Part-time organist/choir director - Queen of Peace, Ocala FL - revised and some thoughts
  • First, this is a part-time position, but I think the salary could be around $23,000. In addition there are another $10,000/year of funerals and weddings, at least. And Ocala is an inexpensive town. So someone could live on this income, and, pending other opportunities, augment it with other things quite well.

Second, I and my wife are "subbing" until Christmas, but we are eager to get the position filled. Here are some notes:
    - The pastor is very receptive to regaining the musical tradition of the Church. In a month
    ----we have done away with the final hymn
    ----we have eliminated the piano and all pop music
    ----we have replaced the communion hymn with the communion chant (Lumen Christi) at the choir Mass
    ----we are preparing to sing the Victoria Requiem on All Souls.
    And I think we have just touched the possibilities.

The choir is very - very - elementary and mostly retirees. With a new director I think there is potential to change that over time. There would certainly be potential for a children's choir, although that is not a part of the job description.

I direct the schola at the Sunday evening EF Mass. They are very good. With the right person, I would be ready to let him/her take that over. (I would probably want to continue to direct the chant until whoever came learned the "system" we use.) This would be a very good musical outlet. For example, we are singing the Mozart Missa Brevis in B-Flat on All Saints, the Victoria Requiem on All Souls (with the parish choir assisting), and the Palestrina Missa veni sponsa Christi at a wedding on November 8. We have sung Vespers in Advent and Lent - not recently because of personal changes in the clergy, but there is interest in reviving/continuing that. So, there are LOTS of possibilities.

The job details are below - and they are flexible. The qualifications are what is important.
    If you have any questions, please call my cell 412-913-2985

Deacon Edward Schaefer

Opening for part-time organist/choir director
    Queen of Peace Catholic Church, 6455 SW State Road 200, Ocala, FL 34476
    - Two Masses on Sunday morning (9:30am and 11:30am)
    - Saturday Mass (4:00pm)
    - Choir rehearsal Thursday evening (6:30-8:30pm)
    - Funerals and some weddings a possibility
    - Any part or combination of parts of the above

- Qualifications
    o Practicing Catholic
    o Requisite organ skills
    o Either competency in the musical patrimony of the Church or an eagerness to be mentored in the same
    o Patience of Job

- Salary negotiable
    - The church has a Randall Dyer organ installed in 1993

Please send a resume with complete contact information and a short letter of application addressing the qualifications to Deacon Edward Schaefer at QoPporter@queenofpeaceocala.com.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions