You're So Vain...
  • I have come upon a number of musicians who say rehearsing is a sign of vanity, and should not be allowed as we are not supposed to be "putting on a show". Has anyone else encountered this?
    Thoughts, please.
  • BenBen
    So, instead of putting on a show, should we put on crap?
  • CharlesW
    Tell me about the skill levels of these "musicians" and what kind of formal training they have.
  • BenBen
    And yeah, that's absolutely nuts. I've encountered things like this once and a while, and every time, there's not much more you can do than simply write it off as insanity. So real musician thinks like this.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Kathy
    I agree. We should definitely simply hand out octavo editions and french horns to random members of the congregation. And then just shout "Go!"
  • Never heard of such a thing. Presumably we shouldn't prepare the rest of the liturgy either, and should let what happens happen.
  • Um, this is usually the guitar players.
    I see now.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    A plague on their houses!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Problem is, we have only one accomplished musician (or as accomplished as one can get in a small town...) and he too no longer wants rehearsals. He wants to show up on Sunday, have me plunk the sheet music in front of him (nothing new or challenging) and play.
    Oh well, what can you do? God's giving me lemons....

(Squeeeeeze... squeeeeze... squeeeeeeeeze...)
  • Provide them with some documents on the importance of music being performed well in church? Surely there is something out there that sounds serious enough to make them realize the stupidity of their current position...
  • Give him new and challenging and let him fall on his...it is especially effective if you leave the CAPO 2+ off his copy of the music.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A real vanity might look like this-You've paid $500 per for front row tickets to Sir Paul McCartney's concert. You travel great distances with further expense, and match those investments with great anticipation. Announcer brings Paul and band onstage. They sit down and don't do anything until Paul says, "Guys, whaddya wanna do tonight, Beatles, Wings, my other stuff, Chuck Berry, I dunno where to start?" and they take 45 minutes to decide on the opening song of the concert.That is the stuff of the Comedy of the Improv, which by definition is vanity because not all comics are endowed equally with wit.
    Jesus came that we might have life (not stasis) and have it to the full. Liturgy is work, by definition. Do not both those imperatives clearly imply preparation for the tasks at hand. Even if yo' daddy wills you $2.3Billion, you still don't have life to the full. You ain't a self-made man or woman. But if you have the coin, are you going to hire servants off the street and put them in charge of the details of your life. Not a chance.
    Nothing is by chance.
  • SalieriSalieri
    God's giving me lemons....

(Squeeeeeze... squeeeeze... squeeeeeeeeze...)

I'll get you some gin for those lemons.
  • canadashcanadash
    It's really too bad you can't take a field trip to experience (sight/sound) a BEAUTIFUL liturgy. Anything of worth takes education and practise.
  • This is on a par with those who gruntle that 'aw, God doesn't care about that', 'that' being whatever you might favour as opposed to what they are happy with. I always wonder how they know that God doesn't care, and I firmly believe that God cares very much whether we care! It is imperative that we care!

And, of course, our worship is a performance of what we have with great care (there's that word 'care' again) prepared to offer him because he is more than important, he is Everything to us. Ambling into God's House and playing music that is unprepared (whether one is a cantor, a guitarist or an organist or a choirmaster) is not worship at all: it is going through the motions with the least cared about effort. This is an affront to God and an affront to his people. And, did anyone ever notice the spiritual growth and the increased love of God (not to mention the magnified awareness of his own greatness and love) that comes from having performed well what one had prepared with great care for the Profoundly Sacred Event that is the mass? ... Not to mention the spiritual benefits to God's people assembled in his holy place. Did anyone ever notice that there were no rewards resulting from not caring and poorly performing what one had done that was 'only for God, not a performance'? (Except that maybe you got paid by someone who either didn't care or didn't know the difference.)
  • TCJ
    Isn't it vanity to think that one can do well without any practice?
  • ..one accomplished musician ... no longer wants rehearsals. He wants to show up on Sunday, have me plunk the sheet music in front of him (nothing new or challenging) and play.
    This suggests another side to the story. Still, if a pro is balking at putting in unpaid overtime, it would be a bit squirrelly to play the vanity card instead...
  • BenBen
    This suggests another side to the story. Still, if a pro is balking at putting in unpaid overtime, it would be a bit squirrelly to play the vanity card instead...

