Ever been double-booked against?
  • Got hired by the office two days ago to play a funeral this morning... I go early to get organized.... Then two musicians show up saying they've been hired by the family to play. Everyone kept saying they felt bad, even though I'm the one who gets sent home empty handed. "Are you relieved" the volunteer asks. No, I'm relieved of my duties and livelihood.
    Somewhere along the line there was a nefarious miscommunication. All I could do was step back and let the family have their funeral. Once people started swarming the piano, I took my leave, let the office know I showed up, and went to gas up my car and eat breakfast.
    I'm always careful not to doublebook my self between parishes and concerts, and thankfully have never put myself in that kind of sitch.

Take care...
  • I hate to say it, but this is the 100% truth, so I'm glad that this forum is mostly anonymous:

If I were in your shoes, I'd make this a game-changing moment. I'd probably go through an all out investigation to determine where the breakdown in communication occurred. Did the office fail to understand? Did the family simply not communicate?

Once I determined the above, I would give any @$$ chewing that might be appropriate. If none is appropriate, because the family just went rogue, I would try to put in place procedures so that this doesn't happen again - the office verifying with the family, etc.

Finally, I'd insist upon being paid for showing up. By someone. The family or the parish, it's the pastor's call. But I would impress upon him that I actually lose money from somewhere else to show up (in my own personal case that is a true statement.)

Now - maybe that's not a true reality for you. If you didn't actually lose anything for showing up, I'd be inclined to let it drop this once. But if you DID? Sorry, I have a family to support and this is personal. So we have to make sure that 1) this never happens again and 2) I get paid for this time.

I say all of this hoping you understand I'm not talking about being outright nasty to anyone. But If a secretary screwed up or something of that nature - Sorry, but yeah, I'd make sure they did indeed "feel bad." If it was just an unpredictable family - well, c'est la vie.
  • What PGA said. Speaking as someone who has to work superearly and late hours (yuck) from home (OK, that part's not so bad) for my day job whenever I get the call for a funeral, I would be entirely incensed if that happened to me. I'm very fortunate that it hasn't yet.
  • Got hired by the office two days ago to play a funeral this morning...
    Start at the office - they hired you, they know who made the decision to hire you and can deal with this directly, getting you out of the job of being the "bad guy".

It may have been their own mistake, this can eliminate it happening again and you might even get paid.

All of use musicians have to work on being ass-ets to the church and not being pains in the ***. Your response to this can make you a friend or a foe with the decision makers in the parish.
  • so I'm glad that this forum is mostly anonymous:

Oh well. I was hoping that PGA might find something on which to agree.

• chonakchonak
    Just to clarify: is Continuousbass referring to the parish office, or something else (funeral home, etc.)?
  • Yeah it was the parish office... The secretary who hired me was as astonished as I was- perhaps even more. I have my sneaking suspicions that some one gave out info they weren't supposed to. We happen to be temporarily short of staff here, as our md is on leave. This leads me to believe that the presider had contact with the family and mentioned something along the lines of "the person who normally plays funerals is out." without respect to the fact that the office staff handles funeral music. That would lead to the family hiring their own people, and exonerate the staff members here. The clergy man is a sort of sub boss of the liturgy in between us and the pastor, although he is totally hands off, and in fact the pastor is tending to us musicians while the md is out.
    It was a disappointing event, the best I could do was politely let the secretary know I showed up before leaving. I am enjoying low blood pressure, so I don't intend to confront anyone else about the matter.

Our pastor instructed two of us players to expect calls for funerals while the md is out, and the other priest was copied on that. He's not that easy to work with, the type who's like a pill you have to swallow every few Sundays. Don't know anything for sure about supposed conversations, but he's my big suspect. The pastor is real cognizant of state laws barring talk of personnel matters anyway, and I sorta doubt he had any contact with the family.
  • It's like getting a date for the prom, showing up to her house, and the dad answers the door saying she just left with her other date. Leaves you feeling less than useful for a short while. Then you get over it.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • chonakchonak
    It might be good to drop the pastor a note to let him know what happened. Since he sounds like a considerate boss, he might want to head off any repeat of the mistake.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • I agree with Chonak about writing your pastor a note. He needs to know what happened so it won't happen again.

Are you usually paid through the funeral home, the family, or the church? If it's through the church, I would ask them for some kind of payment for your time. If it's the family, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • donr
    I've sung for funerals of family members in the past, so maybe the family asked some relative to play at the last minute and neglected to tell anyone. I can see that happening. "O wouldn't it be lovely if Johnny sang the Ave Maria for grandma, she used to love the way he sings". etc.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • GavinGavin
    Document everything. If you don't communicate in a reproducible format for engagements, start doing so immediately.

I learned this the hard way at a previous church where I could SWEAR the secretary told me over the phone that a funeral was at 12. Turns out it was at 10. The pastor was understanding, and neither the secretary nor I knew whom it was that made the error. But from that point on, I insisted that I be e-mailed about every engagement. Even if she told me in person, I would just reply "e-mail me that information, and I will reply via e-mail."

I recommend the same to everyone.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Even though the same "double booking" circumstance occasionally might happen, I'm convinced that the primary agency contracting for services at funerals should be the chapel and not the church. The bereaved generally have much more administrative matters handled by chapel staff. Chapel staff is, ahem, in this specific business whereas church personnel have myriad duties. Chapels can do the 1099's for music providers, etc. They can be (and in our case) are the hub of information contact and communication between family, church and musician. When we have had the occasional snafu, it inevitably was a result of church staff (including clerics) assuming decision making roles regarding music providers without consultation with the chapel and musicians.
    This doesn't help CB, but it is a possible solution that his/her priest/pastor could consider implementing.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I learned this the hard way at a previous church where I could SWEAR the secretary told me over the phone that a funeral was at 12. Turns out it was at 10.

I'm paranoid about someone telling me the wrong time whenever I have a funeral. To ease my mind, I check both the local newspaper obits and the funeral home's website, just as a double backup to make sure I have the time right. (There are only three major ones nearby, so it's not a major fishing expedition if I don't know which funeral home is handling a particular funeral.)
    Thanked by 2Gavin chonak
  • I'm sorry, CB, and agree that a conversation, probably in person,
    with the staff or pastor, is not unreasonable at all. I'd make it along the lines of, "I understand this is probably nobody's fault, and I was happy to go with the wishes of the family. My time is valuable, and so in fairness, how might I go about recovering all or part of the income lost to me?"

If certainly let the MD know. If that happened to someone who subbed for me, I'd really want to know and make some sort of reparation.

Agreed with Melo about the need to connect with the funeral home. I also connect with the family via phone or email.
    It shouldn't have to be that way, but I've had too many experiences like this.