Organ Recital Oddities -
  • I am preparing a recital to be played on the new organ at Holy Trinity Seminary in the Dallas suburb of Irving just two weeks from yesterday, Sunday, the 26th at 4 pm. I would love to meet any of you who live near there or happen to be in the area. Our forum member Dr Gregory Hamilton is the seminary's music director and composer in residence. The program, which includes a complete alternatim Gloria by Couperin, the Bach kyries, and a set of Trinitarian pieces by Gregory written just for the occasion, is attached below.

Now, to the oddities which came to mind this evening while I was practicing and to which some of you may make additions.

Odd stuff during recitals:
    1. Loose page blows away and floats over the gallery rail. Too late to be of any use, someone rushes back upstairs with it - fortunately, I had it memorised.

2, It never fails that at some critical moment in the most challenging piece one's nose will begin to itch. I always xerox my music in such manner that I don't need page turners (who make me nervous), but many have been the times when I could have used a nose scratcher.

3. Suddenly, the eyes begin to water so that one can hardly read the music (another reason to have it memorised).

4. Magically, one's clothes don't seem to fit right, or one becomes acutely aware of bothersome wrinkles on the shirtsleeves inside the coat sleeves.

4b. Suddenly, the shoes which seemed fine while practicing, just don't seem to fit right, causing pointless wriggling of the toes - which just makes it worse by suddenly causing an uncomfortable wrinkle in a sock.

5. While playing a rapid passage a finger jabs a piston, requiring ingenious improvisation and giving rise to unseemly thoughts.

6. Forgetting to punch the 'cancel' piston after the finale and standing up on the pedals.

7. Discovering half-way through a piece that the pages which I have so carefully xeroxed are not arranged in the order in which they should be. This causes wild eye movements untill the right page is spotted, and may require some improvisation.

8. The recital is being recorded and someone has the cheek to sneeze at some really beautiful moment.

8b. An ill-bred motorcyclist decides to treat the neighbourhood to the varieties of noise he or she can make while speeding by.

8c. A police car (or an ambulance) suddenly has need to be in 'hot pursuit' right in the middle of that excruciatingly lovely Clerambault recit or your favourite cerebral Clavier-Ubung offering.

9. (This was a nice one): The chapel tower bells just happen to ring at just the moment in the de Grigny alternatim mass at which the elevation would have taken place!

10. Some recitals, though, really leave one thrilled. When all goes miraculously well it is like being on the Mount of Transfiguration. Most fall short of that (some, far short!), but enough rise to that to make them near mystical experiences which one can never forget. Experience in and out of liturgy leaves one with the certitude that a well crafted music is like an icon written in sound: of realms invisible it offers a glimpse, while those visible it casts in light more profound.

Here is the program for my Holy Trinity recital for any who happen to be in the area -
    (You will notice that the recital's theme is the Most Holy Trinity.)

Thanked by 2CHGiffen expeditus1
  • chonakchonak
    MJO, was there going to be an attachment?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I think the program attachment finally came through. The version with notes was taking too long to materialise. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
  • Can you attach the set of pieces by Dr. Hamilton? I would be interesting in seeing them. I do not know Dr. Hamilton.
  • Alas! I do not know how to send copies of things over the internet. However, I can mail copies to you if you wish to e-mail me your address. I have some other things of his which he wrote for me, all of which are challenging and superbly composed. He would be delighted if I sent them all to you. His music is outstanding. In addition to organ music he has composed chamber music and choral music.

• kevinfkevinf
    If I might add a strange happening at a recital. Several years ago I played the Messiaen La Banquet Celeste for a program and a woman with her seeing eye dog was there. The dog became irritated at the beginning of the piece and let out some howls. The woman was embarrassed and I tried very hard to stay on task. Finally the dog let out an ear curdling howl and laid down on its side and was quiet for the rest of the piece. We never did understand why it howled. I said the dog either did not care for Messiaen or had a dislike of French music in general. After all, the dog was a German Shepard.

