Music Director "Rights"
  • I am a new music director, and I have a few questions about compensation and contracts. If this has been discussed, cold I be pointed in the direction of that thread?

First off, being in a position just created, funeral homes do not have a policy of paying music directors separately from musicians, so only those involved in he execution of the funeral get checks. I often cantor for funerals, so when I do, I get paid, but I think I need to be paid for the planning, too. How should I go about communicating this with funeral directors? I am not sure how to divide up the fees (e.g. say a cantor normally gets $75, but I wanted to get $100 for both music directing and cantoring; should I get $50/$50, or should it be divided $75/$25 one way or the other?)

Secondly, I do not have a contract yet. My wife and I were going to write up a proposal, but are there any resources for such a thing?

I will check at NPM, too, but I value your input as like-minded Church servants. If you know of anywhere else to look, I would be much obliged, as well.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Are you just cantoring during the Mass or are you also playing the Organ (or whatever)?

I have it arranged that the Cantor gets $75.oo, and Organist gets $100.oo.

I would think that if you are DM and cantoring you should get a higher stipend, it's the same as me, DM and organist.

I've even considered tacking on a "Drivel Fee" of $20 per song, both Cantor and Organist, for each unworthy piece of twaddle we are requested (read demanded) to perform. #notpurple.
  • In your contract specify that you are the contact person for all funerals, that you will manage the musicians who play and sing distribute the lat to them.

As DM you establish that you are responsible for contracting with the musicians.

Set a flat fee for a funeral with additional charges for special circumstances. This fee would pay you, a cantor and an organist. If you are serving as cantor, or organist or both, then you receive the entire fee. If other singers are needed, you arrange for them and they are billed for special circumstances.

If outside singers from the family or friends are requested by the family there is an additional charge for scheduling, rehearsing and such. This does not result in a reduction of the flat fee - if they choose not to use the musicians that hold time open for you and availability, the regular people are paid anyhow.

[Added: Melo's advice below is very good - be forewarned that there may be dragons ahead...so it is worth trying to get as much as you can while new before all the crazy things start happening!]

• melofluentmelofluent
    Speaking only for my own practice, as a DM (four parishes, funerals in bunches each week) we have a number of music providers. If I'm not directly involved as a leader/performer, I do not charge for consultations with bereaved, as I consider that part of my contracted and salaried duty. If I am a provider, then there's just one stipend through the funeral chapel, not the church, as we're all 1099's for income tax purposes. We also don't charge "bench fees" for outside performers, but they must be screened first.