The hymnal you've been waiting for is shipping soon... the Lumen Christi Hymnal! The FUTURE IS HERE
  • matthewjmatthewj
    http://www.illuminarepublications.com/products/lch/

If you'd like to improve the quality of hymns sung from your pews - or want information on other resources like the Lumen Christi Missal or Lumen Christi Simple Gradual - I'd love to talk to you about how to do this easily and affordably (or even free!).

Feel free to contact me here, on Facebook, or elsewhere.
  • donr
    Matthew, This is great news. I have just reviewed the contents and it looks like something I will approach my pastor with.

Do you know if accompaniments will be coming out?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The accompaniment form has not been decided yet, but should be within the next few weeks before the hymnals begin shipping.
  • donr
    Personally, I would appreciate and Organ edition and a choral edition at some point. thanks so much to Illuminare Publications for all it does
  • CharlesW
    I am interested in seeing this. I saw a note somewhere that said it has 170 hymns and thought that's not enough. Then I realized we don't sing 170 hymns out of the hundreds in our current hymnal. I hope accompaniments are traditional and not someone's attempt to be creative.
  • I’ve been thumbing through this over the past few days and will post some thoughts here later. On the whole, though, I think it’s a very fine effort that anyone looking for a permanent hymnal should consider.
  • ronkrisman
    Are two editions planned, one with 170 selections and another with 374? That seems to be what the index indicates.

Just wondering.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It's 170 hymns of "core repertoire," in addition to a complete set of chant hymns from the LotH.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Want to use Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending this Advent?

Always regretted it not being in the resources in the pews?

It could be there by Advent!
  • GavinGavin
    Want to use Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending this Advent?

Set to HELMSLEY - checks out.
    Thanked by 2Felipe Gasper BruceL
  • Putting Newman's "Firmly I Believe and Truly" to Elgar's DRAKES BROUGHTON (107) is a masterstroke!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There are many masterstrokes in this book!

It should be put in the pews of a parish near you!

Contact me for more information.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm confused, matthewj, so perhaps you could elucidate me and others. Are you a sales rep or other representative of Illuminare?

I know that Adam has made his connection clear, but I didn't (and still don't) know about your status, since your recent efforts to push for the Lumen Christi Hymnal (such as your posts in this thread) seem to suggest that you have more than a bystander's casual interest in trying to persuade people & parishes to purchase it.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, due to a recent vacancy of a position at Illuminare, I'm helping out with some sales. However, even if I were not affiliated with the company, I would still be an enthusiastic proponent of this particular product, as I have been with Illuminare Publication's products in the past (to the point that someone [Chonak!] accused me of working for Illuminare when I did not!).

The pricing to get either the Lumen Christi Missal or Simple Gradual (pew edition) and Hymnal together in the pews of one's church is outrageously wonderful and I can't help but get particularly excited about this. There is a way for every church that wants to improve music in their parish to afford this (I can help with this matter if you're reading this and are thinking "my parish can't afford anything!").

I'm the person Bartlett writes about who drove through the night after a flight-cancelation to get to his parish to play the organ for Sunday morning Mass because these products didn't exist in the past. Had these products been available as they are now (and more fully will be in the near future), I might have been able to have a nice night of sleep in Los Angeles rather than a rather wretched weekend.
  • chonakchonak
    So I was simply ahead of the curve!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know that Adam has made his connection clear

That connection is no longer.... connected.

And though I won't make a penny for saying so, now: It's still a dang fine hymnal. Check it out.

It isn't what every parish needs in a hymnal (unlike the LC Missal... which IS what every parish needs in a Missal). But it might be exactly what YOUR parish needs in a hymnal.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen melofluent
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The beautiful thing about this hymnal is that it can be used by anyone. These hymns are timeless and beautiful and the book IS. A HYMNAL. It only contains hymns! Nothing else!

If ICEL or the CDW wakes up tomorrow and says "here's a new translation of W or Y or Z" - this hymnal will always be relevant!

Now the likeliness of the above happening is not high (which is why you should also order the LC Missal!), but it's nice to know that this book will never be out of date. These hymns can always be used as the fourth option! They will always be beautiful. The texts and tunes will become the beloved collection of hymns your congregation has always wanted!
  • CharlesW
    What about accompaniments? Will that be a separate volume, choir edition, or what? Keep in mind I haven't seen the hymnal.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It only contains hymns! Nothing else!

Adam W's observation is reasoned and rational. RotR doesn't hinge upon types of repertoire, but the most beautiful of those types being chosen and sung.
    That said, one can truly hope for a mandate from on high that totally turns the barque Eastward with the restoration of the TLM (ala Kocik, Kwasniewski, Schaefer and, ahem, New Catholic), but I wouldn't recommend holding one's breath.
    One has to remember such an edict would also eliminate most of the RotR cottage industry, along with the biggies.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Salieri
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Have you ever wanted to sing Lead Kindly Light, but it wasn't in the hymnal in your pews?

That no longer needs to be a problem! And it can be done for little or no money out of your budget!

The Lumen Christi Hymnal: the FUTURE is HERE.
  • Overall I have a good impression, and actually it is very nice to not have any Mass Ordinary settings or front material to clutter up the book. I think that vernacular Ordinaries need some years of organic quality control, and I would be wary of buying a hymnal with 18 recent settings in the front.

I am a bit concerned with small numbers of verses on some hymns. From just flipping through the hymnal: Joy to the World (only 3 verses, omitting "No More let sin..."); Immaculate Mary (only 3 verses, compared to the Brian Foley 7 verses found in GIA hymnals), Alleluia Sing to Jesus (3 verses, omitting William Dix's verse 2 "Alleluia! Not as orphans...). Presumably all of Dix is public domain - why leave out verse 2? Ditto for Isaac Watts and verse 3 of Joy to the World.

After this preliminary read-through I feel that I would have to sit down and cross-reference all texts to ensure that I'm getting not just the title and tune, but the full hymn that I'm used to. This is one of my biggest beefs with OCP - including some great hymns but with only two or three verses.

Not to be Debbie Downer - it's just a bit frustrating because based on the selection of hymns I'd be happy to run out and buy this today.
  • Kathy
    We rarely get the full hymn. If you were to look at the original texts of hymns you would be amazed at the huge number of verses that many of them contain--more than any congregation could sing. Jerusalem, My Happy Home was originally a twenty-six verse hymn!

One strength of the hymnal is the recovery of some beautiful verses that have often been omitted by hymnal editors over the years. Look at the interior verses of Crown Him with Many Crowns, and you will see that the original hymn developed a rich theology of the Incarnation. These splendid meditations have been lost, until now.

• matthewjmatthewj
    This hymnal, THE HYMNAL OF THE FUTURE, will begin shipping October 1st.

Now is the time to act! Change hymnody for the better in your parish!

Have you ever wished the hymn At the Name of Jesus had more verses than the typical hymnal? Well, now you've got more of 'em!

Let's get this hymnal in your pews TODAY! ...err... well... in two weeks.
  • Assistance, please.
    When I click on the above link or google Illuminare Publications all I get is a blue blur or a blur of words. I would like to order reference copies of the hymnal and the graduale.
  • BruceL
    Forum users: ATTENTION

(How many of you were fooled into thinking this was the beginning of a @matthewj post because of the TASTEFUL and EXUBERANT use of CANUCKS...I mean CAPS!?!?!)

:-0
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Gavin Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    M. Jackson - I PM'd you and would be glad to help.

BruceL always brings the humor (and sometimes the cigars!).

But there's nothing funny about THIS HYMNAL.

It is EPIC and will CHANGE THE WORLD.

The print is so elegant that parishioners will instantly know that this is music that is to be taken seriously and prayed with reverence! The black cover will add elegance and beauty to your pew music racks!

Thanked by 2Ben JulieColl
  • Pes
    So, cost. I live in a fairly typical midwestern cathedral parish with 100 pews. To replace all our hymnals, I figure we'd need to raise about $9,500. I don't know off-hand how many income-earning households we have in parish. If we have 1,000, that's a $9.50 contribution per family. Over ten years, that's 95 cents per annum. This seems feasible, and even more within reach if the parish finds a few wealthy donors.

Are individual priests permitted to ask for such funds as a second collection, say, on the feast of St. Cecilia?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Send me a PM and let's talk. Your parish sounds like the kind of place that could get new hymnals for free. And this is definitely the hymnal you should get.
  • donr
    I ordered 2 copies today!!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Umm ... Correction necessary in the Metrical Index: Fulda Melody is 76. 76 with refrain, not 67. 67 with refrain.

In my cursory examination of hymn tunes used in the LCH, I haven't yet spotted a single tune that isn't at least 60 years old. Am I mistaken? Or was the inclusion of somewhat more recent hymns and tunes something not considered relevant to 21st century Roman Catholic hymnody?
    Thanked by 3Spriggo Salieri Gavin
  • Matthew -
    I've answered your PM.
    - Jackson
  • SalieriSalieri
    Or was the inclusion of somewhat more recent hymns and tunes something not considered relevant to 21st century Roman Catholic hymnody?

Maybe it was a copyright/royalties thing?

And with Scottish independence coming up, who wants Royalty anyway?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    My ancestors fought a war to get away from those royals. :-)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Partly copyright/royalties, maybe; however, please note:

CPDL currently has just under 150 works categorized as "Modern music" (which refers to date of composition or arrangement, not genre), "Hymns" and "not more than 5 years old" (referring to date the work first was published at CPDL). Of course, not all of these are "catholic" hymns, although many of them are; moreover, there are many of these hymns whose texts are traditional or have been previously set to much older tunes.

This does suggest, however, that there are plenty of more recent (musical) settings of hymns that are either public domain, in the Creative Commons, or otherwise available without (or with minimal) encumbrance.

It is one thing to respect and honor Catholic tradition of the past. But it is another thing to be stuck in it.

Additional note: If one removes the "not more than 5 years old" posting requirement, the number jumps to 339 results (as of today).
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Kathy
    One of the other strengths of the hymnal is its use of time-tested metrical tunes that have fallen out of use in the Catholic context. My favorite is DEO GRATIAS/ AGINCOURT,with ISTE CONFESSOR a close second.

Both are likely to be more and more necessary in future years as the LM and Sapphic Meter hymn texts of the Office become more widely sung.
  • GavinGavin
    "Lift High the Cross" is in there. I believe that was written in the past 6 decades, though I forget the exact date.

I think CHG has hit on a core but unrecognized debate in hymnal editorship: Should hymnals be prescriptive or descriptive in content? That is, should they be limited to hymns that people already know and sing, or should they try to create a new repertoire for American Catholics?

I was with a colleague from the forum last week reviewing a hymnal when he angrily grumbled about the absence of some obscure tune or another. "How could they not include this??"

I said, "because no one sings it." "Well, they should!!"

This in a hymnal of about 200 hymns.

It's not an altogether invalid approach. Stasis is no good for church music, and many of the great hymnals of the past were seeking to establish new models of church music. (English Hymnal, New St. Basil Hymnal, St. Gregory Hymnal) But I tend to think that the importance of preserving an existing repertoire trumps the recognition of great modern works.

This is of course a matter of opinion. I have mine, others have their own. Such is the nature of these kinds of debates.

It seems that Illuminare has chosen to recognize a broad extant repertoire. Briefly perusing the contents, I doubt there's anything in the hymnal that NO ONE has ever heard. And there's a lot that will be new to many people. Many would agree that there has been very little composed in the past half-century which rises to the level of true greatness - or at least which has reached recognition for such.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Having worked on this hymnal a bit with Bartlett, and discussing a number of aspects of its editorial philosophy, I would say:

This hymnal is "seeking to establish a new model of church music." Specifically, one where hymns play a less prominent role than they currently do in average parishes. This is why it came out AFTER them Missal and Simple Gradual. It provides a core repertoire of hymns, for use primarily as a supplement to singing the Propers.

It could also be set in the pews next to a more contemporary hymnal if you need all the new-fangled stuff but also want traditional hymns without all the words messed up.

If you are in an NPM-style mode of selecting a huge number of diverse songs and hymns over the course of the year to fit the lectionary and appease the boomers, this is probably not your hymnal (get something from WLP). If you are doing a traditional-minded Mass, but will likely be doing 4 hymns for the rest of forever, this is not your hymnal (get St. Michael).

If you are moving towards Propers (or, I guess, EF Low Mass with vernacular hymns) and need a core book of solid traditional hymns that Catholics have sung and loved for generations - this is your hymnal.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanked by 1TimTheEnchanter
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Lift High the Cross" is in there. I believe that was written in the past 6 decades, though I forget the exact date.

The composer of CRUCIFIED (the tune for "Lift High the Cross") was Sir Sydney Hugo Nicholson MVO (9 February 1875 – 30 May 1947), an English choir director, organist and composer, now chiefly remembered as the founder of the Royal School of Church Music (RSCM).

The tune CRUCIFER was published in 1916, so I guess it is not exactly modern.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    Wow! I didn't know that. (Of course, I had my Hymnal 1982 right next to me while writing that...)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... I tend to think that the importance of preserving an existing repertoire trumps the recognition of great modern works.

This is of course a matter of opinion.

Many would agree that there has been very little composed in the past half-century which rises to the level of true greatness - or at least which has reached recognition for such.
    Indeed, Gavin, it is a matter of opinion. But, who are these "many" who would agree, when they aren't willing to familiarize themselves enough with the past half century to be able to identify the "very little" which does, in fact, rise to a level of greatness?

It could also be set in the pews next to a more contemporary hymnal if you need all the new-fangled stuff but also want traditional hymns without all the words messed up.

If you are in an NPM-style mode...
    I think Adam has entirely missed my point, but I won't bother to elaborate on it in this thread.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think Adam has entirely missed my point

Possibly. And, to be quite honest - if I were the editor of this hymnal, it would look a lot different.

But I was just trying to communicate, as best I know it, the intentions behind the editorial choices in this hymnal. There was a specific decision to only include classic and well known hymns. There was (almost) no attempt to introduce new repertoire, as the general thinking was simply - parishes don't need MORE hymns, they need need fewer.

As I said above - this is the perfect hymnal.... for some parishes.
  • GavinGavin
    "who are these "many" who would agree"

I would say most on the forum would agree that there has not been a significant output of quality hymntunes in the past half-century. Is that a controversial statement?

"they aren't willing to familiarize themselves enough with the past half century"

I think this may be an apt generalization, to the shame of those who simply are phobic of modern music. For my own part, I have taken the time to familiarize myself as well as I can with modern tunes - by which I exclude sacropop and pseudofolk. Without going into specific composers, societies, or publishers, I can say with confidence that I have not encountered a single hymn composed in the last half-century which has made me say, "ah! This is the tune I've been waiting for! Every congregation needs to sing this tune!" I did say this on discovering ST. ANNE, for example.

Frankly, my offense at modern hymn-writing is that they fall into being either 1) boring, 2) too difficult, or 3) pretty. Category 3 is a decent one to draw from, 2 is usually not THAT bad to use if you make an effort to teach it to a congregation. Even the tunes in 1 can be an effective relief from the standard repertoire. There's a lot out there that's usable. A lot that's pretty good. But I have yet to find something that's great and has a burning need for wider distribution. Probably the best tune of the past decades would be AUTHORITY - a little difficult, but a boldly composed and interesting tune.

Still, I wouldn't mind buying a hymnal that excluded it.

All of this is of course my opinion, and is worth exactly as little as any of my other opinions. I do still assert, however, that it is a fairly widely agreed-upon opinion - and that's why we don't see a lot of modern tunes in conservative hymnal ventures.
  • Your parish sounds like the kind of place that could get new hymnals for free.

?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I can say with confidence that I have not encountered a single hymn composed in the last half-century which has made me say, "ah! This is the tune I've been waiting for! Every congregation needs to sing this tune!"

I can't speak for your standards, Gavin, but off the top of my head and via just OCP (including borrowed items)-

LAUDATE DOMINUM-Chris Walker
    THANKS BE TO GOD-Stephan Dean (I think)
    FESTIVAL CANTICLE- Hillert
    ALL GOOD GIFTS- Keil
    O GOD, YOU SEARCH ME-B.Farrell-

are all, in my estimation, as worthy as most of our core hymn repertoire. And they are hymns.
  • I second Laudate Dominum.
    There are, in fact, a goodly number of modern tunes that are good.
    One composer of them right here in Houston is the UofH's David Ashley White.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The answer to the question of "why no new hymns?" is found in the description:
    "time-tested, stable, reliable, theologically sound hymns "

Time-tested. If a hymn were written in 2008, has it been tested by time?

No.

If one wishes to use new hymns, in addition to the treasury of hymns found in the Lumen Christi Missal, one could print a worship-aid or order of worship that gives the hymn numbers and prints the additional hymn. This eliminates the need for announcing hymns and/or hymn boards that are 'too small' or 'too far away from my pew'.

Ultimately this is a hymnal that should be in every single church.
    Let's talk today about how we can get it in your church!
  • GavinGavin
    As per Charles's admonition, I must profess my adoration of EARTH AND ALL STARS. The tune, that is. Not the text.

FESTIVAL CANTICLE I can agree is a good one. Not the best, but very good. It does deserve to be sung.

Of course, not every tune is FESTIVAL CANTICLE.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't want to perpetuate our little digression away from MJM's intent, but it's a necessity to remember we all have, to some degree, some emotional attachment to certain hymns. Alice Parker speaks of that in her workshops and books IIRC. For example if I hear LAND OF REST or HOUSTON, I experience an emotional tie to my father's southern ancestry. If I hear ABBOT'S LEIGH or ST. PATRICK'S BREASTPLATE, I'm drawn naturally to its inherent Celtic ethos.
    So, Hillert's hymn, for me has that sort of Westminster/St. Paul's majesty "feel" going for it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I would say most on the forum would agree that there has not been a significant output of quality hymntunes in the past half-century. Is that a controversial statement?

Some might take exception to that statement, although it's your opinion. Just how many on the forum have seriously looked at hymn composing over the past half-century? I would guess that relatively few on this forum have. For that matter, what constitutes a "significant output of quality hymn tunes in the past half-century" anyway? 100? ... 60? ... 35? ... 20? ... 10? ... 5?

A hymnal with 200 hymns, including the 170 of the LCH, with another approximately 15-20 of traditional hymns that somehow got overlooked (as evinced by comments others are making) or provide alternate standard hymn tunes, plus perhaps another 10-15 sturdy hymns with quality new hymn tunes that respect tradition ... such a hymnal would make a much more positive statement and would be a hymnal to be reckoned with.
  • GavinGavin
    I second Laudate Dominum.

Jackson, I don't think he's referring to Parry.