Banned topics and disappearing threads
  • Is there an actual list of topics that cannot be discussed on the forum here, or is it simply decided in the moment when such a topic is broached? If there is a list, can it be posted as a "sticky" note at the top of the forum?

I notice that the thread discussing the "unfortunate e-mail" from NPM is now gone, as though it never existed, and was never begun.

I've repeatedly said that any private message board run by any non-governmental organization has the right to censor as they see fit, and that there is, of course, no constitutionally protected "free speech" here. I've also said that in my opinion it is a real shame when it happens here.

Oh, and the letter - followed by a response from NPM's national office - has now gone out to EVERY MEMBER. It is thoroughly public, and acknowledged by NPM themselves. This was NOT tantamount to posting a private correspondence; in fact, if NPM weren't a church music organization, a niche that most of the general public is not interested in, but were instead almost any other type of organization, this would be being discussed in the news, including contents of the letter being broadcast everywhere.

But I suppose that some among us feel very "high brow," virtuous, and respectable since we limit our discussions to non-hot-button, innocuous, "happy" topics.
  • Kathy
    Speaking personally, I was happy to see that the post had been removed.

The email strikes me as improper and strangely composed.
    Thanked by 1Fr. Jim Chepponis
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I didn't see the thread that was "disappeared," but on the whole, I think the environment on this forum is quite open and tolerant, and that one can receive a fair hearing on most liturgical/music subjects. For example, I was very pleased with our recent SSPX discussion, a controversial topic if there ever was one, and thought some real breakthroughs were made--- in my understanding at least.

BTW, if you want to have a lively discussion, take a look at this article from NCR, Fr. Thomas Reese's wish list for the next prefect of the CDW, and we can get some fur and feathers flying. : )
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I didn't see anything wrong with the NPM e-mail. It presented facts, not gossip, and I thought the comments to it were reasonable. NPM is a large organization - granted, facing financial problems of its own making - and it seems to have an effect on church music in this country that is way out of proportion to its real significance.

Must have been the NSA that made the original post disappear. ;-)
  • Speaking personally, I was happy to see that the post had been removed.

The email strikes me as improper and strangely composed.

It strikes me as both of those things too. Let's discuss it instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

I didn't see the thread that was "disappeared," but on the whole, I think the environment on this forum is quite open and tolerant, and that one can receive a fair hearing on most liturgical/music subjects.

You are mostly correct - until someone touches a third rail that admin believes is too dangerous.

I didn't see anything wrong with the NPM e-mail. It presented facts, not gossip, and I thought the comments to it were reasonable.

I agree with you, although I question how much of what it contained were "facts." But either way, I don't see why it can't be discussed and debated.
  • CharlesW
    So what wasn't factual?
  • Kathy
    There were rumors, speculation, hearsay, and opinions, as well as facts.
  • CharlesW
    You think this is MSNBC or something? LOL Our fact checking resources are not as good as theirs. Yes, there were opinions, but some of the events mentioned did actually happen as best I can tell. Granted, some of the pending personnel stuff wasn't verified and I would put it in the hearsay, if not rumor, category.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for asking, PGA.

I took out the post because it contained a bunch of talk about individuals who work for NPM: about their personal lives and salaries and job stability. Whether the claims turn out to be accurate or false, that's not what this forum is for.

On the other hand, it is fine to talk about matters of substance and the organization's performance, and to express disagreements, or even the occasional congratulations. :-)

So if you want to discuss the issues in the letter and the response, that's OK. Can you please leave the individuals out of it?

By the way, if anyone feels inconvenienced by having their innocent comments deleted, I saved a copy of the thread as it stood before I deleted it; If anyone would like to have their deleted text back, to re-use it in some way, please send me a private message through my profile page, and I will send back the deleted comments that belong to you. Not everything on the thread was inappropriate, and I'm sorry to inconvenience people by deleting the whole thing.

On the other hand, nobody is ever sorry for taking the high road, and I'm not today.

Apparently someone felt they needed to take drastic action to bring some transparency to that organization, and that's a good impulse. Since I'm not a member of it, I don't know whether members get routine disclosure of the organization's finances and top salaries, but if it's not done, maybe that sort of transparency would be a healthy step. Of course I'm just giving a personal opinion here.
  • JahazaJahaza
    There's no IRS-990 as NPM runs under the Church's tax exempt ruling, rather than independently as does, for instance the CMAA.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    Interesting. Is that stated publicly somewhere? Do you mean that NPM has some status as an agency of the bishops' conference? I'm not aware of that.
  • ronkrisman
    For those with access to The Official Catholic Directory (sometimes referred to as "The Kenedy Directory") [perhaps a copy is in the parish office] check the material in the front part of the book. Under "The Catholic Church in the United States" are listed, by province, all dioceses, then all Eastern Catholic Jurisdictions; then an alphabetical list of Cardinals, Archbishops, Bishops, Archabbots and Abbots of the United States; then United States Conference of Catholic Bishops; then "Related Organizations" (such as, Catholic Relief Services and the National Religious Retirement Office); then several pages of "National Organizations," such as, Apostleship of the Sea, Catholic Charities USA, The Catholic Theological Society of America, the National Association of Pastoral Musicians; finally there is a little more than a page devoted to "National Organizations with Individual IRS rulings," which includes, among other organizations, Canon Law Society of America, Catholic Library Association, National Catholic Young Adult Ministry Association, National Conference of Diocesan Vocation Directors, National Federation of Priests' Councils, Worldwide Marriage Encounter, etc. These are all entities of the Catholic Church in the United States and enjoy the IRS's tax exempt ruling(s).

The "Related Organizations" could possibly be viewed as "agencies" of the USCCB, though that terminology is not used. But "National Organizations" would not be.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks. From what is listed on-line, some of these organizations file Form 990 and some don't. Apostleship of the Sea does; so do Catholic Library Association and Worldwide Marriage Encounter. On the other hand, I don't see any filings for CTSA, CLSA, or NPM. There doesn't appear to be a consistent pattern about it.
  • Heath
    Well, now I'm curious . . . would anyone care to PM me the content of the "unfortunate e-mail", please?

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I have said the same on another post, Heath. Not being an NPM member, I haven't seen the letter. Some of the original post here on future personnel actions was rumor. If the marriage between the two individuals took place, that is public record in most states and is not rumor. It would have been a clear violation of Church teaching and losing a job in a supposed Catholic organization would be an expected outcome. As for the financial problems, I have no way of verifying that.
  • When I'm at my other job, to whose e-mail it came, on Monday I'll send it to you Heath (and anyone else who wants to read it.) There's a way to log into that e-mail from home, but I don't know how.

The e-mail has went out to thousands and thousands of people. It's very much public. And anytime someone says that something must be hidden, access removed, usually under a veil of avoiding "gossip," it makes me want to disemminate it as widely as possible. Transparency is a good thing - whether everything in the e-mail was true or not (and I doubt it is.) But the conversation is that an e-mail went out - and that allegations were made.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    If the "story" content at the heart of this "issue" is what I think it is, the forum could debate it from time immemorial 'til the cows come home and the parousia, but it will be to no avail, and certainly to no one's advantage. So, I must disagree (agreeably) PGA with your position. In no way does this extracted distraction affect either the conduct of our our individual souls or our responsibilities as servants of sacred music.
    Blessings and prayers to all during trying times.
  • CharlesW
    I don't agree, mellow Charles. NPM is the 800-pound gorilla in Catholic music and we are all affected to one degree or another by what happens with it.
  • Heath
    PGA, got it from another person, thanks. Yeah, that was ...something.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That's fine, CDub, but the gorilla in my house is the GIRM. What NPM does, aggregate or individuals, pertaining to music, management or morals, has no bearing or effect upon me and mine whatsoever.
  • Kathy
    My opinion is that the public programs of any organization influencing liturgical music not only can but should be discussed in a forum like this.

The email is not about public programs but about internal matters.
  • Whether or not the email is currently public has no bearing on whether it should be public. It is also impossible for the individuals named in the email to defend themselves without the situation getting worse than it already is. The writer is guilty of detraction at best, calumny at worst. If there are problems, or even corruption, there are better ways to handle it than in a public forum. It was uncharitable, unprofessional, and downright childish, and passing it on, whether by forum post or by email, is participation in the sinful damaging of the reputations of the individuals named therein.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Paul F. Ford
  • CharlesW
    I still think there is a distinction between rumor and public record. Some parts of that original post were true and verifiable. Others, not so. If you go and do something that leaves a trail of legal documents in its wake, it is no longer private information. When you are head of a religiously affiliated organization, your personal behavior is public rather than private, and you have no right to expect it to be otherwise. It is not scandal, calumny, or detraction to expect such individuals to be accountable for their actions.
  • Once something like this is out, and the cat is out of the bag and the ship has sailed, attempting to curtail the access of others to it accomplishes only one thing: it creates two classes, one of people "in the know," and another of people judged to not have a need to know by the elite who are "in the know."

It's out there. The damage, if any, has been done.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm more concerned about the various other individuals mentioned in the letter, people of whom most of us have probably never heard. What about them?
    Thanked by 2Gavin rich_enough
  • CharlesW
    I am concerned about those individuals, too, especially if their jobs are as vulnerable as the e-mail implies. If any of that is true, I pray for those folks since they are in a miserable place.

The President, I am not concerned about. All have the decision to quietly live a private life, or put themselves in a public position on view to everyone. If one puts himself in that public position, he can't complain about a lack of privacy - although many such do complain with no right to do so.
  • Yes and that is a valid critique - directed at the person who originally wrote the letter.

However, even so, if you really read it, most of the people named in the letter are named as victims, not perpretators.
  • CharlesW
    That's fine, CDub, but the gorilla in my house is the GIRM. What NPM does, aggregate or individuals, pertaining to music, management or morals, has no bearing or effect upon me and mine whatsoever.

Same here on GIRM, since that is what I follow. NPM has an undue influence on all the diocesan crazies and liturgy coordinators who come back from every convention and see how much havoc they can cause - probably not their intent, but that is what happens. I have reached the point where I avoid diocesan events and don't answer e-mails from some of the local musicians. I don't even want to know what they need everyone to gather and celebrate next.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think this thread should probably disappear...
  • chonakchonak
    disappear? Oh, you tease.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I concur. Those good folks without affiliation in the LitWars who monitor sites such as this and PTB anonymously could too easily decide that "our side" is more than comfortable with schadenfreude, something that is anathema to me. YMMV
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Perceptions will be as they will be. The liturgy wars are on, and I plan to rejoice in victory.

That doesn't justify collateral damage to unarmed civilians.
  • CharlesW
    Actually, PTB is anathema to me!
  • 2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury.278 He becomes guilty:

- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them;

There is no possible way that every person on that listserv had a need to know some of the information in that email. My first thought, on the very first bit of information (why a certain major player stepped down) was, "I didn't know that."

And I didn't need to know that. That is clearly detraction.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JahazaJahaza
    Sadly, that information has been printed in the Washington Post. As the Catholic Encyclopedia says,
    If a person's misdoing is public in the sense that sentence has been passed by the competent legal tribunal or that it is already notorious, for instance, in a city, then in the first case it may licitly be referred to in any place; in the second, within the limits of the town, or even elsewhere, unless in either instance the offender in the lapse of time should have entirely reformed or his delinquency been quite forgotten.
    Both exceptions apply here, since it has been recognized by the state and published widely.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Really! Preach on Jahaza. You speak the truth. I don't know any of the minor players and have never met the "major player." If the man made it to the top of a national organization, surely he had sense enough to know that anything irregular that he did would become public knowledge. It goes with the territory, large salary, perks and privileges.
  • While the email confirms to many here what they always suspected about NPM, this very thread will confirm to many what they always suspected about CMAA.
    Thanked by 2BruceL rich_enough
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I hesitate to add more, but CDub, this thread is now reduced to "talking about talking," or what I call "Elephant Talk." As Samuel says, "sadly" that is of no benefit to anyone.
    On the eve of the Exaltation of the Cross, perhaps we can discuss more worthy crosses to carry, actual crucifixes of chaos in Africa, the Middle East, the racial divide here in the USA, etc.?
    Or must we remain fixated on voyeurism?
  • Kathy
    I think this has been a useful thread, no matter what mjm says.
  • CharlesW
    Actually, I had not thought badly of NPM before this. I didn't like their approach to sacred music for many years, but they seemed of late to be getting better. For me, it is more a case of just how many professional associations can one belong to, not to mention hundreds of dollars in dues every year. There are other associations I get more out of, and those are where I send my money. As large as NPM is, I would think it will survive. Will it be damaged greatly by all of this? Who knows?

I have masses tomorrow, and plan to go to bed. The Middle East, racial divides, chaos in Africa, and voyeurism can take care of themselves.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Good night sweet Tennessee prince, we all do, and they all shall.

• There is no possible way that every person on that listserv had a need to know some of the information in that email. My first thought, on the very first bit of information (why a certain major player stepped down) was, "I didn't know that."

Actually, the situation with McMahon was discussed quite openly at the pastoral musicians breakfast at NPM this year in St. Louis. Rory Cooney, who was being honored as pastoral musician of the year, brought it up and bemoaned it.

It's MORE than "out there," as in being passed along widely. It was discussed at a major convention event publicly.

While the email confirms to many here what they always suspected about NPM, this very thread will confirm to many what they always suspected about CMAA.

As for this, speaking for myself only, I've been one of the major defenders of NPM here and will continue to be. There might be a few individuals here who take joy in what might appear to be an (overstated) "implosion" of NPM, but I'm not one of them, nor are most. We are simply discussing something that is public.

And, to just be brutally frank, CMAA people have a reputation because of things a lot bigger than a thread on this site, be it gossipy, or not. Being seen discussing this topic here should be the least of your worries.

Finally, no matter the "truth" of affairs, pretending things don't exist and stifling discussion accomplishes little, and may actually be harmful. The whole sunlight as a dissinfectant thing and all ...
  • CharlesW
    The McMahon "thing" is seemingly common knowledge, so he has no reputation left to protect.

NPM: I mentioned above why I don't want to deal with another professional association.

CMAA reputation: We have reputations? And here I have been really trying to be good. At my age a reputation is a good thing. ;-)
  • G
    But I suppose that some among us feel very "high brow," virtuous, and respectable since we limit our discussions to non-hot-button, innocuous, "happy" topics.

Oh dear, you've found us out, PGA...

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • Kathy
    I don't mind difficult discussions. At all.

I do mind the lines of public and private, fact and speculation, being blurred.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen rich_enough
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I remember I used to watch "Seinfeld" too!
  • CharlesW
    I made it through all the years without ever watching a Seinfeld episode. Now that is "high brow, virtuous, and respectable." ;-)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've had the George Costanza answering machine song stuck in my head for days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ria37d9mInY
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • Of course I clicked on the video. Love me some Seinfeld.
    Kinda perked up my day- thanks Matthew!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I want to have that be my voicemail message, but sung by MACW.

Techy people - how do we make this happen?
  • chonakchonak
    There's not really much to say about the top guy leaving his job, is there? There was a WashPost article in April with all the information. He was dismissed from his parish job; It appears that he negotiated a departure from his association job, but neither side made a statement. No one can be reasonably surprised that it happened.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW