Rheinberger and Day -
  • It may be of interest to our members who are AGO members or who can avail themselves of copies of The American Organist, that in the October and November issues is a fine two-part essay on J.G. Rheinberger and his role in the reform of Catholic Church Music. These essays are based on an address to the CMAA colloquium of June 2012. Also, in the November issue, is a lengthy review of the new edition of Thos. Day's Why Catholics Can't Sing.

Concerning the latter, I have come to think that the 'Catholics can't sing' syndrome should more properly be labelled the 'Catholics don't sing', or the 'Catholics won't sing' syndrome. Catholics can, or certainly could, sing but for the sheepish culture in which they are steeped. In many subtle (and not so subtle) ways, Catholics (those who are not in holy orders, that is) are conditioned to be docile, non-assertive, non-praisefully-expressive, initiativeless, obediently fawning, and very emotionally cautious, particularly at liturgy. There are too many priests who really do not want a congregation that is alive, and would, even, be threatened by it. Too much 'active (alive!) participation' would, strangely, be thought, not the evidence of a soul which was 'glad when they said unto me we will go into the house of the Lord', but merely irreverent. Now, this is not true everywhere! I know of and experience several Catholic congregations other than Walsingham whose song could not be bettered by anyone. Such congregations are to be found in many places. But, where they aren't, there is an unfortunate reason rooted in clerical wet blankets and a liturgically malformed milieu. Catholics very well can sing. They very well do in more and more places. But where they don't it isn't because they can't. It is because they have learnt (from somewhere!) that they shouldn't bother.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen ZacPB189
  • Catholics very well can sing. They very well do in more and more places. But where they don't it isn't because they can't. It is because they have learnt (from somewhere!) that they shouldn't.

Where do they sing? Ballparks? Around a piano in a bar? Let us know where this is?

They have not learned that they should not, instead the lack of choral support, decent organ accompaniment, dead acoustics coupled with attempted song leading over a microphone to replace the organ accompaniment and choral support combined with non-scanning lyrics makes it clear to them that only the super-pious try to sing, unaware that they are proceeding against unsurmountable odds - and failing as a result.

I think that I do know where you find them singing:

A building that is reverberant so they do not feel that everyone around them is going to hear them but that their voice joins with the others, with an organist who plays to lead and balances the level of the organ to support them and a choir that is led by a competent director and a director of music who does not choose music to match the readings but instead chooses music with text that scans, that they know well and where very little "new" music is added to be sung without long preparation by playing it as organ music and then having the choir introduce it as a communion meditation or offertory and then, finally, letting them sing it.

All of this without having a song leader take time before Mass to TEACH the chant or hymn. This disrupts the flow of the worship and is totally unnecessary.

When you have a wonderful situation like this, the bishop transfers the pastor and you are out on the street. Something to look forward to, no?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Why Noel, nearly every one of your points and experiences are valid. But! They are additional reasons that Catholics don't or won't sing - not that they can't. It seems to me that, between us, we are quite right. We need very badly to leave this 'can't' mentality behind and correct the cultural, institutional, and practical impediments. Catholics can sing! Stop saying that they can't!
  • CharlesW
    Yes, they can sing, and my congregation does. They sing Mass Ordinary, entrance and recessional hymns. They rarely sing communion hymns and have told me they are busy at that time and don't want to sing. It distracts them from communion. They prefer to meditate and give thanks silently at that time.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago