CHEF - and your church music position
  • Somehow or other I ended up on a plane for hours and a choice of movies:

CHEF

Think of the owner of the restaurant as the priest and the chef, yourself.

Owner wants things to go as they always have. Chef wants to impress a critic.

Owner puts his foot down, critic writes review.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We desperately need a business person to sit down with us and teach us how to understand thinking of the priests, what we can do to get them to accept change and when to see the writing on the wall and leave.

Carl, any suggestions?

• Carl DCarl D
    Here's my view: If priests acted like businessmen, it would be much easier to predict their behavior. I see so much behavior that nobody would EVER commit in a business, because it would absolutely kill it.

That said, these ARE human beings in positions of control, so there's a lot of research and methodology which can be applied. For instance, a key principle of promoting ideas to those in positions of power is to be able to speak THEIR language and understand THEIR priorities. How many of us try to promote our own vision of sacred music without understanding that it's very low on the priority list for most priests? That we're dealing with something where beauty really is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder?

I believe there may be a lot to be learned by comparing this situation to elected politicians. Hang with me for a moment here.

They're both drawn to it because of altruistic motives, but then find that they're given a disproportionate amount of power which can go to one's head.

They're both very subject to pressure groups and tend to spend undue attention on squeaky wheels.

Lots more is done through influence than through actual power.

Methinks this is about brushing up on our understanding of basic human behavior.
  • In my experience, things are worse when the priest is the one who wants to change the restaurant into something new. Some priests do think like businessmen, and Carl is right about their behavior being more predictable. I feared that the only chanting priest at our church would leave one day, and sure enough he did. He left for a position as a Navy chaplain. There were many reasons for his decision to join the Navy, family history being a big one, but he told me once that he was looking forward to teaching chant, and how it would work well on a ship in the middle of the ocean with no instruments. I imagine he is having great success out there somewhere, far more than he did back here on land...In the wake of his departure, the church discontinued two Masses and gave repeated and stern announcements that "things are going to be different, we cannot get another priest because there are none, don't expect very much from us." Surely this priest knew what would happen when he left, but he had to do what was best for him and follow his calling-even if he was scared to go through with it. His voice would tremble every time the subject came up...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You all can talk about the analogous stuff. I'm about ready to buy my own burrito wagon and hit the road!
    All this "Catholic Stuff" is wearin' my soul down, lately.