Some Additions to the Forum Guidelines
  • chonakchonak
    Occasionally I add new items to the venerable list of Forum Etiquette Guidelines, so that we can benefit from our experience using this site together. Here are two new points:

1. We're not all Americans native English speakers
      There are cross-cultural aspects to being a Forum user. 30% of visits to the web site are from outside the U.S., and even some of our U.S. users weren't born speaking English. So if someone's use of English is a little odd, try to be understanding about any strange-sounding questions.
    2. Tell the moderator about inappropriate posts
      If you think some posting on the forum is inappropriate, you're welcome to send a note to the forum admin through his profile page. When you do, he will be notified and will check out the situation the same day. Posting your own complaint doesn't cause the admin to be notified, so it's not as helpful.
  • We all promise to venerate these restrictions on our freedoms as a possibly useless but very-well-meant attempt to bring bring sanity and order to the group.
  • CharlesW
    Of course, we can't anticipate how the hyper-sensitive will react to everything under the sun, can we? ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • dad29
    Yes we can, CharlesW. We've already learned.
  • CharlesW
    Ah, life among the terminally prickly. Isn't it grand? LOL.
    Thanked by 2G expeditus1
  • chonakchonak
    dad29 seems to be alluding to the fact that I deleted some comments a few days ago, written by him and CharlesW and a couple of other users.

Really, dad29, this forum has never operated under completely anarchic principles. This is not the "4chan" message board. The famous "Guidelines" were first drafted in 2007, before most of us joined the forum.

Obviously you're aware of other people's sensitivities; otherwise you might use your full name on the board. Instead you have an anonymous username. The argument in favor of allowing anonymity, on this forum operated by a professional association, is that it allows musicians to discuss their work situations. Nobody ever proposes that we should allow anonymity in order that users may post rude messages with impunity.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Nobody ever proposes that we should allow anonymity in order that users may post rude messages with impunity.
    So that's really not rule 3?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I ran out of impunity years ago with Richard and others! He reminds me weekly ;-)
  • Nobody ever proposes that we should allow anonymity in order that users may post rude messages with impunity.

If anonymous messages posted on the internet get under someone's skin that much, that someone is not suitable for ... anything, and needs professional help.
  • I think its more about not associating the CMAA with blowhard, ethnocentric comments.
    But I could be wrong.

The new points sound reasonable to me. I've been guilty of the second one a number of times... Thanks for your patience and diligence, Richard!
    Thanked by 3chonak CHGiffen BruceL
  • chonakchonak
    Exactly.

And if losing a platform for blowhard ethnocentric comments gets under someone's skin that much . . .
  • PhatFlute
    Rule n. 48: every one gives good wishes and rewards to Phát!!

Thanked by 1Ben
  • Thank you for you ethnic sensitivities. Gosh, and begorra, and shure I didn't think me English was that bad, at all at all. ;-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Good wishes to Phat, and I am sure your English is lovely, Bonniebede. No rewards, Phat. They don't pay musicians that well in my region of the U.S. LOL.
    Thanked by 1PhatFlute
  • GavinGavin
    "1. We're not only Americans"

Yeah! What is this, the Church Music Association of AMERICA??

(Actually, the point is well-taken, though I don't see a problem with some level of America-centrism here given..... the name of the association)
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Ben
  • Point taken, Gavin. But if we were to change our name to the Church Musician Association.......
    that acronym is already (in)famous!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There are several countries with non-English speakers in places called America.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Church Music Association of All-the-places
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • chonakchonak
    Would you like it rephrased for precision? Very well: done.
  • chonakchonak
    As for the abbreviation, we are currently sharing it with the

Club Managers Association of America
    Construction Management Association of America
    Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association (of Lowell, MA)

• My pastor always tries to goad me with, "oh, so you're part of the Country Music Association?".

Harrumph.
  • PhatFlute
    My cents :
    This organization is from America but not discriminating of peoples outside americs. Right?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Church Music Angels Association
    Chant Music Advocates Anonymous
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • But every now and then someone complains that the irish ruined the catholic church in America - and now you don't want to help us recover? ;-)
    I like chant music advocates anonymous - it works on so many levels.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen kenstb
  • Can't merely argue affably.
    Thanked by 3Kathy CHGiffen mrcopper
  • CharlesW
    Chant music argumentative association.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Choral Matters And Angst
  • Cranky Men Argue Ardently
    (Sorry, gents, I couldn't resist.)

or better

Curmudgeon Musicians Agitate Audaciously
    Thanked by 3G Salieri CHGiffen
  • francis
    Catholic Musicians Alluding Apostasy
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • G
    "terminally prickly"

Love this diagnostic term, so much better than "difficult."

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We could just be like another Catholic music company/organization that dropped what its initials stand for and now just go by the letters.
  • Kentucky Fried Cmaa.
  • Kathy
    Cowbell Marching Anglican Army
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Curiously Mesmerized At Artful
    Chanting, Members Ally, Acclaiming
    "Church - Mother - Actually Asks
    Catholic Ministers Across All
    Cultures: Make Appropriate Adoration"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Charles'es Manufactoring Asinine Audacities
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Sorry to bump this one.... especially with all the interesting comments... lol.

Are the comment time stamps on the forum GMT ?

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/
  • chonakchonak
    Off-topic.
    And no.
    The ones I see here are Eastern Time.

• Thanks for the quick reply.... it must be a setting on my computer.