• matthewjmatthewj
    Using Mass I during Christmas seems odd. Also just having one setting for all of Ordinary Time seems like overkill.

Also, is doing the actual Latin versions just not possible? One of my favorite parts of my current job is that we only do Ordinaries from "official books" of the Roman Rite (the Missal, and the Graduals).
    Thanked by 1Thomas_Mary
  • SalieriSalieri
    If you are only using Mass II on solemnities and feasts it will get very little 'air time'.

I'd use Mass VIII for Christmas/OT Winter, and Mass II for OT Summer. I agree with MJM that Mass I during Christmas is a little odd.
    Thanked by 1Thomas_Mary
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'd also add my voice to those saying Mass I for Christmas seems unusual. But I'd also not keep the same Mass setting from Christmas to OT Winter - because in my view, after the color of the vestments, the Mass setting is the easiest way to emphasize the changes in the Church year - particularly if your congregation has not been well catechized on this.

If you want to introduce this gradually, whatever you choose, I think the simplest way to start is a division like this with just three Mass settings:

A. Advent-Lent
    B. Christmas Time/Easter Time/Solemnities & Feasts
    C. Ordinary Time

Stick with this for at least two years, so that it comes back again. It does little good to teach a congregation about the liturgical seasons if you change the plan before they get to learn it the first year and re-experience it the second. It may be frustrating as a musician to keep it the same - but I feel the whole purpose of this is less musicial and more catechetical.

After two or three years, begin to separate out Advent/Lent; Christmas/Easter/Solemnities&Feasts; maybe adding one separation each year, thus by year four or five arriving at:

A. Advent
    B. Christmas
    C. Ordinary Time
    D. Lent
    E. Easter

Then, one can introduce a few additional Ordinary Time settings.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you want to "break up" the Post-Pentecost Ordinary Time, so you aren't singing the same setting the whole time, the natural changeover point is the beginning of choir season (assuming you take the summer off) at the beginning of September.

Also, though the period between Epiphany and Lent and the period between Pentecost and Advent are both called "Ordinary Time," they were considered separate seasons in the old calendar, and still today retain a somewhat different character (if you are looking at the lectionary as a source for seasonal "character").

If I could schedule an IDEAL series of Mass settings, then, I would have:
    Advent
    Christmas
    OT - Epiphany
    Lent
    Easter
    OT - Summer/Pentecost
    OT - Fall/Choir

The use of additional ones, such as choir heavy choral or polyphonic settings on big feast days, or a different one for Marian feasts, etc. would depend (for me) largely on the character of the community, their penchant/desire for congregational singing, the size of my choir, etc, etc....

• melofluentmelofluent
    I get the above, AW, but personally I think seven settings per year is counterproductive. I'd say three or four suffice, even in an engaged parish.

While we're on the subject, what Advent/Nativity/Epiphany settings (non Gregorian) do folks consider exemplary?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Thomas_Mary
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I get the above, AW, but personally I think seven settings per year is counterproductive. I'd say three or four suffice, even in an engaged parish.

I kinda know what you mean. And I have, in practice, doubled up:
    one for Advent and Lent
    one for Christmas and Easter
    one for Epiphany and Fall
    one for Summer
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Thomas_Mary
  • canadashcanadash
    We do what Skip and then Adam suggested above. It's been over two years and people are finally used to it. I don't plan on changing things up for a while.
    Thanked by 1Thomas_Mary
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    While we're on the subject, what Advent/Nativity/Epiphany settings (non Gregorian) do folks consider exemplary?

We use Missa Emmanuel for Advent - but I already know that many people here have disdain for it - so no need to remind me of that again.

Then we switch to one of our diocesan settings (which our parish never learned in 2011 and only began learning last year) - Mass of St. Frances Cabrini by Keil. We also use that for Easter and feast days. It's nothing special, but it's easy to pick up and is familiar enough around here for those visiting for holidays.

Speaking of which, those visiting for holidays may not be a huge concern, but might be something small to consider if you're on the fence between two settings for Christmas and Easter.
  • For the Christmas season, we use Jennifer Pascual's Resonet in laudibus acclamations. Very easy for visitors. We use Alan Hommerding's setting of the Gloria for Christmastime.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

ADVENT
    I wrote a Mass setting based on the tune Conditor Alme Siderum, entitled "Mass of St. Elizabeth." If anyone is interested I will make it available here.

CHRISTMAS
    I don't know if there is a new-translation update, but I liked using the Schubert Deutschemesse for Christmas. In Episcopal-land, it had the advantage of everyone knowing it. But moreover, I just really thought it felt CHRISTMASY in a way.

EPIPHANY
    Missa Oecumemica.
    Thanked by 1marymezzo
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, I have not done it, but I have wanted to use the Pietro Yon Mass of the Shepherds for Christmas. Perhaps over-the-top with sentimentality, but lovely and VERY CHRISTMAS.
  • In former days we used an adapted version of Andrews' Christmas Carol Mass, but now we use Mass IX. We use Mass II for Epiphany and ICEL for Epiphanytide.