15 Reasons Why We SHould Be Using Hymnals
  • G
    This is probably old news to most of you, but in case anyone hasn't seen it, a paean to actual hymnals, with actual bindings, from a Protestant blogger's perspective.
    I imagine we'd all agree with at least some of them, and might have a few more to add.
    http://www.theologyinworship.com/2014/07/22/reasons-why-we-should-still-be-using-hymnals/
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    I tend to agree that hymnals are better than screens or multiple handouts, any day. Maybe, folks take a hardbound hymnal more seriously than a throw-a-way.

I know some see red when this comes up, but I don't see Propers replacing hymns in the mainstream Catholic church in the U.S. That horse left the barn years ago. Some Propers, perhaps, since those of us with the "proper" mindset have reinstituted Communion and Offertory Propers. The entrance hymn, however, isn't going anywhere. For the majority of Catholic musicians, none of the hymns are going away. That has been my observation when I have visited other parishes. I believe I am the only Catholic musician in my city that uses any Propers.

If we are going to have hymnals, we should hold out for the best ones possible.
  • The only place where propers will replace hymns is in the choir loft.

Monastic communities can sing propers. Parishes cannot. They will leave too many people standing there silent. Feeling stupid or put upon.

Forget getting congregations singing propers. The Ordinary is their music. Repetition, repetition.
  • francis
    Propers belong to the choir, Ordinaries to the people. But hymns still shouldn't be needed.
  • Why not both/ and?
    Bring back incense and you've got more time to add hymns.

Propers are not the enemy of the people. Hymns are not the enemy of the sacred liturgy when chosen carefully and used to foster devotion.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you want a really great hymnal - whether your community celebrates the Ordinary Form or the Extraordinary Form - I've got one for you! The Lumen Christi Hymnal is full of treasured hymns, beautiful texts, and glorious tunes that will raise your congregations minds and hearts to God! And it is shipping now! You can have it in your congregation members' hands NOW!

Propers and hymns need not be enemies!

Even if you're doing full Gregorian propers every weekend - having a beautiful hymn to sing at the end of Mass can be a powerful method of prayer!
  • francis
    Propers are not the enemy of the people. Hymns are not the enemy of the sacred liturgy when chosen carefully and used to foster devotion.
    The problem with thinking that all should sing all is that each part of the liturgy shines best when assigned to the appropriate participant. Does eveyone sing the priests part? Of course not. Does everyone chant the reading? No. Well, the same is for the choir. They are not just the 'leading voice' of the congregation. They have a specific role to play as does the cantor. So does the organ. If the people sang all the responses (dialogues with the priest) and all the ordinary parts and perhaps a hymn when it is called for in the Missal, I think you would have a fair balance of music for the people. Of course, on high feast days, the ordinary can be sung by the choir as can the propers and the people could sing even less.

Remember: participation has nothing to do with activity, but moreso, engaging mind, heart and soul in the action that is present. Listening, meditating and thinking are no less active than singing. The TLM has done this for hundreds of years. It can't be wrong and serves as our supreme model.
  • kenstb
    I agree with MaryAnn. In my neck of the woods, most parishes have never sung the propers. In my case, it has been a slow march towards acquainting the people with them. In addition, many folks have a deep aversion to anything that seems traditional in the church. These attitudes are difficult to argue with because they aren't based upon logic or experience. They are simply emotional responses to what folks believe to have been done away with. I have found it useful to keep the hymns (with fewer verses sung) and follow up with the proper of the day. I would love to see incense used at the altar and for the gospels again. Asperges outside of the Easter season would be nice to see as well. After all, nothing is too good for God.
    Thanked by 1Mary Ann