Organ 120th Anniversary, St. Martin of Tours, Louisville
  • This is from my home parish: "Paul Weber, organist, with the choirs of St. Martin's Church. Music of Bach, Schumann, Rheinberger, Brahms, Howells, Widor.

A concert to celebrate the 1894 Farrand & Votey organ and to raise funds for its restoration.

The organ that has stood in the gallery of St. Martin of Tours Church in Louisville, Kentucky for 120 years is a rare survivor Substantially unchanged since its installation in 1894, it is one of the earliest and largest electric action instruments that still possesses its original voice in its original space. Built by one of the most respected teams of artists and craftsmen of the late 19th century, this Farrand & Votey organ is among the few remaining examples created by that company. Incorporating what was state-of-the-art technology at the time, the organ at St. Martin of Tours is an unusual example of an intact, Romantic-era organ in its original, spectacular acoustic.

To learn more about the organ and the need for restoration, check out the parish website: www.stmartinoftourschurch.org

Organ Restoration Fund
    St. Martin of Tours Church
    639 S. Shelby St.
    Louisivlle, KY 40202"

The concert will be at 7:30 PM on Friday night, 9/26. It's a wonderful organ, probably the best one in the diocese and one of the best in our region. Of course, as anyone who went to this year's Colloquium knows, Paul Mathew Weber is a tremendous musician. (I even get to the noon EF Mass extra-early so I can hear him play the postlude from the previous Mass!)

If you're interested, Dr. Weber set up a Facebook event (from which I borrowed this blurb): https://www.facebook.com/events/641648825942717/?ref=22.