Based on what we know, I'm finding it unlikely that he is a pro who wants to be compensated fairly or anything like that. Something like "rehearsing is a sign of vanity, and should not be allowed as we are not supposed to be 'putting on a show' " sounds more like someone who just doesn't care, or perhaps is frustrated with the selection of music. No rehearsals gives him/her an easy out to say: "I don't want to do that, it's too hard without rehearsal."

Obviously I can't know for sure, but it's one plausible theory for why this "musician" is acting like this.

Call me a cynic.
    Thanked by 2Gavin PurpleSquirrel
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    That's the daftest thing I've ever heard, PurpleSquirrel. Those people be crazy.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Those people be crazy.
    And lazy.
    Thanked by 2Ben PurpleSquirrel
  • That's the daftest thing I've ever heard,...

That's what an interviewed Scotsman was quoted today as saying about the 'independence' of his homeland. Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At present they say the preservation of the UK is 4 points ahead. That's not much, but it will do.
    I hope that I awake in the morning with HM's UK to sing a Te Deum over!
    If anyone thinks all this is off topic, it isn't. It's all about being sharp (#), which certain people aren't.
  • donr
    I completely understand people that are so talented that they don't need to rehearse. They can sit down look at a sheet of music and play it perfectly note for note.

The problem with these people is that they don't understand that rehearsal is for everyone. Its a place where the people who aren't so talented get to hear the parts as they will be performed on Sunday. With them not being at rehearsal and then showing up on Sunday could actually have the adverse effect of throwing off other musicians who don't expect to hear what they are playing.

There is also the point that a good director will alter speed, dynamics and parts. If your not at rehearsal you will miss what is being directed and screw up the sound.
  • Donr -
    You are partially correct.
    The better one gets in relation to his or her talents the better one's 'performance' has to be... and that takes practice, studious practice
    Also... the Bach that I slaved over for two weeks or six months fifty years ago I can now sit down and perform reasonably well (though not perfectly) in relatively short order, but such will not do for the musician I have become. Which means that I need a greater challenge to go as far as my God-given talents will take me. And, allow me to correct myself: what might have been a stunning performance of some given Bach for me thirty years ago will absolutely not pass muster today. No one is ever immune from the need to rehearse. Not to develop throughout life one's talent to the utmost is, in a word, 'poor stewardship' and not a fit offering to the giver of that talent.
    I have had people say to me 'Oh, dear! If I'd known you were going to be here today I would have practiced', or 'I would have played...', or 'we would have sung' such and such. Such people just don't get it. They are not really church musicians. They haven't any idea what it's all about.
    Thanked by 3Kathy CHGiffen SkirpR
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe the guitarist is feeling the burden of being on duty every week, and would like to get out of that. If that's the motivation, maybe it would be worthwhile to change the schedule so that the guitarist plays alternate weeks, but still participates in rehearsals; and someone else takes up that accompaniment role in the other weeks.
  • kenstb
    Whoever said that he doesn't want to rehearse is clearly not a professional musician. A professional rehearses. The rehearsal is the laboratory where we polish our music. We are willing to give of ourselves in the same proportion as we love. We are liturgical musicians because we love Christ and music. Ignore that guitarist, PurpleSquirrel. He's a poser.
  • ryandryand
    Do they also think the sermons are improvised?
  • Ok, I'll do it.

You're a cynic.
  • BenBen
    No need for preparing homilies, that's vain.

Also, don't prepare the parish brunch before the people come in. Wouldn't want to be vain. The volunteers are dedicated, they can figure it out when the people come.

Also, we wouldn't want to decorate the church for Christmas. That would be vain. We can figure it out on Christmas eve.
  • I used to always think there was a bit of hubris in the congregation turning up a minute or two before the hour and just winging their part, too. But then my book fell open to this page:
    I once took pleasure someplace of seeing men, through piety, take a vow of ignorance, as of chastity, poverty, penitence. It is also castrating our disorderly appetites, to blunt that cupidity that pricks us on to the study of books, and to deprive the soul of that voluptuous complacency which tickles us with the notion of being learned. And it is accomplishing richly the vow of poverty to add to it also that of the mind... All this ability of ours is as good as vain and superfluous. Montaigne III 12

I started sight-reading communion chants and have never looked back.
  • There is a prevalent wrong sense of what the role of the church musician is.

I have sung in church choirs, or groups, where there was a quite clear and explicit desire to avoid sounding too "artistic", too "beautiful". Because it would seem to separate the "role" of the choir from "leading the people's song", and tend to introduce a hierarchy into the liturgy. Can't have that!

