A hymnbook by any other name...
  • I'm working on my little hymnbook, A New Book of Old Hymns.

I was looking up the name, and there are so many other books with titles along similar lines, I was wondering if it would be worth changing the name. Blessed Herman Hymn Book was one I had in mind, because of the symmetry in the initials.

Would a name change affect the imprimatur?

Congregavit nos in unum was another name.

Or since I have five proof copies in transit I should just stay with A New Book of Old Hymns.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Old Hymns Anew?
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • That's a bit different. It might make a good street callers catch.

"Old Hymns Anew-oo, get your Old Hymns Anew-ooo"
  • This was the idea for the Blessed Herman Hymn Book, but it doesn't look quite as neat as I expected.
    And then there's the different ways to spell Hermann.
    There's already heaps of St Gregory and St Cecilia books.
    Blessed Herman's feast day is 25th September, and I think I could get things ready for then.
    But there must be a better name.
    Or else call it Kids Chant, to go with a domain I already have, but it's not just for kids.
  • I've always admired Blessed Notker Balbulus and his overcoming adversity and the impact he has had on the music in the church! Herman is definitely better than another Greg and Cec!
    Thanked by 2veromary CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "You know what the funny thing about Herman is?
    There's nothing funny about Herman."
    -MC, Cabaret (Revival Script)
  • Take a leaf from St. Augustine's book - call it "Beauty Ever Ancient, Ever New".
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • chonakchonak
    Can you post an index of the contents of the book? That could spur some ideas.
  • Here is the webpage - the pdf hasn't been updated yet, but it is mostly the same - main change was substituting a portrait of Pope Francis for Pope Benedict for the "Oremus pro pontifice nostro" chant.

It is ten years since the first edition, but I guess its still a new book by chant standards - and that's one of the fun things about naming things New. Where I studied there was New College which was one of the oldest colleges on campus.
    Thanked by 1andreasadi
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, there's always the need to update the "Benedicto" to "Francisco" or whoever comes next!

I like Stimson's title, but I'd shorten it to "Ever Ancient Ever New".
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    AEON - Ancient Ever, Only New
  • My vote would be for keeping the name the same. You have got an established chant book of 10 years, which is pretty respectable; don't complicate things.
    Thanked by 2veromary CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Looking forward to "A New Book Of Old Hymns, Eighth Edition" :-)
  • Veromary, if the B and H were the same width, the logo would look really nice.
    Thanked by 1canadash