mode 1 Alleluia w/ circle-of-Lassus fauxbourdon
    2. Offertory (Fauré)
    Sanctus XVIII
    Agnus XVIII
    4. Agnus-Lux (Fauré)
    dismissal
    7. In Paradisum (Fauré)
    Voluntary

6. the Libera me, apparently composed a decade earlier, was the Offertory for OT 27.
    Someday if I feel ambitious I'll make an edition showing all the SSATBB divisi. Our altos were very gracious about reading Rutter's bass clefs.
  • At Walsingham:

11.15 Solemn High Mass -
    Introit - Reqiem aeternam - G. Faure
    Gradual Psalm - CXXX, De profundis (in directum) - Anglican Chant, Wllm. Thos. Best
    Tract - Absolve Domine - Anglican Use Gradual
    Offertory Antiphon - Domine Iesu Christe - AUG
    Offertory Anthem - The Lord Is My Shepherd - H. Howells
    Sanctus - Missa pro defunctis - Plainchant
    Agnus Dei - Missa pro defunctis - Plainchant
    Communion Antiphon - Lux aeterna - AUG
    Communion Anthem - Pie Jesu - G. Faure
    Post-Communion Hymn - Be Thou My Vision - 'Slane'
    Post-Dismissal - In Paradisum - M. Durufle

4.00 Evensong
    A Voluntary from My Ladye Nevells Booke of Virginal Music - Wllm. Byrd
    Introit - Iustorum animae - Wllm Byrd
    Preces and Responses - Wllm. Byrd
    Office Hymn - Hark the Sound of Holy Voices - 'Deerhust'
    The Psalter - Ps. XV, Domine, quis habitavit - Chant, Edw. J. Hopkins
    Magnificat (Fifth Service) - Thomas Tomkins
    Nunc Dimittis (Fifth Service) - Thomas Tomkins
    The Suffrages - Wllm. Byrd
    The Anthem - Gaudeamus omnes - Wllm. Byrd
    Hymn - Angel Voices Ever Singing - 'Angel Voices'
    Voluntary - Fantasia chromatica, SsWV 258 - J.P. Sweelinck

This morning was this autumn's first appearance of our Treble Choir, consisting of 19 young boys and girls. They sang, as they always do, the treble parts of all the day's polyphony and SATB choral music along with the sopranos of the Parish Choir.

Also, our new choirmaster and organist was announced this morning. He is Edwin McMurray, who was until now the choirmaster-organist of our Lady of the Atonement in San Antonio.

Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • Our music is mostly run-of-the-mill contemporary stuff, but there were two highlights this weekend. First, our men's schola sang the All Souls chants from the SEP at the Saturday anticipated Mass. Second, I played Dom Paul Benoit's "Triptyque" for organ (based on chants from the Requiem Mass) for the prelude, offertory, and postlude. I also made a recording of it for YouTube; I'm not sure how to embed that here, but it can be found easily enough.

(And yes, I know the rule against organ solos during penitential seasons and at Masses of the Dead, but that has never been followed at any parish I've worked for, and I get yelled at every time I bring it up, so I just play things that fit the occasion. I'm only the assistant organist, not the music director.)
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • CharlesW
    All in all, it was a good day yesterday. Best All Souls ever. Dignified, solemn liturgy, appropriate music, and an organ "filler" during communion which was needed. No apologies to anyone.
  • Prelude: Pie Jesu from Durufle Requiem
    Introit: Introit from Durufle Requiem
    Hymn: Jerusalem My Happy Home
    Psalm: 23 Gelineau
    Offertory: O Lord, You Died that All Might Live
    Sanctus: Sanctus from Durufle Requiem
    Agnus Dei: Agnus Dei from Durufle Requiem
    Communion: Lux Aeterna from Durufle Requiem
    Communion: In Paradisum from Durufle Requiem
    Hymn: I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
    Organ: Toccata from Suite Gothique by Boellmann
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Best part of my day- Albinoni ADAGIO postlude after schola Mass.
  • Fauré Requiem for two Sunday Masses (adults at both, boys at 9 AM and girls at 11 AM); Fauré baritone solos and Gregorian Chant Requiem Saturday night.
  • Mark K
    Here is what we did at my small rural parish in prairie Canada:

- We used Alstott’s Heritage Mass for the ordinaries (our usual setting)
    - Procession: Introit and verses from the Simple English Propers (Bartlett)
    - Rite of Sprinkling by R. Rice (Simple Choral Gradual)
    - We sang the Gloria (Canada)
    - Responsorial Psalm: Ps 103 in CCCB Lectionary (NSRV text) with refrain “The Lord is merciful and gracious”. We sang Andrew Malton’s setting (simple tone)
    - Offertory: Ps 130 with refrain “With the Lord there is mercy, and fullness of redemption” from CBW II
    - Communion: Ps 23 with refrain “The Lord is my Shepherd” from CBW II
    - Recession: hymn “I was full of Joy, Alleluia” in CBW II (a funeral favourite here)

I was happy with how things went. We chanted the Introit a cappella and by the third refrain the congregation was singing it very well.
    About fifty people were in attendance - not bad for us :)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I remember "I was Full of Joy" from CBWII. It has no copyright or composer information, am I correct? Do you know the history behind the piece?
  • Solemn Requiem Mass, OF in Latin
    Prelude: Libera me from Fauré Requiem
    Introit: Introit from Fauré Requiem
    Penitential Act Kyrie from Fauré Requiem
    Responsorial Psalm Psalm 23 by Jeff Ostrowski
    Gospel Acclamation Alleluia by Gregory Murray, O.S.B.
    Creed Credo III
    Offertory O Domine, Iesu Christe from Fauré Requiem
    Sanctus Sanctus from Fauré and Benedictus from Mass XVIII
    Mystery of Faith Mortem tuam...
    Agnus Dei chant, Mass XVIII
    Communion antiphon Agnus Dei & Lux Aeterna from Fauré Requiem, Pie Jesu from Fauré Requiem
    Recessional In Paradisum from Fauré Requiem.