I'm wondering if this equalizing attitude, rather than vanity, is at the root. (Unless this attitude be vanity as well, as Montaigne's excruciatingly fine irony above suggests.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    While I don't disagree with anything anyone has said, I wonder if - from a practical and a pastoral standpoint - we've gone in the wrong direction with this conversation.

We all know (or should know) that people compliment and complain about church music in ways that don't usually correspond to the quality or problem they are addressing. (cf. Previous thread about "minor key songs.")

I would suspect that someone who is that rehearsing church music is vanity is reacting to something other than the generalized notion that one ought to rehearse church music. Perhaps there is a previous (and possibly exclusive) experience with an overly performative music director. Perhaps there have been one-too-many soprano divas with their Ave Maria arias.

If I were to encounter this attitude among people who also wanted to be in my choir, I hope I would have the self-control to respond by digging a little deeper into the statement. I might start with, "What makes you feel that way?"
  • I have sung in church choirs, or groups, where there was a quite clear and explicit desire to avoid sounding too "artistic", too "beautiful". Because it would seem to separate the "role" of the choir from "leading the people's song", and tend to introduce a hierarchy into the liturgy. Can't have that!

Really a good point, do the monks at Barroux in their daily podcasts sin through being too artistic and sounding too beautiful?
  • Problem is, we have only one accomplished musician (or as accomplished as one can get in a small town...) and he too no longer wants rehearsals. He wants to show up on Sunday, have me plunk the sheet music in front of him (nothing new or challenging) and play.

This. He doesn't want to work any more: rehearsals are work, playing new music is work, playing challenging music is WORK. This musician wants to be content in what he already knows how to do, and then just show up and do it every Sunday (and collect whatever pay the church is giving him) and then go home and have a restful remainder of the day (or possibly the week, in the case that he's retired).

I have a cantor (she's also in the choir) that is like this as well: I started handing out harder music at choir, assigned her to alto instead of soprano (since she complains that everything is too high; this also means that she doesn't sing melody, yeah she's complained about that one too), insisted that transposition be used sparingly instead of down M2 for absolutely everything with no regard to original key (same modification across the board, no exceptions), and she told me "this used to be ministry, now it's work."

Some people simply get to the point where they don't want to do it anymore, but they don't want to quit, either, so they try to make their lives easier by asking for all sorts of unnecessary accommodations, such as constant transposition, or asking that nothing new be given to them, etc.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A priest I know of once called visiting the sick of his parish "whoring".

The truth is, ministry is work. That's why its called the opus Dei, the work of God. Yeesh.
  • francis
    holy crap! ... literally.
  • ghmus7
    Jackson, that was said with magnificence.

• Liam
    I've certainly come across the fundamentalist anti-performance anti-professional mentality. I've also departed choirs when I've had the last straw of the opposite end of the spectrum, where the prayer of the liturgy has been made a servant of professional artistic needs.

That said, to indulge the idea that the music for the liturgy OUGHT not be "prepared" is to indulge someone's twisted egoism.
  • Hopefully, all of you have read the words of Archbishop Sample in his pastoral letter on sacred music. I think he addresses the issue of rehearsal quite elegantly:
    As Pope Benedict XVI has stated, “Nothing can be too beautiful for God”. Musicians should take these words to heart, because it is they who bear much of the responsibility for bringing beauty to our liturgical celebrations. Pastors should encourage musicians to aspire to the highest levels of beauty in sacred music and to embrace with joy the work which this entails. We should always aim high to offer God the best and the most beautiful music of which we are capable. Whether paid or volunteer, those responsible for sacred music in the Mass every week should be committed to prior practice and rehearsal. Every hour of worship should represent at least two hours of structured preparation at a time and place apart from the congregation.

http://www.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/14/06/15/16-28-51_0.pdf

We are indeed putting on a show... for God.
  • God bless Archbishop Sample: I've found his letters, articles, and homilies to be most enlightening and refreshing.
  • It's only for God. (My best, that is!)

How many remember the tale of Arachne?: the Greek goddess of myth who was offended when mortals did or made something perfectly without flaw. The Greeks routinely made a deliberate flaw in their embroidery or other creations so as not to offend this godess, who alone could create with perfection. Then, there was the young maiden who made a beautiful, flaw free piece of embroidery. The peeved goddess turned her into a spider, hence, 'arachnids'.

Well, our God is not like that. He is not offended with perfection (which always remains the unattainable-but-strived-for goal). He gives us talent and expects (yes expects) us to perfect it. A careful review of the parable of the talents will make this crystal clear. Does one think that he is pleased if we prepare with great diligence for events in our lives other than mass, to impress people whose impressment we covet, and yet amble into his sacred precincts and presume to offer to him and his assembled flock less than the best of our talents? What insouciant presumption! God expects of us spiritual perfection, an integral element of which is the use of our talents. This is unatainable in this life, but we are expected, with the aid of the Holy Ghost and the example of the saints, to strive for it for all we are worth - morally, intellectually, lovingly, and with our talents. The parable of the talents makes it clear that God expects a 'return' on his investment and his confidence in our stewardship. The next time some person carries on about doing something 'just for God' tell her or him that you are doing it just for God. But, be careful: we all must guard against pride, so strive for perfection and perform splendidly... but with humility and a heart thankful for what has been entrusted to you.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If I were to encounter this attitude among people who also wanted to be in my choir, I hope I would have the self-control to respond by digging a little deeper into the statement. I might start with, "What makes you feel that way?"

Well said, Adam.

I may be restating something I've already added to another conversation at some point, but from my experience in the actual trenches over the past year, I think most of us, having significant professional musical training and/or experience, are too quick to take any comments about music in church at face value.

I've learned you have to be like an auto mechanic or a medical doctor talking to your customer or patient. Some - but not many - of these clients can come in with no prior consultation and say, "I'm having a problem with my thyroid," or "I think the timing belt is shot." Most however, are limited only to describing the symptoms of the problems, in extremely subjective terms. Nevertheless it remains the job of the professional to figure out what's really happening, and do whatever can be done to address the situation.

It requires hearing beyond the actual words. A doctor wouldn't tell a chronically tired patient without any additional investigation that he merely needed to sleep more, nor would a mechanic assume that every squeak could be solved with WD-40 (even if that's what the customer believed!). Same with us. Hear the issue, and when it doesn't make sense (or even when it does), try to figure out what they're really trying to say (even if they don't know it themselves).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is it weird that before I opened this thread, I assumed it was about me?
  • chonakchonak
    "You're so vain, you probably think this song thread is about you: don't you?" -- not Carly Simon
  • The great thing about having a single cantor sing all the music is that they don't have to have rehearsal in the church. If they rehearse you'd never know it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIODLdz6vEc
  • rob
    It is a variant on the modernist heresy: a nostalgie de la boue, with a dash of magical thinking that good things will happen if one does nothing more but wish that they will.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    If they rehearse you'd never know it.
    If a person rehearses in the forest and nobody hears it, did that person actually rehearse?
  • Whoa, step back. The somewhat accomplished musician (let's call him, uh, "Gregory") is not of the same mind as the others when it comes to rehearsing. He knows the value of it. He's just tired. Really tired. I think he'll come around, with some scheduling tweaks. I was just curious how common this argument (excuse?) of vanity is.

Great points though on various aspects of this topic. And I must say, encouraging.

Now, just a splash of tonic, and... Voila!
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ah, now this discussion becomes a horse of a different color, purple, perhaps?
    There can be a profound fatigue which besets accomplished "Gregory's" when they've willingly endured supporting an array of singers (who aren't musicians in a y'all come sing situation) and less-talented/experienced/capable instrumentalists in ensembles over a significant period. So, I'm not sure it's about vanity, but about sanity. OTOH, if Gregory literally did call what he experiences as frustration/exasperation, "a vanity," he might've just misspoke in an effort to deflect himself from his real issues.
    In the sacropop world I know it is common for these groups of great disparities to literally rehearse the same songs, same ordinaries, same psalms, all congregational and known, week after week. I would want to flay the nearest warm body who says "Can we go over 'Blest be the Lord' just one more time please?"
    PSq, more information , please.
  • Why practice, why prepare?
    At the Reformation there were some among the 'reformers' who thought music a vain distraction from a sober assimilation of God's word and their preaching at their services. Some forbad music altogether, others allowed only the unaccompanied human voice, others begrudgingly permitted only metrical psalmody. These men and women didn't necessarily mind music outside of church, only within it! Martin Luther, that erstwhile monk, was of a different mind. Being a musician himself and a music lover, he famously is said to have said 'why should the devil have all the good tunes?' I think that we might paraphrase the unfortunate Luther and question 'why should the devil have all the good performances?' What does it say if our recitals, concerts, and other presentations to the public are as stunning as our talent and artistry can make them whilst we don't offer to God and his assembled flock that same level of polish?'
    Don't like that word 'performance'? Call it 'delivery', then. Whatever you call it, 'make his praise to be glorious'!