• CharlesW
    Jackson, I would agree Hamilton compositions are top quality music. It sounds like a great program. Can you provide a little info on the organ?
  • CharlesW
    I was giving a recital once and did not lock the loft door. A stranger wandered into the loft. He coughed, looked around, blew his nose loudly, then coughed some more at a similar high volume. He must have gotten bored so he left. I was stuck at the console in the middle of a piece and couldn't get up and deal with him. Later, I found he is the autistic brother of a prominent member of the parish and such behavior is not out of the ordinary for him. I had thought him one of the homeless who frequent the area.
  • While playing Suite Mariale of Paul de Maleingreau I turned a page only to find my 20-month old granddaughter had made Picasso-like scriblings in pencil all over the score. I could barely make out the notes and experienced a new level of panic.

Kevin, was it the mutations? My border collie actually is fond of French music, particularly Langlais, and will sing to his heart's content until I stop playing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Both have happened at a competition:

Nerves plus awkward bench position on my first piece combine to produce vicious leg cramp and useless left leg during the St. Anne Prelude. Luckily the pedal is intermittent in that piece!

My two page turners/registrants have trouble reading music all of a sudden and I have to play the Liszt Weinen Klagen while verbally coaching them through their job ("turn the page" "add the 4 foot" "take off the reed"...).

At my undergrad we had a recital "regular" - a very old man who would sit in the front row of the organ hall balcony (in plain view of most everyone there), put his feet up on the railing, and read a newspaper during recitals. Crinkling paper and all.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Charles W -

The organ was built by Ross King of Fort Worth and was finished roughly a year ago. You can get details at his website: RossKingCo.com. Holy Trinity serminary chapel has fine acoustics owing to marble floors and reflective walls.

[Hours later: I notice that I gave 'seminary' just above an odd spelling - perhaps I should have spelled it 'sermonary'.]
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    Successfully turn a page
    but not hard enough to overcome the recalcitrant staple center crease,
    purse lips and blow to keep the page at bay,
    begin mental chatter about hyper-ventilation.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Odd stuff at recitals:
    Can you say "cipher"? ... and it always seems to be on a note other than one in the major (or minor) key triad.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Memorization is definitely your friend. My first Easter-as-organist someone came up to the console at the beginning of the postlude and blinded me with a flashbulb. I was very glad I picked Calvin Hampton's Lyra Dividica, just tricky enough that I'd put in the time to get it by heart.
  • Allan DAllan D
    Once, as I was playing the recessional/postlude at the end of Advent Lessons and Carols, some random guy came up to the choir loft and stood right next to the console with a video camera, filming me as I played, and at times, zooming in on my feet. It was quite uncomfortable.
  • francis
    Allan:

At that point I would stop playing in the middle of the piece, take off one of my organ shoes and holding it up to the camera man while pointing inside, ask, "Tell me. Does this smell funny?"
  • eft94530eft94530
    The monthly First Friday Concert starts at 11:15 am.
    At 11:45 or later one of the priests usually
    enters the church side door and walks into the Sacristy
    and makes noise as he prepares for 12 nn Benediction.
    Begin mental chatter (Wizard of Oz "ignore the man behind the curtain").

On this occasion, a little earlier than usual,
    the assigned priest (cell phone in hand) this time
    enters the church side door and walks into the Nave,
    walks about six feet further to the organ console,
    and tells me he has an out-of-state family emergency
    and will not be present for Benediction and offers apologies.
    My looking in his direction and up-down-nodding was not sufficient feedback.
    I got to hear the info a second time.

I need a sign:
    "Please do not touch the organist,
    and do not engage in conversation with the organist,
    unless you are indicating your desire to complete the piece for him."
  • ryandryand
    8b. An ill-bred motorcyclist decides to treat the neighbourhood to the varieties of noise he or she can make while speeding by.

You need to put signs out by the street so that we know.

------------------------------------------
    --------------- ATTN: BIKERS ---------------
    ----------- ORGAN RECITAL AHEAD ----------
    ---- BACK OFF THROTTLE - PULL IN CLUTCH ----
    -------------------------------------------
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadT1iAu50g
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • In the words of the Internet, daf*q did I just watch?!?!

I have a fear of bees and I hate outdoor weddings where I have to battle them, and pages blowing away.
    @Charles there is an autistic young man at the church I work for who loves to stand right behind me and sing along with the hymns. I'm used to it now but it took me a while to figure out who was standing there!

Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • CharlesW
    @Charles there is an autistic young man at the church I work for who loves to stand right behind me and sing along with the hymns. I'm used to it now but it took me a while to figure out who was standing there!

I have no problem with it now, but at the time I thought it was a street person and I might be in danger. I have never had to stop in the middle of a recital and fight someone before. LOL. I was glad he left and all turned out well.
  • One of my most memorable oddities was an orchestra concert where rap music on headphones could be heard throughout the auditorium. I kept glaring in the general direction of the offender...too bad I was trapped onstage. If I was in the audience it would have been ugly lol
  • PhatFlute
    A note of pipes got out off tune. It made us all laugh "hey hey !",

Ph
  • ghmus7
    I heard my ear tickled so I thought I would chime in. Jackson has been gracious egnough (or crazy) to premiere a number of my things
    I am grateful to say the least

The Ross king organ at Holy Trinity Seminary near Dallas has 18 rks; 2 man and ped.
    Gt; 16 bourdon 8 princ 8 open fl 8 bourdon 8 viole (sw) 8 princ (sw) 8 celeste 4 gedect 4 princ. 2 octave III mix III sharff 8 tpt. Sw to gt 8, 4 trem.
    Sw; 8 princ 8 gedect 8 viol 8 celeste 4 princ. 4 boirdon 2 flute nazard 2/2/3 tierce 1/1/3
    Quint 1/3/ 8 tpt. trem.
    Ped; 16 boud 16 princ 8 ged. 8 princ 4 flute 8 viole tpt 16 tpt 8 tpr 4

The organ sounds a lot bigger than it looks due to generous voicing. Is is roughlly "american classic" with in its voicing, a nod towards baroque. Very rich and colorful. The one reed in avaliable in both manuals, and is under expression in a tightly closing swell, as well as being avaliable in a various octaves. This is very juditiously done. Stong yet rich principals (principals on both man.) Make a lovley foundation. The mutation combinations in the swell are quite fine.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ryandryand
    You need to put signs out by the street so that we know.

------------------------------------------
    --------------- ATTN: BIKERS ---------------
    ----------- ORGAN RECITAL AHEAD ----------
    ---- BACK OFF THROTTLE - PULL IN CLUTCH ----
    -------------------------------------------

Also, if you can afford one of those construction zone signs with the lighted text, you can post titles, and more importantly, keys, that you are playing in at any given moment. The lesser ill-breds can try to match pitch as they ride by.

I determined tonight at a red light that my exhaust, at idle, is a C, and the bass of the engine itself seems to be an E. I was unable to figure out the range of pitches available while in gear, but my mind was otherwise occupied with not dying.
  • CharlesW
    We are on a busy street so we get some traffic noise, generally not as bad on Sundays. A few years back the city decided to build a fire hall about two blocks away. If they get a call, we get the fire truck noise and sirens during mass. What can you do?
  • Maureen
    Pray extra prayers.... And St. Florian is the go-to firefighter saint, so maybe you need a new picture/statue. It says here that Bruckner used to live at a St. Florian's Priory, so maybe you can get some professional courtesy intercessioning.
  • CharlesW
    The good thing that has come from the fire hall, is that when I hear the sirens I mentally say a prayer for the folks the firefighters are responding to. Hope it helps. Our firefighters also respond to emergency medical calls, so it is not always a fire.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Maureen
    On the musical side, I have to say that one of my parishes was two doors down from a fire station, and really, people tuned out the noise other than to pray a little harder. It helped that the parish had a lot of schoolbuilding on the fire station side, because that damped the sound; but the loft was on the street side, so you definitely heard trucks and ambulances in the loft, but not quite so much in the pews.

After a while, it's all just a neighborhood noise.