Sprinkling rite question
  • Hello fellow musician forum members,

I have a question in regards to the sprinkling rite. I know the sprinkling rite takes the place of the Kyrie. I've seen some churches process at the entrance hymn and the priest stays in the back near the baptismal font. After the entrance hymn, he has people turn to the back of the church and then starts mass with the sign of the cross. He blesses the water font and then goes up the center aisle sprinkling the congregation and the choir sings the Gloria at the time. I've seen Notre Dame University Basilica follow this model as well.

Is this appropriate? I was trying to find some of this mentioned in the GIRM but couldn't find anything. Any GIRM mentionings would be great to read.

Any help would be appreciated. What do churches do where you are music director?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Process to sanctuary, sign of cross, Dominus vobiscum, bless water, bless salt, add salt to water, sprinkle people. Return to sanctuary. Sing the line from the Missal. Priest intones Gloria. Continue Mass as usual.
  • GIRM 37. Finally, among other formulas:
    a. Some constitute an independent rite or act, such as the Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest), . . .
    b. Others, on the other hand, accompany some other rite, such as the chants at the Entrance, . . .

Musicman, this happens a lot here in California, where pragmatism rules. But the GIRM makes it clear that singing the Gloria is an independent rite, during which there should be "no players in motion," so to speak. The Gloria accompanies nothing.
    Thanked by 1Ioannes Andreades
  • Yes, the previous Bishop's assistant of OC California often made it a practice to, from the sanctuary and after the sign of peace, have the Gloria start while the Bishop did the Sprinkling Rite, then into the Mass.
  • So, the $64,000 question is: do they not know what they're doing, or is there really this much confusion in the rubrics?

• DOM, depends on mood.
  • Liam
    It arises from the "introductory rites are too crowded" crowd. And appeals to the Prime Directive of American Catholic Liturgy (which, btw, antedates Vatican II by a stretch): Thou Shalt Not Cause The Holy Mass To Consume One More Minute of Time Than Is Necessary.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    Liam's reference to the "introductory rites are too crowded" excuse is certainly part of the problem. But my experience is that many priests just do not know how added rituals to the Sunday Mass are supposed to be handled. I've witnessed the entire rite of baptism of infants celebrated either before the entrance song at Mass or during the introductory rites; the rite of sprinkling plus the rite of baptism both celebrated at the same Mass (that's often an even greater mess); blessings from the Book of Blessings not done at the proper time during Mass; the same with the blessing of married couples on a major anniversary (where the solemn blessing is supposed to occur after the Lord's Prayer, as is the case with a marriage during Mass).

I hear that next Sunday (All Souls) a marriage convalidation is to take place in one parish at Mass. Great planning. (not)
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    many priests just do not know how added rituals to the Sunday Mass are is supposed to be handled

Fixed.