EF question: All Souls Day
  • OlbashOlbash
    Experts:

Is it permissible to have an All Souls Day in the EF on Sunday, Nov 2, this year, even though All Souls Day is officially moved to Monday in the EF calendar? I was just wondering if there is some option to do it as a votive Mass or something.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Olbash,

As I understand it, the reason the liturgical celebration of All Souls' was removed to Monday is that one can not celebrate a Requiem on Sunday. That would effectively rule out moving it back.

It's not the same (exactly) as having feast days of St. Joseph, St. Patrick and the Annunciation celebrated culturally on their days, but liturgically removed to the week after Quasimodo Sunday. The liturgical celebration can't be held in passiontide, if I recall, but there wouldn't be much wrong with marking St. Joseph's day with traditional food, for example.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Nope.
  • Definitely get an FSSP Ordo.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Not possible, sorry. Now we get to pray for the holy souls TWICE!
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • But as long as you have the Propers for P21, is there a problem with slanting any free motets subtly in the direction of All Souls?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Celebrate All Souls on All Souls! Which is Monday this year in the EF!

If you have a parish that uses the EF and a full time priest assigned to it (or can find one) - do all three Sung Masses of All Souls.

Or if you have side altars... And multiple priests... Simultaneous low Masses followed by Solemn High Mass.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • SalieriSalieri
    Now we get to pray for the holy souls TWICE!

Only twice? ;)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen