Prepping for pandemic.
  • If this seems irrelevant to you, please pass on.
    At the moment it is on my mind to consider what preparations would be prudent to make to cope with a large scale pandemic including a degree more or less of loss of social cohesion, the need for extended isolation or quarantine, the possible , indeed probable widespread loss of clergy as they minister to the sick, and so on.
    With respect SPECIFICALLY to the preservation of the churches musical / liturgical tradition, in the
    face of such happenings - anyone any suggestions?
    For example - I do not, nor does any church I know of possess a copy of the Gradual - because no-one uses it, and for my own study I am happy with the great access on the internet. It is on my mind that I should buy one.
    Secondly, in the case of the need for emergency ordination of bishops, do I know what needs to be done, and how I would go about facilitating it in my local setting (like where do the retired bishops hang out, who might be less likely to be on the front lines?)
    What liturgical supplies might be in short supply?
    etc. etc.
    Don't know if anyone else has thought about this. If you think I'm nuts, don't worry, I won't take it personally.
    But I thought it might be worth thinking about, while I am putting some thought into preserving our physical lives, to put some thought into preserving our liturgy too. Actions related to saving my soul I try to keep updated on a daily basis. :-)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Canned water, canned foods, and an adult tricycle.

And no, my answer is not sarcastic.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede Ben
  • CharlesW
    I have to take precautions on a personal level every year. I am allergic to all mycin antibiotics, which means no flu shots since they contain a mycin. I limit the handshakes, have learned to not touch my face with my hands, and keep to myself as much as possible during winter. I keep elderberry extract on hand, so I am using medicines that my grandparents would have known.

With the church, there is much I have no control over. If a veritable medieval plague develops, I would expect handshakes at the sign of peace to be forbidden - that happened a few years ago during a severe flu outbreak. Communion on the tongue would disappear, I would think. I have copies of all the music I would need for an OF mass, which is the only mass form I deal with. I have a more limited collection of EF mass music.

In short, my advice would be to stock up the pantry and live like a Mormon - but pray to St. Roch.

Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This may sound like sarcasm, but it's just Python humor...
    Prepping for this or most other apocalyptic scenarios reminds me of "No ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    The preparations that matter to me are-
    *sacramental, primarily confession and Holy Communion;
    *Being available to my family, my students+families, friends and parishioners whom I could help in any way necessary;
    *Sharing an unwavering faith in the Risen Christ with my daughters and our grandchildren, no matter what;
    *Keep breathing, keep singing, then keep breathing;
    *Rebuke evil at every opportunity, especially if its staring at me from the mirror;
    *Live "amen."

Whether it's about prepping, hoarding other golden calves and coins with the latest Caesar face and inscription, conspiracies, pandemics, genocides and atrocities that are very real and imminent, or just crossing the street....the question will always remain "What do you expect to encounter when you emerge on the other side? In this world or the next."
    Thanked by 3Jani JulieColl Gavin
  • My parents have been prepping since I was a kid. First rule of prepping? Don't tell anyone you're prepping. And yes, that is deadly serious advice. If/when something happens, those who know you, and who did not prepare, will loot-and don't think for a second that your trusted neighbors or best friends won't do this. We saw this after Hurricane Sandy, so even a temporary situation like that can go sour very quickly.

All documents should be kept in a locked and fire/waterproof box. We don't have books stored (I don't think, but who knows) but I would take the same approach with those.

Prepping isn't about surviving "end times" or plagues or anything else. It's a security you provide out of love for your family, and some folks we know would consider it neglectful to not be ready for 72 hours or more without food, water, and wood for cooking and heat. As I understand it, you are thinking of a long-term event, which is fine, but it may help your organization to think short term first. Start slowly: Enough basics for 24hrs, then 48, then so on and so on until you get to the length of time every person in your home has enough food, water, medicines, and personal care stuff to survive that length of time. After all of this is in place, then you may gather up important documents and historical items for safe keeping.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • Re liturgy (avoiding personal preps for a moment; I have lots to say but this isn't the forum to say it):

Fort Worth recently instituted an Ebola protocol. The Net predictably went nuts: "Schilken is just trying to ban Communion on the tongue under the ruse of Ebola safety" Well, these rules ALSO discourage touching during the Pax, hand holding for the Lord's Prayer, and withhold the Precious Blood, so as leftist liturgical plots go, it seems confused.

In my old religion, we had a saying: "Guard the mysteries: reveal them constantly." All things being equal, in an age of chaos and devolution, the liturgy will never be as developed as it is now. So the best prep is to make things here-and-now the way we want them. However, all things might not be equal. Contagion might affect liturgically liberal parishes more than others (see factors above). Technology may fail (no electric instruments, but acoustic guitars; no pipe organs, short term). When gathering for worship becomes difficult and dangerous, only the dedicated will be doing it.

In such a context, chant is ideal. It's universal, and requires no technology. It will require printed sources, if the Net and electricity fail, and those will need to be stockpiled. Other service books should be acquired and hidden. Ideally, vestments and sacred vessels could also be stockpiled. Think like it's England 1590. If you want to build a really good priest hole, do it, but with modern technology it's a lot harder proposition to hide somebody.

And accept that things will not be what they were. We've been there, in the US. Benedict Fenwick, bishop of Boston 1833-36, estimated that in the first half of the 19th century there was "no singing at all in two thirds of the Catholic churches of America." (Wetzel, Richard D. Oh! Sing no more that gentle song. Detroit: Harmonie Park Press, 200, p. 304.) Kind of puts Liturgy Wars into perspective, eh?

Sorry if I seem like a Doomer. Do what you can, stay close to Jesus in the Sacrament, and know that the Church will survive. And if things get that bad, with the direction the world has been headed, it might not be long until The End.
  • GavinGavin
    A slightly related topic: I have a sneaking suspicion that, by the time I retire, (I'm presently in my late 20s) there will not be a field for professional church musicians anymore.

Between the shrinking of church attendance, growth of unbelief, assaults on religious liberty, economic troubles, decline in tithing and pledging, and the rise of contemporary worship idioms, I'm just not sure this model of employment will be around for another 40 years.

Anyone else out there with the same worry?
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Generationally, my young friend, I'm thankful to be near retirement or room temperature as I also think your prognosis might just be quite accurate. Remnant Church, indeed. Won't need priest holes, tho', JQ, as I think they will have all turned Francis' Motel 6 into the Burg Dubai Hotel 666 or the Hotel California! ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Gavin, the situation you describe is pretty much the situation in our country - I can think of one parish with a paid musician, one order church who invests heavily in music and has one, maybe a handful of others at cathedrals, but that's it. People get paid for funerals and weddings, but nobody makes a living at that. Nonetheless, liturgical music goes on, more hampered by the need for the liturgical renewal than the lack of cash.
    My strategy is to try to find a business model which allows me to take care of the finances with enough time left over to give most of the week to ministry - St Pauls model when he was tent-making. One distinct advantage is that you can choose your place of ministry to where you see the Holy Spirit at work, not get stuck in heart break parish simply to pay the bills. So where else are you skills saleable?
  • CharlesW
    At the age of 66 with Social Security checks and pensions in hand, I don't personally worry about the future of paid musicians so much. I think some churches that value music either as worship, or as part of their image, will always pay for better musicians. Many of the church musicians I know do as I did. They work in church music on Sunday and teach school the rest of the week. My teaching salary was always higher than the church music salary. I worked for the federal government for 25 years before entering teaching as a second or third - I have lost count - career. The point being that most can not do church music alone unless they are in one of the "prestige" church positions in town. There are few of those positions around.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Think like it's England 1590.

That doesn't seem bad to me!
  • G
    Think like it's England 1590.
    That doesn't seem bad to me!
    Four at Durham, May 27, 1590
    According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, Blessed Richard Hill was an "English Martyr, executed at Durham, 27 May, 1590. Very little is known of him and his fellow-martrys, John Hogg and Richard Holiday, except that they were Yorkshiremen who arrived at the English College at Reims, Holiday on 6 September, 1584, Hill on 15 May, 1587, and Hogg on 15 October, 1587; that all three were ordained subdeacons at Soissons, 18 March, 1859, by Monsignor Jerome Hennequin, deacons 27 May and priests 23 September at Laon by Monsignor Valentine Douglas, O.S.B.; that they with their fellow martyr Edmund Duke were sent on the English mission on the following 22 March and were arrested in the north of England soon after landing; that they were arraigned, condemned, and executed at Durham under the statute 27 Eliz c. 2. With them suffered four felons who protested that they died in the same faith.

"Divers beholders, when these martyrs were offered their pardons if they would go to church, said boldly that they would rather die themselves than any of them should relent, one saying (he had seven children) "I would to God they might all go the same way in making such confession" . . . When their heads were cut off and holden up, as the manner is, not one would say "God save the Queen" except the catch-polls themselves and a minister or two.
  • I'm 29 and weighing a switch into doing sacred music full-time (or at least half) -- but out here (west of Chicago), most of the organists are 60 or older; same with the music directors. There are certainly more places that want organists than places that have organists out here. So at least in my area, I'm not too worried -- for now. But yeah, for 40 years from now, I get what you're saying, Gavin. Guess we'll just have to do our best to take on those headwinds!
  • SalieriSalieri
    G: Would that we had the faith and courage to die as did those saintly men!
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • matthewjmatthewj
    A possibility is that musicians will become like the priests of the future - serving multiple churches and driving between them with one Mass at each. If you're in a suburban area where they've built giant church buildings you'll see 2000 people at Mass (the only Mass scheduled at that building) and perhaps carpool with your African immigrant priest to the next Mass 45 minutes away... and do this all day long.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A possibility is that musicians will become like the priests of the future.

Fixed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • When their heads were cut off and holden up,

I was afraid to start this topic in case some thought it too gruesome. Glad to note that the slide off topic went in cheerful directions. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Maureen
    In time of plague and war, it is common to cancel Mass and tell the faithful to stay home. Just like a blizzard.

Of course, priests continue to say Mass.
  • Josh
    Well, we ought pray that God will give such graces and blessings as will either prevent or ameliorate the spread of ebola - while doing all we can to do the same.

To this end (I operate in an EF milieu), sing the Litany of the Saints with the modifications used in time of pestilence (google them), followed by the celebration of the Mass "Recordare" pro vitanda mortalitatem / tempore mortalitatis, which was drawn up by Pope Clement VI in 1348 during the Black Death in Avignon, where the Popes resided at the time (half the people died).

Unfortunately, the modern Roman Missal (OF) has no Mass in time of plague - I suppose the revisers in the sixties thought that "modern man" was past all that.

In any case, the Mass Recordare has as Offertory Stetit pontifex - which is set to the same chant as the Offertory Stetit Angelus for the feast of St Michael Archangel. The Mass against plague has no Offertory verse, whereas that of St Michael does; so I have found an appropriate text and set it to the tune of the latter, so as to provide the Plague Mass with an offertory verse.

Other good suggestions include "Parce Domine" (antiphon for time of penance) and the responsory "Media vita in morte sumus".
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Josh
    P.S. 2014 - 1348 = 666
  • Josh
    And for a motet in time of pestilence, there is William Byrd's Recordare Domine - a setting, not of the Introit of the Mass Recordare (although its first part is almost the same as the Introit antiphon, except that it lacks the last phrase), but of an older Sarum Rite Responsory (not quite the same as the one in the Roman Breviary on Monday after the 2nd Sunday after Pentecost). It is set for ATTBB. Here is the link to the CPDL pdf file.

Also, there is setting of this text (I'm unsure if it is that of the Responsory or of the Introit) by Philippe Verdelot as well, which I haven't been able to access.

More generally, there are several settings of the famous Media vita, by Lassus, Gombert, Sheppard, etc. on the CPDL site.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Social Security checks and pensions in hand

Don't put them in the bank...
  • CharlesW
    I know some who are putting everything into gold. What makes them think gold will be worth anything in a collapse. You can't eat it or burn it to keep warm? You could trade it if the person with whom you want to trade thinks it worth anything. They may not.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It's more likely that cash will be worth more for the first few weeks since people can process the amounts in their mind..., until people realize the power isn't coming back on and that the pieces of paper are useless.

Canned water will be the most important trading good, but if you're known to have lots of canned water - people are coming to your house to get it. So hide it. Hide it well.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Don't trade canned water. You'll need that for yourself.
    Cigarettes will be the currency. Stockpile cigarettes.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • WendiWendi
    This is the most entertaining thread I have ever seen on this forum.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede Adam Wood
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Smoking is a wonderful thing.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Cigarettes will be the currency. Stockpile cigarettes.

Another sign of the ForeHorsemen, Adam's binge watched too much "Orange is the New Black" and "Locked Up."
  • Liam
    Instead of saving yourself, help those who have no one to help them, and who are likely to die alone.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    ^That. Amen.^
    Thinking and praying with you this coming All Souls' after losing your mother, KLS.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    I have taken all of your suggestions to heart. Therefore I will be prepping for Pandemic...I'm buying a Graduale Triplex and printing off all of the PDFs of sheet music I've downloaded.
  • Liam
    Melo

Thank you kindly, sir. Month' s mind will be on 11/9 at a local (to me) church; my parents' parish is booked into next summer, but memorial Masses have become much rarer birds in my neck of the woods, fortunately for my scheduling desiderata, because local parish calendars are pretty wide open. I just can't fly my dad up here because he's having a scheduled routine surgical procedure two days earlier.
  • Blaise
    Some general thoughts on what the Church (as such) can do in an emergency, allowing that the public health authorities have not quarantined everyone:

-Give deacons greater latitude in leading funerals (this can be done in the Roman church)
    -If this is done, or if the body needs to be buried quickly to prevent the spread of disease, a memorial Mass can be sung later.
    -Roman (Latin) presbyters (priests) should be given the faculty to chrismate on a general basis (Eastern Catholic presbyters already possess the faculty to validly chrismate, even subjects of the Latin Church.)
    -Give Eastern Catholic priests latitude in celebrating the Roman Catholic Mass, and with a miniscule amount of training, give Roman Catholic priests (at least the ones who can sing) the faculties to sing the Divine Liturgy (remember this is for emergencies only. I do not advocate regularly giving Roman priests bi-ritual faculties if they have not adequately studied Eastern theology and spirituality.)
    -Train laypeople to lead the singing of the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office) so that there can at least be some public prayer, especially in time of despair. If there are still Sacred Hosts available, there can be a communion service at the direction of the local Ordinary (but let us not abuse this so that this becomes a situation of clericalizing the laity.)
    -If worse comes to worse, every Catholic, including laity, should be trained to baptize in an emergency.
    -And I echo the remarks to sing the Liturgy of the Saints.

And just so that everyone understands, I am not a leftist liberal who is hellbent on destroying the Church or "empowering the laity". I am very conservative in politics and traditional (but not Traditionalist, SSPX-wise) in liturgical preference. While none of these measures are against Church law, I am firmly a believer in using a priest when you can get one, but if not, we can procure the services of a deacon if need be, or if not even that, a layperson.

Now, as for the OP's inquiry as to how the musical life of the Church can be preserved in such times, part of my reply is already built in: train laity and deacons to sing the Divine Office, and if there is a choir available, you can have choral vespers.

Now, as for how individuals can prepare themselves in an emergency:

-have canned foods and bottle water available in your residence.
    -additionally, have first aid supplies (not only band aids but also large bandages to cover wounds when EMS is not immediately available; OTC medications, and if you take prescribed medications, those as well).
    -fire extinguisher (and make sure smoke detector(s) is/are functional as well.)
    -supplies to care for children (baby food, diapers, etc.)
    -finally, one that gets ignored: have prayer books you can read from when you cannot get to church, and teach your children to read from them. This seems to be obvious as this is a Catholic website, but my pastor, parochial vicar, and deacons are always preaching about how people have time to do things such as watch football, etc., but they do not have time to pray.

Now, as for the specific situation the OP pointed out, the emergency ordination of bishops, becomes necessary and that there are not enough bishops in the whole world to carry out ordinations regularly, I would assume that the situation has become so bad that my first order of business is to prepare myself to see His Majesty the King through a good Holy Confession and receiving Holy Communion. I mean this seriously, as I will assume that such a situation will only occur at the end of the world.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Bottled water is no good. Too short of a self life.

Buy lots of canned water. It lasts 50 years of more.
  • Blaise
    I will admit, I have only drunk canned water once in my life, so it is easy for me to forget about this.
  • CharlesW
    Please keep the Latin priests to yourself. We have problems enough as it is. LOL. There are provisions in Eastern churches that allow for Reader's Services. Ordained clergy are not required for those, and they can be held in homes, if necessary. It is not uncommon to be in parts of the country/world with no Eastern churches available. Locally, we did that for a number of years until an Eastern mission was established. We are not as mass-fixated as Latins are, so it doesn't bother us when we have to have a service without a priest. We just don't receive communion anywhere near as often.
  • Blaise
    FIF,

This may seem like I am playing with words, but in general, I do not like the term "prepping", as it has the connotation which you said, about people (or extreme nuts) preparing for the end of the world. Instead, I use the phrase "preparing for emergencies", which is perfectly legit. That being said, everything I have mentioned above is perfectly in accord with that goal of preparing for a relatively short term emergency (between a few months to a year). If we start talking about things such as the total economic collapse of society (or for us Catholics, a parallel matter would be collapse of the Holy Church), then we would need to consider that it is quite possible that His Majesty the King has already returned to judge the quick and the dead----and that we should prepare ourselves accordingly, including the making of a good Holy Confession and the reverent reception of Holy Communion.
  • Blaise
    Charles,

I know that there are some Eastern churches (non-Catholic, mind you) who depend entirely on Reader's Services (does the Old Believers Russian Orthodox Church come to mind, anyone-some of the Old Believers are entirely priestless).
  • CharlesW
    We have priests in the Northeast, but in the days when none were in my Southern area, we only saw a priest and Divine Liturgy perhaps four times a year, at most. We Eastern Catholics had Reader's Services the rest of the time for about a ten year period. Now we have churches of two Eastern Catholic jurisdictions in our city. There are also three Orthodox jurisdictions represented in the area. If we had a pandemic or other societal collapse, we would cope with it as we always have.
  • Liam
    BOttled water has a best by date, but as with so many so-called expiration date, it's fictitious and doesn't actually go bad.