"Pretty" v. Beautiful
  • dad29
    Had a brief discussion with a fellow singer last night regarding a piece of music we are going to sing. It was "pretty" music, based on some Scripture passage, dedicated to a Baptist church/choir.

Anyhow, my friend remarked that it certainly was "pretty." I agreed, but reminded him that "pretty" is not the same as "beautiful" because Beauty incorporates a bit of majesty or dignity and mystery--both of which were lacking in the piece, although it was well-constructed.

Your thoughts are welcome!
  • GavinGavin
    Beauty is something I like, pretty is something someone else likes.

I don't care how much ink gets spilled, that's always my takeaway on these sorts of discussions.
  • GavinGavin
    Although I will mention some compelling discussions from grad school about beauty vs. sublimity. I found these quite interesting, as the "sublime" is not a category I've ever considered (or understood).

In short, the philosophical distinction made was that "beauty" is consonance and eupony. It's a major triad, a natural text-setting, a predictable periodic phrase structure. "Sublimity" is mystery, majesty, and shock. Sudden changes, dramatic effect, unexpected stasis.

I dare to say that chant has a combination of these qualities, though I find it more sublime than beautiful. Beauty is not mysterious; it is simple and perfect.

As fascinated as I am by musical philosophical discussion, I find it quite useless in the real world. If someone likes "On Eagle's Wings", I don't engage that person in a philosophical discussion. I just say, "That's garbage music," and refuse to do it.
  • I think the difference between "beautiful" and "goodness of form" must be discussed as well. Things that are classically beautiful can be defined as so because they have "goodness of form:" they are done well according to the rules and principles that govern the art or craft in discussion, in this case music.
  • dad29
    I think that "goodness of form" is a sine qua non of the Beautiful. Thanks for bringing that into the discussion!

If someone likes "On Eagle's Wings", I don't engage that person in a philosophical discussion. I just say, "That's garbage music," and refuse to do it.

Well, I agree with you, although your methodology is....ahhh........less than diplomatic. Say you're having that discussion with a friend, then respond. Iggle's--to me--is "pretty," rather than Beautiful.
  • In a (very) charitable moment one might say that the paintings of Kinkaid are pretty, as opposed to those of Monet (or....), which are beautiful. On some days I am even almost tempted to regard the work of Watteau as pretty rather than beautiful. Beauty, in fact, may be not at all pretty; for instance, Goya's illustrations of the horrors of the Napoleonic occupation of Spain. Pretty somehow manages to stay just on the right side of the good-bad taste line, most often, just barely. Pretty's appeal is to surface emotion, rarely to the intellect, and it has no intellectual substance. Beauty is like an icon: it speaks of more than meets the eye.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • SalieriSalieri
    To me the term 'pretty' is the musical equivalent of a doily. It's attractive, nice to look at, delicate, even well constructed, but of very little intellectual substance. (That's my beef with *coughs* Mozart - it's 'doily music'.) And doilies are sometimes of no real purpose other than to look nice: Does a lace antimacassar really protect the chair from getting dirty? There are many popular hymns which I think are pretty, but they are not beautiful, it is simply doily music, it doesn't have much intellectual substance. 'Beautiful', to me, implies not only the surface artifice of a piece, but also it's intellectual substance which gives it the ability to wear well and bear repeated hearing - there's always something new. To continue the analogy (which always falls short of the reality), it's like a fine damask: it contains all the same qualities as the doily, but also added weight, strength, and a stronger fabric - no pun intended - there's more to it.
  • Doily music. Interesting analogy. I wouldn't, though, agree that Mozart is doily music. Thinking that there isn't genuine substance even to Eine kleine... would be to dismiss what merely appears to be purely surface content. Mozart, in contrast to lesser clacissists, is very deep, often profound, and never just pretty.
    But, back to doily music. Let's see: I don't think that we could call the sacro-pop idiom so prevalent in our churches either pretty, or doily music... maybe, um, oil cloth???
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I concur with Gavin. And as much as I appreciate Dad's take on nearly everything, I see no value in engaging in the same pedantical, semantical and rhetorical "elephant talk" about a difference in values.By all means, do carry on if you must.
    If someone likes "On Eagle's Wings", I don't engage that person in a philosophical discussion. I just say, "That's garbage music," and refuse to do it.

Jackson, all of your eloquent art history allusions are fine and particularly dandy, roccoco even. But like "leaves of the grass" soon they will wither. You can adhere to a set of values that prefers Vermeer over El Greco, or Gainsborough over Turner, but like everything else, the 20th century blew up the art infrastructure to shreds and remnants. And you're left with Warhol v. Miro v. Pollack etc. But the real story is, wherein lies this value called "beauty?" I am moved to tears by the Buonarrati's and Raphaels of the Sistine Chapel. I have also been moved to tears by the "art" of Bill Watterston via his famed comic strip, "Calvin and Hobbes." Like Gavin sez, call me an idiot, I dunna care.

However, using your formula above, we could conclude you initially would adjudicate Elizabeth Taylor as a beautiful woman of the 20th century, but Helen Keller would then be, what? (Not garbage) "ugly.....off putting.....not worthy of discussion?" Grant you, you do point out, "Beauty is like an icon: it speaks of more than meets the eye." I would change "meets" to "pleases." But your example contradicts that essential value.

Nothing to see here, moving on.
    Thanked by 2PurpleSquirrel Gavin
  • kevinfkevinf
    Ernest Hello, the sadly unknown French philosopher and theologian argues that Beauty possesses of itself Truth beyond its present moment.

My .02
  • "Truth beyond its present moment." Well said.
    My daughter, when all dolled-up, is very pretty.
    When she was born, covered in goo, blood, mucus, & even poop, she was beautiful. Very beautiful.
    I guess it depends on what music one has been exposed to. It's all about perspective.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Mystery, majesty, purity, simplicity = Beauty (Gregorian chant falls into this category)

appealing to a nostalgic sense and emotional without substance?= Pretty. (Eagles wings)
  • I just say, "That's garbage music," and refuse to do it."

Golly, I just can't figure out why people think CMAA'ers are snobs! Surely no one could be insulted by such a comment.
  • dad29
    Beauty possesses of itself Truth beyond its present moment.

Very elegant, indeed.

Salieri: Mozart's C Minor, Requiem, and Don G are "doilies"? Really?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Charles -
    In your zeal to scuttle whatever paltry value there might have been in my above remarks, you, yourself, have provided a telling example of the perils of mistaking appearance for the substance of beauty, which is, in addition, evidence that real beauty is not always 'pretty'. You allude to two women: the actress Elizabeth Taylor, and the noted Helen Keller. One of these women (you can decide which) was considered by quite a few to be 'beautiful'. The other was not at all pretty or 'beautiful'. The first was, though, not at all a very beautiful person (she actually chalked up almost as many husbands as Henry VIIIth had wives!), while the second was, by a higher standard of judgment, quite beautiful in the many ways that really matter. You have, perhaps not unwittingly (?), provided us with a pungent example of true beauty! Further, I did not equate artistic beauty only with art of earlier times. You are quite right: the XXth century has, in its revolutionary way, given us much beauty (as well as much over-rated pop-art rubish - you mention Warhol, for instance) in the works of quite a number of modern artists whose work (Klee, Miro, Matisse, Chagal, for instance, not to mention the great PP) has defined the art of our two centuries; and which, lest one be deceived or patently incorrect, has surprising antecedents and inspirations in our great art of past epochs.
    Best regards -
    Jackson
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    I am happily insulted by that comment, Noel.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • And, back to Mozart. It would seem to me that his music may be a case of surface beauty being so utterly scintillating, so extraordinarily, delightfully pleasurable both to intellect and emotion that one may, while entranced with this mantle of exquisite perfection, be led prematurely to conclude that there is nothing more. Of course, if this does not lead one to apprehend that there is much more in daring of form, tonality, rhythm, dynamic, and every measure of profound musical creative genius characteristic of the late XVIIIth century in substantial organic unity with the captivating outer garment, which is but the radiance of the inner reality, then one has, indeed, mistaken the raiment for the even more gorgeous entity beneath it. One cannot but admit that some of his very early work is, in a word, 'child's play'. But not much time had elapsed to reveal him to be a rare poet, an unparalleled master of musical craft, and a innovator who opened the door to Beethoven - though, one hastens to add: his greatness was not that he opened doors through which for giants to enter, but it was, indeed, sui generis, self-evident, and self-sufficient. It is well known that Brahms wrote some less than perfect things and destroyed them all, leaving us nothing but masterpieces. Mozart, on the other hand, had no need to destroy anything: it was all pretty much perfect. Scratching below the surface will reveal this. (Still, I like his masses only as sacred musical works, as Geistliche konzerten - pardon my German - not as liturgy.)
  • Liam
    The other thing about Mozart's music (he's not unique in this regard, however, lest anyone get that impression from my comment here) is that it's most deeply appreciated by singers and ensemble players in the performing of it. Reading the score or listening to a recording are very different experiences from that.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Dad29: oddly enough, the three pieces you cite are three of the pieces by Mozart I actually enjoy listening to - add to that list Cosi, Figaro and the missae brevis, and you have Mozart 'likes'. Oh, and add Clarinet Quintet & Clarinet Concerto.
  • dad29
    And, of course, the Coronation Mass.

Mozart, like other real smart guys, understood the text and used the music to illustrate it. That ain't a cakewalk when writing in a metered context.
  • kevinfkevinf
    So what we are saying is that Mozart does or does not exemplify beauty! I am confused.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • The Clarinet Concerto is probably one of my favorite Mozart compositions. I'm a clarinetist, so I'm biased. Ever played/heard that on a basset horn?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Not related to any particular comments as of yet, but just to add to the discussion: I have come to believe that one with some true ability in music (or this can also be extended to any art) should - if they are as skilled as they claim - be able to find beauty even in a work they don't particularly like or enjoy.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Mozarteans, don't forget the Oboe Quartet (for oboe, violin, viola, cello). I know several flautists that like to play it, too.
  • If I remember properly, Charles is an oboist so there might be some bias there (for me with the clar concerto, there definitely is! *purple bold, can't really do that with my phone*
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kevin,

I think what we're saying is that listening to Mozart with doilies stuffed in your ears is the wrong way.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Thank you. I feel better now.