Catholic High School Choirs (and Culture)
  • Pes
    Does anyone know of a very successful Catholic high school choir program, or its equivalent outside the US?

The reason I ask is that I had a conversation recently with someone at our cathedral's elementary school who is having success in building a group of students with more than casual interest in liturgical choral singing and repertoire. She is despirited, however, to find that her students enter a vacuum when they reach high school, even at the two Catholic high schools in our area. There are small choral programs there, but they appear to have little ambition or seriousness.

The matter is a little personal to me, because I have a son who is now entering high school. He is a very proficient violinist, and again, there is no serious program for strings at his Catholic high school. It seems to me that the Catholic church may be losing many of its young musicians at the stage of high school.

Does this strike anyone else as correct? Are there notable counter-examples?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I know of a Catholic high school here that just hired a music director who is going to try to build a program with sacred music. I believe he plans to do Gregorian propers and Byrd Mass for Four at their next school Mass. I might send him a message and invite him to join this conversation.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    St. Michael's Choir School in Toronto have a more than admirable program. It is all boys and auditions their students. This is the only school I'm aware of that has a formidable high school church music program in Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HijWyBjZrE
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Have you heard of American Federation Pueri Cantores? I only learned of the group recently because their inaugural Michigan High School Festival is taking place on March 20, 2015 at St. Joseph Church in Detroit. http://www.pcchoirs.org/about-us
  • I'm the choir director to whom matthewj referred...

We sing the propers and simply chanted ordinary at all of the daily Masses offered at the High School. Because the High School is Notre Dame, we end each daily mass with the Salve Regina (other Marian 'must knows' will be added later), Patroness of our school. Daily mass is well attended and is mandatory for students participating in sporting events that day. So the number of students who receive liturgical catechesis is quite high. (All football players know what propers are)

It is also written into the curriculum and syllabus for students to sing at monthly all school Masses, and perform a motet twice a semester at a daily masses of their choosing. Because we have an assigned priest on campus who is a lover of sacred music, this is all possible. Students actually look forward to this and work independently to prepare this.

At the all school Masses, propers are chanted. Eventually, polyphonic ordinary will be introduced (again because it's part of their curriculum (and grade) and we have a supportive priest and principal)

Also, the success of their interest level in sacred music has a direct relationship in how the material is presented. Simply stated, if you love it, chances are your love for the music will be absorbed by them in the teaching process.
  • Here's an outside-of-the-US choir of amazing kids 10-17 we heard nearby recently:

Pueri Cantores of Daegu, So. Korea
    http://www.pueri.or.kr/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNCLfedCqY
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Pes, In my experience it has less to do with the ambition of the teacher/school leadership, and more to do with trying to fit into state requirements. Unless you are willing to divorce your school from the conferences and the state exams (where required literature is sung for a coveted grade) and the state repertoire suggestions, you won't have much luck creating an authentically Catholic high school music program. Of course, you could substitute pretty much any subject for "music" in the above paragraph and have the central tension of "Catholic" education today.
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • Here's where a homeschool cooperative could do something extraordinary (pun intended).
  • My old Catholic high school's Mass choir wouldn't know a Graduale from a Gather Hymnal: for Mass, we always used the SAME FOUR HYMNS BY HILLSONG, accompanied by a piano. There is a good reason I was homeschooled for my last two years in high school; I could actually go to my own church for daily Mass, and not be spending my time looking down at a music sheet titled "Heart of Worship" with crippling despair.
    Too bad that both my university chapel, AND the Catholic parish less than 4 blocks away, uses exactly the same music as my old high school every single Sunday.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Frankly the lack of seriousness in choral music is part of our present anti-culture, apart from a few places in the Mid-West that pride themselves on the High School Music Competition Circuit, there is very little quality music, especially vocal. Part of this problems stems from the requirement for Band Directors with no real Vocal training or piano skills having to teach people to sing (sound familiar?) and direct/accompany a chorus. Someone who is an excellent Band-man can be an absolutely abysmal choral director, and therefore literature slips into the easy way out. Since the person in charge cannot cope with the requirements of getting a high school group proficient enough in singing to do a simple Madrigal like Farmer's 'Fair Phyllis I saw' in tune, let alone unaccompanied, the greats of Choral literature are simply impossible - better to do simple music moderately well, than difficult music badly.

Add into this sorry situation two very unfortunate aspects of contemporary culture:

1) Singing is for sissies: You will find in the average High School chorus 70 Sopranos, 150 Altos (some are sopranos who don't want to work on high notes!), 1 Tenor (who's usually a baritone with enough high notes on a good day to fake it), and 5 Basses. So you do mainly SAB arrangements of pop-songs with their demo/accompaniment CD's sent through the letter-box by JWPepper.

