Guia para Principiates en Canto Gregoriano Escritura - New Translation by Gabriel Martinez
  • Edited by Blanca Esteban, this new Spanish version of A Beginner's Guide to Reading Gregorian Chant has been greatly improved by the work of Gabriel Martinez.

Now available on Amazon at: Guia para Principiates en Canto Gregoriano Escritura

Download version is in the works, should be available by Monday - will post link.
  • I'm afraid the phrase "canto gregoriano escritura" seems quite wrong to me. Did a native speaker check it?
  • Yes. Translated by native, active Musica Sacra member on the US side of the ocean and edited by a native editor from Spain, now residing in Brussels.
  • ronkrisman
    I agree with @MarkThompson. However, I would say that the translation certainly is wrong, not just seems wrong. Even native speakers don't always know specialized terminology, in this case, musical terminology. Also, "escritura" refers to writing, not reading. And finally, in Spanish one cannot use a noun to modify another noun, as is often done in English and other languages. "Sunday Mass" in Spanish is not "Domingo Misa," but "Misa Dominical" ("Dominical" being the adjectival form for "Domingo").

I think a better translation would be: Guía para Principiantes (note correct spelling) sobre la Notación del Canto Gregoriano or Guía para Principiantes en Leyendo/Interpretando el Canto Gregoriano.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bjerabek
  • Thanks for yet another warm welcome by Musica Sacra commentators. Should I be frightened by the fact that this is post 666 by one of them?

Seriously,

Mark and Father, send me your email addresses and I will send you the original InDesign file of the document for you to edit and correct as needed. I will pay you exactly what I paid the faithful Catholics who did these translations...which they did for free because of their desire for something to put into the hands of Hispanic Catholics.

Once you have each worked through the book, then I will exchange copies between you so that you may revise and correct what the other did...and then, once you all agree...along with anyone else who wants a copy to go over, I will publish it.

This shouldn't take more than three or four years. Until then, this one will be available.

• ryandryand
    El Reado Gregoriano Chanto
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Kathy
    Fr Krisman is an acknowledged expert on Spanish liturgical translation. Heck, even I acknowledge him.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    As a sample of what native Spanish speakers hand out when they present a lecture on chant notation, vide:
    http://www.academia.edu/2560597/Guia_de_Canto_Gregoriano

The schola in Bogota also has some instructional material on-line:
    http://interletras.com/canticum/tecnica.html

If your translator isn't using the terms which these pages use, it would make sense to ask why.

I'm actually sort of puzzled; I thought Noel knew some Spanish.
  • I've always admired the work of the Bogota schola - thanks for posting these links!

Spanish...not enough or well enough. Though I'm "fluent" in Germany having worked in theaters in Germany coaching opera and musicals, even so, I'd never write anything public in German. I may be speaking it in meetings over the next two days, but not writing!

I'm serious, if anyone wants to take on further improving this translation, have at it, just let me know, just as the people who have worked on it with a sincere desire to provide materials to the Hispanic community. But it's got to be complete and inserted into the InDesign file.
  • chonakchonak
    Why not go to the experts and ask if anybody in the Bogota group would be available for (and interested in) reviewing/improving the current version?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Anyone have a contact person there?
  • chonakchonak
    I don't, but the web site includes some portions in English, and includes an e-mail address (canticumnovum@interletras.com), so you can write them directly.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Thanks for yet another warm welcome by Musica Sacra commentators. Should I be frightened by the fact that this is post 666 by one of them?

Welcome to the Forum! Sorry, I didn't realize you were a new user or I would have been more welcoming! All are welcome!!!

Seriously though, your title does not sound like it was written by somebody without a knowledge of Gregorian chant, it sounds like it was written by somebody who just doesn't speak Spanish (for the reasons Fr. Krisman explained). I tried to point it out, for your sake, without being pushy or didactic; whether I succeeded or failed you could have just said "Thank you, I'll check on that." No need to throw a hissy fit.

By the way, although I've translated some books from Spanish to English, I wouldn't try going the other way, so I'm going to have to leave your offer on the table.
  • Thank you for your kind words to a newbie on the list.
  • chonakchonak

No problemo! :-)

516 x 92 - 12K
  • This is now available as a free download at www.frogmusic.com.

I want to thank Gabriel Martinez and the other volunteers who have worked so hard to get something in print in Spanish to share with the Hispanic community about chant.

I've deleted my earlier post in which I was negative which resulted in CharlesW's NPM comment.
  • CharlesW

Not NPM. Not that! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH NOOOOOO. Now my mailbox will be full of junk mail from all the major music publishers.