English Solemn All Souls Day Mass
    Prelude Aria on a chaconne (Joel Martinson)
    Processional Hymn Grant Them Eternal Rest (LAND OF REST, Hymn introits by Chris Tietze)
    Penitential Act Kyrie (from Mass of St. Ignatius, by Russell Weismann)
    Responsorial Psalm Psalm 23 (Jeff Ostrowski)
    Gospel Acclamation Alleluia (Gregory Murray, O.S.B.)
    Offertory In the Land of the Living (Philip Stopford)
    Eucharistic Acclamations Mass of St. Ignatius (Weismann)
    Lamb of God Mass of St. Ignatius (Weismann)
    Communion Holy is the True Light (W.H. Harris)
    Lux aeterna (with psalm verses)
    Recessional Hymn Lord of All Hopefulness (SLANE)

We typically have no assembly singing during communion either. The communion antiphon and choral motet covers the entire ritual.
  • tomjaw
    E.F. Missa Cantata (First sung Mass E.F. in that church for 40 years!)
    Introit, Kyrie, Gradual, Tract, Sequence, Offertory, Sanctus, Agnus, Communion: Gregorian chant as in the Graduale Romanum.
    Congregati sunt (chant) as extra piece during communion.

Music for Congregati sunt here,
    http://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/all-souls/
  • Mark K
    Hi MatthewJ: you are correct, I can't find any copyright/composer information either. It's in CBW and CBW II but not CBW III.

I too am curious about its origins. For me it's a hymn that I remember hearing since I was a little kid in the early 70s. People here still know it and like to sing it.
  • BenBen
    We had a pontifical Mass at the throne in Madison, WI yesterday evening with the Extraordinary Ordinary, Bishop Robert Morlino. We sang the following:

Victoria's Requiem a4: Introit, Kyrie, Gradual, Offertory, Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus
    Gregorian: Tract, Sequence, Responsory (at the catafalque)

Also jerusalem my happy home before and The King of Love my Shepard Is afterward.

• eft94530eft94530
    Richard Mix:

Voluntary Prelude: Requiem Aeternam: Charles Callahan
    [...]
    Voluntary Postlude: In Paradisum: Charles Callahan

Fixed. :-)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    You've outed yourself!
  • Voluntary Prelude Voluntary: Requiem Aeternam: Charles Callahan

[...]
    Voluntary Postlude Voluntary: In Paradisum: Charles Callahan

Fixed back. !
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Our Choristers- 40 strong!- sang for All Souls on Monday night.
    They sung the Requiem with full Gregorian propers. I was very proud of my cantors and schola, all teens and pre-teens who did the heavy lifting. Special shout out to Vicky Franklin, who sang the Libera me for the first time, and led a group on the Dies irae.
    With so many newbies, I thought it was best to have more accompaniment than usual, so 5/17 pieces were supported by the organ.
    The biggest feat was managing all the new little ones, making sure they weren't fainting or crying or poking their neighbor...
    Actually, they showed good decorum overall. And they really got into praying for the faithful departed. They soaked up theology discussions like sponges and compiled a list of their own beloved dead, which was then given to the priests before mass.

Between their hard work and fervor, they earned their favorite game for the second hour of class tomorrow- solfege glowsticks with rotating student conductors. Woo hoo!

• ghmus7
    Wow, you are all champions of the Faith!
  • lmassery
    Eternal Rest Grant Unto Them: Introit hymn by Teitze (WLP)
    The Lord is My Light, Walker
    Communion Antiphon by Andrew Motyka
    I Know That My Redeemer Lives (Duke Street)
  • Introit: Introit from Requiem, Faure
    Kyrie: Kyrie from Requiem, Faure
    Alleluia: Taize in D minor
    Offertory: Libera Me from Requiem, Faure
    Sanctus: Sanctus from Requiem, Faure
    Mysterium Fidei: ICEL Tone
    Great Amen: ICEL Tone
    Pater Noster: Gregorian Chant, Latin
    Agnus Dei I: Mass XVIII
    Agnus Dei II: Agnus Dei from Requiem, Faure
    Communion: Communio from Requiem, Faure
    Hymn: "Remember Those O Lord"
    Recessional: In Paradisum from Requiem, Faure

It was a good All Soul's Day Mass.
  • canadashcanadash
    hartleymartin: Just curious, did you have introductory rites between the Introit and Kyrie? Or did you sing the Introit and Kyrie as written? We stopped between the two.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Ben, do you know where the got the vimpas with the diocesan coat of arms for the Miter- and Crosier-bearers?