ID a Pange Lingua tune
  • At some point (not later than 2012) I did a setting of a chant for Pange Lingua... not the usual one. I surely would have picked it up here, and probably set the tune as some sort of challenge here. I've done all kinds of searching of past Forum posts and not come up with it. I'm turning it into a Crux fidelis for my schola, and it has commercial potential, so I probably should figure out what it is. It begins thus (in solfege):
    r r-l l l s f s s r r f s f m-r r
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I assume the r-l is an upward leap (of a fifth, re-la). At any rate, I don't recall ever seeing anything like this tune, either in equalist notation or with the r-l & m-r as subdivisions of the basic tactus (although, in this latter context, it sounds vaguely like a Shaker or other early(?) English or American tune).
  • I think your version can be found in Cantus Selecti, p. 245*.
    It seems also to have made the cut for the Liber Brevior, p. 637, where it is labeled "Simple Tone".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, thanks Johnathan.
  • BenBen
    Beat me to it Jonathan!
  • Thank you! My brevior is in the car; I'll check it tonight.
    I didn't get it finished for last night's rehearsal, but... the young son didn't have night shift work, so I didn't lose 2/3 of the choir 2/3 into the rehearsal. So I started teaching the Faure Ave Verum. And after working the first page, I just let them read to the end. And they did it! Not well, but they didn't break down. And they retained this week's Eucharistic motet from a month ago. Yay!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen