Tollite Hostias by Saint-Saens
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Since the Communion antiphon for this coming Sunday, the 18th Sunday after Pentecost in the EF, is Tollite Hostias, I was wondering if it's kosher to sing Saint-Saens' setting (acapella) of this antiphon for our Offertory motet, even though this number is part of Saint-Saens' Christmas Oratorio. Thanks for any advice.
  • If you've seen the video of the mass at St.-Nicholas-du-Chardonnet, which is for the exact same Sunday, (and I'm sure you have, Julie!) their choir sings this piece for the Communion motet. I'd say go for it.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks a bunch, Stimson. Duc in altum!
  • CharlesW
    Do it!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Onward and upward! Jahwol, mein capitan!
  • We did this piece of music last Sunday. It's rather magnificent. If you need to extend it a little, the organ can play the first 8 measures solo as an introduction, ending on the tonic chord instead of the dominant. I rather like this piece. Not too hard to sing or play and sounds rather glorious.
  • G
    This was one of our war horses at my old parish, we used it frequently throughout the year as a postlude, taken at a very fast clip, but more sedately during Mass when appropriate.

(Save the Liturgy, sSave the World)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for the affirmation! The G.R. Communion antiphon is beautiful as well and one of my favorites. It's interesting how the theme of the propers for the 18th Sunday after Pentecost calls for rejoicing and exultation so it seems appropriate to let loose with some Alleluias.