Favorite recordings of Catholic organs or Catholic choirs
  • PhatFlute
    What are they? Thanks,

Ph
  • PhatFlute
    No one has a favorite Choir or Organ Recording? Definitley not ! ! !

Ph
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Phil,
    Among my favorites are-
    Schola Cantorum Of St Peter's In The Loop - Sing The God Of Ultimate Justice: Music For The End Of Time. J.Michael Thompson, Conductor

In This Place, Frank La Rocca, composer; Arts Vocal Ensemble
    Thanked by 1PhatFlute
  • PhatFlute
    Thanks ! Will do look up (-:
  • Although long out of print, my favorite recording is the late Theodore Marier performing "Four Pieces", Op. 71 -- Flor Peeters. The recording was made at St. Paul Church, Cambridge, MA c. 1960. The organ is a Woodbury / Casavant organ -- 44 ranks, 52 stops. The recording was published by McLaughlin & Reilly. Dr. Marier also recorded "Incantation pour jour Saint" -- Jean Langlais (c.1958). However, the organ for the recording is the Aeolian-Skinner organ at Church of the Advent (Episcopal), Boston.
  • BruceL
    ...and the A-S at Advent is one of the landmark instruments of the 20th Century. Highly recommended!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • kevinfkevinf
    My recent favorite:
    Vierne Mass for two organs.recording at St. Sulpice. Daniel Roth and Eric Lebrun and Choeur D'Oratorio de Paris avec le Choeur Gregorien de Paris.

Sonic heaven and I love Vierne though this mass would be considered way over the top for most places owing to the resources and acoustic needs.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Heck, Kevin, Horst nailed the Vierne to the doors of the Madeline in 2011. Laid me low I was so high!
  • PhatFlute
    What of the Catholic Choirs of England and France ? Are there Cds of which to listen to ?
    Ph
  • The choir of Westminster Cathedral, London is perhaps the finest. (Not Westminster abbey - they are also very good, but are Anglican).

The recordings of the "Choir of the Carmelite Monastery, London" from the 50s/60s are my favorite. They sing "early" music in a style which is no longer in vogue, but it is amazing stuff.

Although not a liturgical choir, some of the recordings of Pro Cantione Antiqua, especially those with James O'Donnell directing, exhibit some excellent chanting.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Another good one (if it hasn't been mentioned before - too lazy to read back) is the Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge under the direction of Dr. Mary Berry (religious name, Mother Thomas More).
  • vansensei
    Kevin - there's a version for just one organ.

I heard that selfsame version with Notre Dame's (the cathedral of Paris, not the college) parish choir and that's probably my favorite recording of it. There is no CD, but you can look it up and you'll hear it being used within Mass. It's very cool.