Westminster Cathedral Mass Setting
  • Does anyone know what setting is used for this liturgy from 2012? http://youtu.be/h8-Iyg1eU8w?t=9m15s
  • It's the Mass of Lourdes, by Jean-Paul Lécot (see for example the Gloria, Sanctus).

Not my favorite, by the way, because of the responsorial form of the Gloria, Credo and Sanctus.
    Thanked by 1OrganistRob320
  • The Irish collection, Singing the Mass, has it, and can easily be ordered online. I've not found it published in the US, personally.
  • The Mass setting is actually not one single setting or even by one composer. All the pieces were certainly written for international celebrations at the Marian shrine in Lourdes and so much is written in Greek/Latin with some multilingual elements and with easy and memorable refrains. There are three composers: Décha, Lécot and Deiss. The Kyrie is by Paul Décha; the Gloria by Jean-Paul Lécot; there is an Alleluia but I'm not sure who wrote it; the Sanctus is by Jean-Paul Lécot; the older "Dying you destroyed our death" was by Jean-Lécot and the original text was "Jubilate Deo, cantate Domino" obviously enough not for during the Eucharistic Prayer; there is a tripartite "Per ipsum" which was popular for a while in Ireland but I'm not sure who composed the music. This video has it at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyW7gCZT8Fg

The Pater Noster was that of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and is used throughout France in French and is popular (in English) in parts of Ireland too - I'm not sure who arranged it for English - and there is also a matching setting of the acclamation "For the kingdom, the power"; the Agnus Dei (only in English) is by Lucien Deiss.

All these pieces were compiled by the Dublin diocese for one of their annual pilgrimages in the 1980s and called "Mass of Our Lady of Lourdes". Lourdes shrine has several other individual pieces which are just as "useful" and "singable" for congregations who have difficulty learning through settings or one-off congregations or multilingual congregations which are more common in Europe than I imagine is the case in North America.

The Sanctus could be improved by combining verses 2 & 3 but the refrain structure still remains, unfortunately.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • note some of the Masses in the Irish Collection 'Singing the Mass' do not reflect the given Mass texts, due to repeats etc. Also the music is copyright, so you would need a licence to use it.