2) No Sacred Music - it offends people of other cultures: Let's face it, while there are many wonderful Madrigals, Partsongs and Glees, the greatest part of the treasury of choral literature are sacred works, and with the desire to be inclusive (even in 'Catholic' Schools) this part of the repertoire is gone. I feel, as a musician, that we should do good music - sacred & secular - because it is good music. Period. And anyone who is offended by a performance of an 18th Century Italian Vespers Psalm is a bigot and a philistine and obviously isn't interested in culture or in good music. Should we remove the pictures of Michelangelo or Raphael's sacred works from the Art History text-books because someone might be offended? Give Me A Lancastrian Break!

• KyleM18
    Sorry to bring back this discussion, but I am in need of information. I am currently co-president of the Choir Club at my High School (yes, it is catholic). Both me and the director wish to introduce the propers to the mass, at least from the simple gradual. However, we are met with great opposition from the Campus Ministry Team, who hate the idea of anything that is not PW, and by the choir, which, for the most part, doesn't know how to sing. What is ticking me off right now is that next week, on Wednesday, we are having an all-school Mass on the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. I had created a list of music, with the propers from Rice's Choral Missal and your standard hymns. I would even introduce a non-PW Mass Setting (GASP!) including the Gloria. However, although my ideas were approved by the music director, they got shot down by the Director of Campus Ministry, who said that "we are not celebrating the feast of the Holy Cross, we are not doing the Gloria, I am choosing the readings and music personally, because kids hate sacred music, and nobody knows about the Exaltation of the Holy Cross." I have a few questions:

1) Is it licit to replace the readings and the entire solemnity for a high school mass?
    2) What is an easy way to introduce the propers and sacred music into the mass?
    3) In your experience, do kids actually prefer PW to actual sacred music?

This and any advice you could give are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Musically yours in Christ
    Kyle M
  • Absolutely not.
    Do them before the hymn and figure out a way to cut the entrance hymn.
    They migt like both, but most people do not hate sacred music, at the very least.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • gregpgregp
    Kyle, God bless you and your zeal. The Powers That Be will do anything they want. Don't give up. At the very least you are making it know that there is a real alternative, a real standard, that can, that should be adhered to. If the PTB won't let you sing at Mass, start a garage schola. We did here, and three years later, by default, we became the schola for the new EF Community our bishop sanctioned. We are now starting our ninth year of singing every week.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Kathy
    My hs choir sings proper chants, renaissance polyphony, and SATB hymns, all a capella--except when the excellent 10th grade violinist joins in.
    Thanked by 2KyleM18 CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Is the well-intentioned Director of Campus Ministry someone other than the celebrant of the Mass? If so, the priest may want to do what is normal on that day, and observe the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, and nobody can force him to do otherwise. A Feast cannot be disregarded at whim, unlike, say, an Optional Memorial.

Anyway, the advice above is good: keep learning sacred music; and also make sure you get to know the pastors and music directors at the parishes your school serves. One of them may want to bring your group in from time to time.
  • KyleM18
    Thank you for all your responses. I'm currently training our four "cantors" to sing the Choral Missal (R. Rice) anyway, and will try to switch to "Mass in honor of St. John Paul II" (RJ Clark), at least for now. Probably will bring in a keyboard to connect to Hauptwerk. Hate to do it w/o permission, but going to try anyway.

MatthewRoth: Yeah, I'll try, but I think there's no getting around the hymn for now.

gregp: An "underground" schola is in the works. Thank you!

Kathy: Wow! How do you manage to accomplish all that? I guess you have better PTB.

chonak: No, he's just a lay person who would perfer the mass to be an evangelical concert, but oh well, what can you do.
  • Kathy
    Kyle, I've been in your situation many times, but now I do have excellent PTB.

I agree with the advice to go underground for now.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Someone needs to report him to the bishop.

No one knows about Holy Roodmas? Why, you fool, if you and others like you had done your #&%*?!! job, they would.
  • ...kids hate sacred music... and nobody has heard of...

Prime evidence of an all-too-common type (the spiritual imbecile, the unholy tyrant) who never should be in the positions in which they are - they, men and women alike, hate such and such, therefore 'everybody', 'kids', 'children', 'this congregation', etc. 'hate such and such'. No, I don't need to ask them. They just do. I know them! Nor will I allow you an opportunity to prove me wrong. The logic here is impeccable, the evidence of genius and sanctity... um, isn't it???

As has been said numerous times, the problem is not the children or the people, it's the teachers and the astonishingly mindless persons, male and female, who appoint them.

• KyleM18
    MatthewRoth: The funny thing was, the previous bishop had a set music plan, but because he wasn't "trained in liturgy", he deferred to the better judgement of the campus ministry director, because the campus ministry director MUST know better, right?
  • In your experience, do kids actually prefer PW to actual sacred music?

As with adults: some absolutely do, some don't, and some really don't care less. And many will find that what moves them will change over time as they grow older and more knowledgeable.

The Campus Ministry Director's job is to create opportunities for the students - all of them - to know and love Jesus.

For some kids (a small but dedicated minority in my experience), "classical" sacred music will contribute this. But for many, it won't - it just sounds like maudlin mumbo-jumbo to them, and dis-engages them with the event and the texts. I can understand why a CMD would not see whole-school event as not the best place to start doing things totally differently, too, without substantial preparation beforehand.

What you are working on is valuable. It will grow faith and love in Jesus in some kids - the ones who P&W probably doesn't reach. So absolutely keep doing it. But let knowledge about and desire for it grow organically rather than imposing it.
  • That’s just baloney. P&W is equally imposed. We cannot genuinely say that it will be received this, that, or the other way if we don’t actually use it. There must be solid catechsis, and as useful as that is, nothing beats the reaction of someone hearing chant or Palestrina for the first time.

The reason it is disengaging is our Low Mass culture without proper ritual. On a feast such as Holy Rood, what a wonder it would be to hear the Introit while watching the procession and the incensation. Of course it’s odd if they get this at school and not at their home parish...

Look, don’t lose your job, but just do it!
  • 1) Is it licit to replace the readings and the entire solemnity for a high school mass?
    2) What is an easy way to introduce the propers and sacred music into the mass?
    3) In your experience, do kids actually prefer PW to actual sacred music?

1. No. The Mass is the Mass. There's no such thing as a "school Mass" or "guitar Mass" despite what some may tell you, including priests.

2. I agree with what you've been told above: sing the Proper before the hymn. Communion is probably the easiest to begin with. In some cases, such as the Offertory, you can omit the hymn altogether, especially if you are singing the NO, because you can use Simple English Propers and sing the verses from it while the altar is being prepared. Also, at any time, you may add psalm verses to the antiphon, and use the corresponding Gregorian psalm tone to sing it. Perhaps someone else here can help you decide how to choose the psalm verses: my only knowledge of it is if the antiphon is scriptural or from a psalm already, you can use the rest of that Scripture or psalm as verses.

3. No, not in my experience. You wouldn't believe the amount of compliments I get from people, including older lay Catholics who just happen to be there (from the hippie generation who generally promotes the PW stuff because it's "what young people want"), when we sing Gregorian chant. I've never had anyone come up and say they liked my rendition of "On Eagle's Wings" (not PW, I know, but the parallel is there). If you're committed to doing true Sacred Music correctly, and make an effort to do it well, you will move hearts and minds more than any popular PW song ever could.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Re: the reaction of college-age kids to P&W, for whatever it's worth, my 20 y/o daughter has been researching a well-known Catholic college in the midwest and was about to apply for admission, until she checked out the campus ministry page and watched some of the liturgies which heavily feature P&W, and that was it. She couldn't get away from it fast enough.

I knew beforehand that liturgical pop music was this university's signature trademark but refrained from saying a word since I didn't want to influence my daughter in any way. I just asked her if she had applied yet, and she said, "No way. I can't stand their liturgies, and I'd be miserable since that's the only Mass I could go to since it's out in the middle of nowhere."

Granted, my daughter has been singing chant and polyphony in choirs for several years and was home educated, but she loves all kinds of music and isn't fond at all of renaissance or classical music. When I have classical CD's or WQXR on in the car, she can't wait to take it out and put on someone like Michael Buble, Frank Sinatra or Brad Paisley, but she HATES folk/pop music at Mass, and my college-age boys who play in a 70's-style rock band roll their eyes and look embarrassed and hate it, too, and make fun of it all the way home in the car--- and I can assure you that I try to be as moderate and non-judgmental as possible in that area, since I firmly believe the quickest way to immunize your kids against your opinions and preferences is to force them upon them. I try to lead by example and dialogue whenever I can and not by lectures. : )
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Kathy
    I wonder if there might be a sacred music niche at that school where she would feel at home, though...
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    We'll keep looking. Thanks for the idea, Kathy.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • nothing beats the reaction of someone hearing chant or Palestrina for the first time.

.... what a wonder it would be to hear the Introit while watching the procession and the incensation.

Unfortunately not everyone has the same reaction. Some people react "Wow, that sounds fantastic, praise God.". Others say "Cultic mumbo-jumbo. Have you guys ever heard of Jesus?"

Seriously. Not everyone has your sensibilities. People in broad-ranging ministry positions need to cater for a very wide church.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Others say "Cultic mumbo-jumbo. Have you guys ever heard of Jesus?"

So what? Let them say it. The Catholic Church, which has proclaimed the Gospel of Jesus for 2000 years has used Gregorian chant and Sacred Polyphony for centuries.

People in broad-ranging ministry positions need to cater for a very wide church.

This is relativism.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Kathy
    I don't think people react so differently.

I took a group of young singers to a diocesan youth rally, which is an all day affair featuring catechesis, team-building exercises, praise and worship, adoration, pizza, vocational talks, and inflatables. At the start of the Mass there was that buzz of noise that happens when a crowd of people is waiting.

We busted out with the Veni Creator--and the silence was astounding. It wasn't scattered silence, but a full-on total listening, from an auditorium full of teens.
  • I took a group of young singers to a diocesan youth rally

At least it wasn't World Youth Day?

featuring catechesis, team-building exercises, praise and worship, adoration, pizza, vocational talks, and inflatables

I think you mean to indicate that it was suited to nobody, but aimed at everyone at once?
    I'm afraid to ask, though, 1) who gave the vocational talks, and 2) inflatable what, exactly?

We busted out with the Veni Creator--and the silence was astounding. It wasn't scattered silence, but a full-on total listening, from an auditorium full of teens.

I'm not surprised that the teens were listening, since it was an auditorium full of them. Were there many "Youth Ministry Facilitators" to spoil the silence, and decry that the Veni Creator wasn't appropriate for a Youth Mass?
  • SalieriSalieri
    my 20 y/o daughter has been researching a well-known Catholic college in the midwest and was about to apply for admission, until she checked out the campus ministry page and watched some of the liturgies which heavily feature P&W, and that was it. She couldn't get away from it fast enough.

Somehow, I don't think this was the college in question!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Salieri, Julie,

I have been led to believe that Steubenville had left at least a portion of its silliness behind. In fact, if one knows which rock to look under, it's possible to find a traditional Mass

Jackson, Salieri, Julie

Wyoming isn't really the Midwest, you know.
  • Midwest???
    So???
    In this world one travels where one must to find any sign of civilisation.
    And to avoid intellectual and spiritual poison.
  • Jackson,

well-known Catholic college in the midwest

Of course, from your perspective, anything north of Tulsa is the Arctic Tundra.....
  • Chris -
    About ...'college in the midwest'.
    I'll stand by 'In this world one travels where one must to find any sign of civilisation', especially institutions of higher learning which actually inculcate higher learning and cultural heritage.

And, about the Arctic Tundra, I'll take it or anywhere where it snows 'snow on snow', providing there is chamber music, early music societies, organs, Walsingham, fine choirs, symphony, opera, ballet, museums, mountains and forests, and .... Actually, I feel happiest the farther east and north I get, There is a certain existential delight, an exhilarating joy, in being in Canada and knowing that 'south of the border' means Maine and Vermont! It is a curious paradox that Houston, one of the world's ugliest cities (and proud of it!) has some of it's greatest cultural treasures.
  • Reval
    2) No Sacred Music - it offends people of other cultures: Let's face it, while there are many wonderful Madrigals, Partsongs and Glees, the greatest part of the treasury of choral literature are sacred works, and with the desire to be inclusive (even in 'Catholic' Schools) this part of the repertoire is gone.

When my daughter sang in our Catholic HS choir, I attended one of those regional choral festivals / competitions. Our choir sang a Korean song, a couple of British secular songs, but the high quality public schools sang all kinds of religious Latin pieces. Go figure!
  • When my daughter sang in our Catholic HS choir, I attended one of those regional choral festivals / competitions. Our choir sang a Korean song, a couple of British secular songs, but the high quality public schools sang all kinds of religious Latin pieces. Go figure!

Probably better that way. The secular school music director can say "this is what the people who wrote the words meant by them. I don't expect you to believe it, but you need to act as though you do, and convey that meaning.". Whereas a Catholic school music director would get into trouble for a comment like that - even if s/he know that half of the choir don't really believe in God, far less have a relationship with Jesus.
  • I don't think people react so differently ... a diocesan youth rally.... We busted out with the Veni Creator--and the silence was astounding.

Selection bias at work. The type of kids who would even consider going to a diocesan youth rally are a world apart from the range at a regular school events.