Spinoff thread: Objectionable, strange, or just plain awful hymns: Your picks?
  • The current discussion jogged my memory of one that falls, for me at least, into the last category. Not sure if it appears anywhere else or where it came from, but there's a hymn called "Make A Difference" in Breaking Bread. We've sung it to death at my church and I find it to be the most banal and uninspiring hymn I've ever heard. Other notorious offenders to beware of out there?
  • Sing a new Church into being

Let us break bread together on our knees

I wrote some parodies of other pieces.
  • kevinfkevinf
    There is also the hymn "Go Make A Difference." Oh, the horror....
    Thanked by 1soarmarc
  • CharlesW
    We are called...

Called to be tacky,
    Called to be dated,
    Called to sing garbage forever...
    We are called.
  • Kevin that must be the one! It just says "go make a difference/we can make a difference/go make a difference in the world" over and over with an odd rhythm the congregation cannot follow arrrrgh!
  • Literally LOL Charles oh my goodness, yep another one of my church's tacky favorites....still lololol
  • The first time I heard "Go Make a Difference" was at a youth Mass with a volunteer orchestra -- if you wanted to play, you were in, instrumental balance be darned. I'm not sure the three French horns, one trombone, and one clarinet added anything to it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Did we really need another opportunity to b*tch and moan about the same 15 terrible songs yet again?
    Thanked by 3Spriggo Gavin BruceL
  • kevinfkevinf
    Adam, its probably better than complaining about you. :)
  • CharlesW
    I haven't heard the "make a difference" song, but what are the other thirteen?
  • Kathy
    Ashes. Obviously.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Kathy
    It seems to me that the most important question raised by the "Go Make a Difference" hymn is this: Who decides what the Christian imperatives are supposed to be?

I wouldn't mind endlessly repetitive hymns if they were based on something Jesus actually said, or St. Paul, or St. John, or someone Jesus praises in the Gospels. I think a very good piece of liturgical music could be based on any one of the following, as a few examples out of zillions.

Take up your cross
    I do believe; help my unbelief
    Have among you the same attitude which is in Christ Jesus
    We shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is
    Beloved, let us love one another, for God is love

Etc etc.

The Gospel imperatives are so much less boring than "Go Make a Difference."
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I once recorded a karaoke version of Go Make a Difference for a group to use at the beginning of a social justice meeting. Now years after I've left the parish, whenever I see anything from them on YouTube or their website, that recording is ALWAYS the one used.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Gather and remember," Owen Alstott, for 1001 reasons. Worse than "Ashes" and "Anthem" combined.
  • My apologies, Adam. I didn't know what the other 14 were, just curious fun that's all.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • @Kathy: That is an excellent point! My first reaction to it was the vagueness of the text and being left wondering exactly how should I make a difference? Just being barked at to do so wasn't exactly helpful you know? But then I thought hey I can make a difference by burning every known copy of this hymn and replacing it with something valuable...perhaps it is effective after all lol!
  • CharlesW
    Ah, FidemInFidebus, you are planning to use my parish's Glory & Praise disposal method. We solemnly processed to the dumpster with all available copies.
  • Jen
    I ended up in a discussion with our DRE and school principal questioning if "Go Make A Difference" actually preached a gospel of good works, rather than the gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus told the disciples (and us) to go make DISCIPLES. Big difference.
  • canadashcanadash
    I think that "Go Make a Difference" was written for World Youth Day in Toronto. I don't think it works (or was intended) for Mass but was fine for group singing on the subways and trains. I personally do not enjoy, "Come to the Water." We simply cannot keep it together.
  • I just don't want to hear BEACH SPRING any more. To any words.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My choir says the same thing about Dies Irae.
    Thanked by 2Gavin BruceL
  • Dave
    We are called not to play Tom Conry.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Remember Your Love- ever since it was compared to the Willy Wonka song, I cannot play through the it without shuddering.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Matthew,

I used to run away from Messiah sing alongs, because I had heard (and sung) this too many times when I was young.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason to dislike the Dies Irae - or did I miss your point?

Cheers,

Chris
  • Hmm, I think you could sing the Dies Irae to Beach Spring, by repeating the last line of each stanza. Don't tell GIA.
  • ghmus7
    Our God is puttin on the ritz.
    (Life teen song. Not making this up.)
    HALLE halle
    The Summons. (WHAT does it mean?)
    We are called
    Gather us in
    Mass of Cremation

I am sad about the demise of the "moratorium on the music of Haugen and Haas" website. It really was very funny, with many folks including myself contributed very funny parodies. I recall one parody of Gather us in that was so clever- it was all on a thanksgiving theme: "gather it in, the turkey and stuffing..." I wish someone would resurrect it. I think it kind of served as a saftey valve for those of us who have to play this material.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I was responding to Andrew's point... my choir usually says things like the Dies Irae have "too many words."
  • Oh man, I had completely forgotten about "Go Make A Difference." It brings back memories of bad youth conferences. It was always a bunch of 40- and 50-somethings up in front singing those songs with hand motions, and then all the kids were just all staring at them.

Also.... "When He rolls up His sleeves He ain't just puttin' on the ritz, our God is an awesome God..."

I'm all about reaching out to kids, but seriously, no 16 year old wants to be treated like they're 5. Most of those songs are even insulting to 5 year olds.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    I was responding to Andrew's point... my choir usually says things like the Dies Irae have "too many words."

Are you implying they'd like some tasteful artwork? Maybe some illuminations? Maybe some Eric Carle-style pictures?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Probably just a shorter polyphonic motet or melismatic alleluia.
  • (Right about now, I expect either Ben Yanke or Adam Wood to post a video clip from the movie Amadeus, in which the Kappelmeister claims that Mozart's music as "too many notes".)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    Reger has too many notes. The rest are pikers in comparison. LOL.

When do you get to sing Dies Irae? We have been told it is no longer permitted in OF funerals.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    CDub, have you not heard of a funny little codicil called the "alius cantus aptus?"
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Oh, I have heard of it, but with Dies Irae I would never get away with that argument.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I have. Tee-hee!
    Wasn't even called into question. Told the celebrant it was gonna be sung at Off. No problemo.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would certainly never alius cantus aptus the Dies Irae. But singing it after the Offertory Proper? For sure.
  • I think that "Go Make a Difference" was written for World Youth Day in Toronto.

@canadash, The World Youth Day 2002 theme song was actually called "Light of the World", which I think is a far better song than "Go Make a Difference". Although, I don't think I would sing either in the subway...
  • Ah... keep it going, guys. My Grandmother went to the Lord this morning, I sure need some lighthearted fun today. Love Amadeus too... :-*)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes the Toronto World Youth Day theme still runs through my mind from time to time since most churches in our Diocese sang it non-stop for a month or more before. The old lady choirs sounded wonderful trying to sing the rhythms on those verses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7wcBOtho-M
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • Blaise
    @Adam Wood brought up the question on whether we really need to ramble on wretched hymns again, but since this thread has already been manufactured, I will take advantage of this situation as follows:

Worse than "Go Make a Difference", I think, is "Our God is an Awesome God".....and yes, I have heard this song sung for a funeral Mass.
  • Another one I've heard a few times: Here I Am by Tom Booth. The line that reads "Here I Am, waiting like a lover" makes me feel a little awkward when I hear it.
  • Spriggo
    Here's one, with lyrics by Yoda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVgjo_nktVE
    Thanked by 1matthewj
  • WendiWendi
    My five year old finds sacro-pop irritating at Mass. Some of it she thinks is "just stupid sounding mom, do I have to sing that?"

However...the chant Ave Maria, and Gaudete are her personal favorites, so perhaps she isn't typical. :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Dave
    I really don't get why y'all are so down on community-building, joyous, affirming, vibrant, upbeat music that speaks to me and my egomania.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • canadashcanadash
    @Soarmarc: Yes, that is true... but that tune was on the "Light of the World" CD, so I thought it might have been written for that? Maybe not. But I heard it on public transportation a lot. It was fun. I'm quite sure it was not sung at the Mass though. PTL.
  • rich_enough
    "Hosea" reminds me of another classic from Weston Priory, "All I Ask of You." The lyrics capture a particular moment in time I think we'd all just as soon forget (or never admit to having lived through): " . . . and for me that’s just where it is," ". . . can we sense our younger truer selves?" " . . . the fiber of our lives." "Laughter, joy and presence: the only gifts you are!"

Still trying to find some reference to God in this song after all these years.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo eft94530
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've stayed away from this thread, maybe too long. But it seems that it is so much better to "Accentuate the Positive" and "Eliminate the Negative" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUmAbi0Vm4
    Thanked by 2Ben FidemInFidebus
  • Thanks to Ben for the Amadeus clip. Now we know what is wrong with sacro-pop, faux folk stuff, etc. After all this time it is now clear, crystal clear!: too many notes!!! (Not only too many, but they're all the wrong ones in all the wrong combinations!)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • Regarding the World Youth Day theme: "God Bless Americ-" I mean, the Holy Catholic Church.

Also, you probably wouldn't get away with that around my area: not sure why but I've NEVER sung anything like that in any parish where I live and work. I guess I'm blessed in that regard. I HAVE, however sung "Our God Is An Awesome God," but that was at the local university church with a guitar-playing DM (although he was a VERY good guitar player, and wasn't just a three-chord strummer), and that was the only church at which I ever sang that song. I have done "City of God" a few times since then, but I've tended to avoid that one unless for some reason it matches the Proper for the day (same thing with OEW, but OEW actually matches some of the Propers, the antiphons at least).
  • GavinGavin
    I developed a great way to protect myself from frustration over terrible hymns: I don't play them!

I haven't gotten angry about On Eagle's Wings since 2004!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW