George Krim (1926-2014)
  • A funeral Mass will be celebrated Monday for George Krim, a fixture of Boston’s Catholic music community and dear friend of several visitors to this forum. George was organist and choir director at Holy Trinity German Catholic Church in Boston’s South End for 61 years. Before its suppression in 2008, Holy Trinity had a devoted following among those of German heritage and was the local home of the Latin Mass in the years preceding Summorum Pontificum.

George was a rock of stability and beloved by all. He ran an engraving business, reared four children, was grandfather to five and great-grandfather to two. Having been awarded the Order of Merit by the Federal Republic of Germany in 2001, it goes without saying that he personified Holy Trinity Church and its traditions.

I confess I’ve always envied George: first, for his life-long rootedness to a single parish; the length of his tenure as music director is unprecedented in my experience. Second, in spite of the contention that accompanied the closure of Holy Trinity, George maintained an even demeanor. Though he must have been injured by the loss, there was neither rancor nor indignation in his voice. The engaging smile was always there. Perhaps he realized how greatly he had been blessed and could not rightly ask for more.

For the model he set and the privilege of his friendship, I am grateful. May he now rejoice in the presence of Christ.
  • George Krim has been a neighbor of mine for 36 years; we lived less than a half mile from each other and so we had lots of opportunities to discuss happenings in the church music scene. I learned a lot from him; and, additionally, he was able to put me in contact with others to assist in some research projects with which I was involved.

George was an employee, in various capacities, of McLaughlin & Reilly of Boston in the 1950s, and it was here that Ted Marrier introduced him to his future wife.

I shall be at George's funeral Mass on Monday.....RIP.